The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

You just know when you buy a 16 year old FIAT, your welder isn't going to be sat idle.

IMG_20200507_161534.thumb.jpg.841fe60a6c14c2a7b0209e1cf01e54fe.jpg

Although I could have waited for Boris to give me a 6 month extension to the MoT I chose the "what's it going to fail for option" (I bought it in Feb). Yep, both sills at the rear end. My tester spotted it so having failed this am I'm now in the dog house with Mrs BMH (it's her car) for spending until 7 tonight fixing it. Hopefully have a new test tomorrow and she might be happier.

Ah, that's always a good job to get the heart going... removing the lithium polymer battery from a smartphone where it's *really* firmly attached to the chassis.  So the only way to shift it is brute force, wrenching and levering.  Of a lithium polymer battery, which is already six years old so past its best, and has no case or anything...just one of those ones wrapped in glorified tape.

Opted for doing the violent part outside on the concrete slab area out back so I could adopt the "drop it and leg it" approach if the battery had decided to show signs of displeasure at being forcefully removed.

Thankfully it didn't, so the new one can go back in tomorrow once it arrives.

2 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

You just know when you buy a 16 year old FIAT, your welder isn't going to be sat idle.

IMG_20200507_161534.thumb.jpg.841fe60a6c14c2a7b0209e1cf01e54fe.jpg

Although I could have waited for Boris to give me a 6 month extension to the MoT I chose the "what's it going to fail for option" (I bought it in Feb). Yep, both sills at the rear end. My tester spotted it so having failed this am I'm now in the dog house with Mrs BMH (it's her car) for spending until 7 tonight fixing it. Hopefully have a new test tomorrow and she might be happier.

Fairplay to you though! Which model of Fiat is it?

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

Quite, quite jealous of @MikeKnight 's latest aquisition.  Hopefully he'll tell you all about it, and the exciting collection adventure he had today.

Well will you look at that, I stopped being lazy for four seconds.

Now I'll go back to watching YouTube and picking the lint out of my belly button.

No 75 on Sunday after all. The seller has to phone DVLA to tax it as the V5 was sent to them in an attempt to hurry the plate change along. Unfortunately as it's a bank holiday they are shut :(

If it wasn't for his offer of delivery I wouldn't be getting it at all so I don't mind!

Next weekend I hope....

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

No 75 on Sunday after all. The seller has to phone DVLA to tax it as the V5 was sent to them in an attempt to hurry the plate change along. Unfortunately as it's a bank holiday they are shut :(

If it wasn't for his offer of delivery I wouldn't be getting it at all so I don't mind!

Next weekend I hope....

Has the seller heard of the Internet?!

They sent the V5 off thinking it would speed things up so now the only way of taxing the car is either by the registered keeper phoning them or for me to complete a V62. The latter isn't an option as the seller would lose his private plate which I don't want.

I would have loved to get the car this weekend but he was very apologetic, no need to be though as another week is no hassle. 

Finally got around to looking around the kangoo.  Heres the sight that greated me under the oil cap. Im guessing head gasket might be a problem.

Its a 1.2 pez so same as clio engine. Think code is D4F or something along those lines. 

Are these engines known for HGF? 

About 110000 miles on the clock. 2006 reg

Edit : seems its common enough on this engine due to poor oil breathing setup and long filler neck. Advice is to clean it off and carry on. Will do that so

20200508_142844.jpg

18 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Ah, that's always a good job to get the heart going... removing the lithium polymer battery from a smartphone where it's *really* firmly attached to the chassis.  So the only way to shift it is brute force, wrenching and levering.  Of a lithium polymer battery, which is already six years old so past its best, and has no case or anything...just one of those ones wrapped in glorified tape.

Opted for doing the violent part outside on the concrete slab area out back so I could adopt the "drop it and leg it" approach if the battery had decided to show signs of displeasure at being forcefully removed.

Thankfully it didn't, so the new one can go back in tomorrow once it arrives.

I recall doing one on daughters Iphone6 which as firmly glued, it began to get extremely hot very quickly so was ripped out and lashed in the garden 

2 hours ago, Kiltox said:

A V62 wouldn’t get processed anyway, DVLA are closed to anything on paper effectively. 

It sounds a right mess. I’m not sure i would want to get involved until the seller has a V5 again. 

You can tax it with a completed one though. Allegedly.

Hopefully it will all be sorted in 6 months when I need to tax it but all that's really at risk is his rights to the private plate, should I need to apply for a V5 myself. I really want the car thought so am prepared to take the risk this time.

2 hours ago, 00833827 said:

Finally got around to looking around the kangoo.  Heres the sight that greated me under the oil cap. Im guessing head gasket might be a problem.

Its a 1.2 pez so same as clio engine. Think code is D4F or something along those lines. 

Edit : seems its common enough on this engine due to poor oil breathing setup and long filler neck. Advice is to clean it off and carry on. Will do that so

20200508_142844.jpg

Short journeys will do that to just about any car. I'll second the advice you were given and just carry in, provided all else is well!

I went out for my ‘exercise’ today, it’s a glorious day down here so went for a long walk out in the local countryside and through the woods on the South Downs. Lovely day, nobody about apart from a couple of other walkers and the sun was lovely and warm while walking so I’ll probably get a bit of a tan!

Makes you realise just how good the countryside actually is in this country. It really does take some beating!

23 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Anyway, since I'm not getting my 75 this weekend, I decided to try out this new spray wax I got from eBay on the Audi. It's not like it's not already had a polish and 2 coats of sealant! 

It's good stuff though, you need to buff it off somewhat with a second microfibre.

IMG_20200508_160946.jpg

IMG_20200508_160849.jpg

IMG_20200508_160908.jpg

IMG_20200508_160929.jpg

That's looking smart ?

Flags aren’t my thing. Rightly or wrongly I feel that they’ve been hijacked over the years. I saw how divisive they are when I first went to Northern Ireland on work, and the fact they always turn up every two years in white vans around football events makes me twitch further. 

Still. This gave me the goosebumps. This is THE flag flown in my village 75 years ago - May 8th 1945. Flying in exactly the same place as it did that day. Wonderful. Just look at it.

0C07EE63-8E8E-420A-91A3-7F674C90C4F1.thumb.jpeg.9d47a1bea275d2f585bd35d5a95a4835.jpeg

Yes, the village has been largely Unionwashed. You’d think “we” won the war singlehandedly. Still, lots of people out and about and a few old relics out on parade as well. 

7F9E7A24-C2E5-4BDF-BE5C-59491BD6FF2F.thumb.jpeg.bfea65f386fef9b819f151c2f22f99a4.jpeg

4 hours ago, 00833827 said:

20200508_142844.jpg

Pass me the salad, this one's a goodun!

6 hours ago, 00833827 said:

20200508_142844.jpg

Short runs? I service my brother's Twingo (Also D4F) and his always looked a bit like that... I'm not saying it's not HGF, but from my extensive testing on a sample size of one vehicle it seems like TADTS.

8 hours ago, meshking said:

Found this in my loft. Anyone recognise what it might be from?

Will assume it's scrap, but don't want to be throwing something away that could be recored because it's from a 1916 horsey horseless of which only 3 were made.

IMG-20200508-WA0002.jpeg

It’s from a water-cooled vehicle.