The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

11 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Its nice to see a 959 in that colour, I remember seeing one parked up in the West End in Morecambe about 20 years ago, it was probably worth more than the whole street even back then.

A black 911 turbo has just gone on the trailer- running like a pig and the smoke looked like a tamp steamer was outside. 

The bloke that used to live across the road had a TVR Tuscan from new. It was a dreadful lime green thing on a K plate and he told me that it had the 3.1 litre version of the Essex V6. From the way he had to start it up each morning, it certainly had no chokes on the carburettors.

May have found the air leak into the diesel on the BX.  Pretty sure that diesel shouldn't be coming out of the throttle spindle (or at least, the bid that holds the throttle bracket on top of the injector pump, which I assume is the throttle spindle) and you definitely shouldn't have to almost continually push the primer button to get the car to idle.  Full update later in the thread when I've more time spare to do so.

SMOLL UPDATE...

Dudley is still languishing at FATHA’S awaiting and MOT and sellage when all this covid shit is out of the way.

SWMBO took a leave of her senses and has actually agreed I can purchase another vehicle! I obviously went and had a look for my next victim. It has to be an estate, cheap-ish and have a bit of poke in it. So the obvious choice is this....

772F7355-BE46-4758-95FC-18CC568AC08C.thumb.jpeg.ae40d092e34a869077d49bf9ef39848c.jpeg

https://www.highline-autos.co.uk/used-cars/ford-focus-2-0-st-170-5dr-wantage-202004118922168

Rare ST170 estate, which is TEH SEX. I’ve already nicknamed it ‘The Hearse’.

The plan would be to possibly do a deal with my a Fiesta, as it’s still financed. The cost of paying off the Fiesta is very close to the value of the car now. It’s only worth a few hundred more than the Focus at the moment. Obviously with lockdown etc. things are a little difficult and it’s a fair distance from mine so it’s not as though I can nip round the corner. I emailed the guy and he asked about taking the Fiesta as a part exchange. I sent him some photos but I haven’t had a reply from him.

How long do I leave it before asking him again? I don’t want to come across as pestering him. It’s not as though it’ll be sold any time soon. The car has been at the garage for a long time, I think it was very overpriced (and maybe it still is) but still, just look at it. I’d be the man if I had that, for sure. Do I ask or just leave it and stop being a knob about it? Any suggestions are welcome guys.

Spent this afternoon and most of the evening. Tackling what I thought would be a few hrs work. Which was replacing a knackard passenger droplink on the Stilo SW. 

The top bolt took some effort as expected but played ball. The lower bolt though had other ideas. After realising I wasn't going to get anywhere with it, other than gain more skinned knuckles. I resorted to borrowing a Blow Torch. 

5 mins later and it was off! An the best part is that annoying rattle over bumps, has finally been banished.

I know it's not a major job to most here. But normally I'd farm out this job to a garage. So to actually fix it myself is a right result. 

IMG_20200506_190828.thumb.jpg.871906d47d19fddae1c24db578054de9.jpg

I did get one for the Driver's side too, but as it's seam's fine. I'm happy to call it quits for now.

1 hour ago, greengartside said:

SMOLL UPDATE...

Dudley is still languishing at FATHA’S awaiting and MOT and sellage when all this covid shit is out of the way.

SWMBO took a leave of her senses and has actually agreed I can purchase another vehicle! I obviously went and had a look for my next victim. It has to be an estate, cheap-ish and have a bit of poke in it. So the obvious choice is this....

772F7355-BE46-4758-95FC-18CC568AC08C.thumb.jpeg.ae40d092e34a869077d49bf9ef39848c.jpeg

https://www.highline-autos.co.uk/used-cars/ford-focus-2-0-st-170-5dr-wantage-202004118922168

Rare ST170 estate, which is TEH SEX. I’ve already nicknamed it ‘The Hearse’.

The plan would be to possibly do a deal with my a Fiesta, as it’s still financed. The cost of paying off the Fiesta is very close to the value of the car now. It’s only worth a few hundred more than the Focus at the moment. Obviously with lockdown etc. things are a little difficult and it’s a fair distance from mine so it’s not as though I can nip round the corner. I emailed the guy and he asked about taking the Fiesta as a part exchange. I sent him some photos but I haven’t had a reply from him.

How long do I leave it before asking him again? I don’t want to come across as pestering him. It’s not as though it’ll be sold any time soon. The car has been at the garage for a long time, I think it was very overpriced (and maybe it still is) but still, just look at it. I’d be the man if I had that, for sure. Do I ask or just leave it and stop being a knob about it? Any suggestions are welcome guys.

dont want to sound disrespectful but 2 grand for a 04 mk1 focus with a luke warm  2.0 engine appears rather steep! never seen a mk1 (aside an RS) for more than a grand for a long time, am i missing something? Granted its rare in a 'estate but its still not what i'd class as low miles or anything. 

just done a quick search and granted it isn't as clean but £300 sold...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-ST170-Estate-RARE-NO-RESERVE-99p-start/184202777620?hash=item2ae3575414:g:jOsAAOSwEXZeZT-6

not saying ive anything against them, it does look quite smart, but feel you could get more bang for your buck.

It's only an easy job if the drop link you are removing has been on the car for less than three minutes.  Any longer than that and the nylock nut will have corroded into an amorphous blob of rust, and the little allen socket on the end of the bolt to prevent the ball joint spinning in the socket will round out if you apply more than 0.000003 Nm of torque to it.

Droplinks are bastards! I usually rip the boot off the inner side and mole grip them clamped then undo the bolt. 

Then on the new ones I smear coppaslip all over the thread and fill the little torx hole they have in the vain hope it makes it easier next time... Then I usually get rid of the car before they need changing! 

Not car news but a small win, in terms of tool & equipment repairs.

I had purchased an LED, Rechargeable Spot lamp from a retailer at the NEC some 3 or 4 years ago. A decent lamp that threw a good amount of light onto your working area and would last over an hour or so, on one charge. Recently the working time had come down to 10 minutes, so I decided to investigate rather than scrap it and buy a new one (£20 to £45 depending on spec & retailer). Rated at 7.2v, 4000mAh the battery pack showed 8.0v fully charged. The voltage would reduce with the lamp on, naturally, and the lamp would stop working at 6.5v after 10 minutes. All other circuits and boards looked in good order so i disconnected the battery pack and removed the outer shrink wrap.

There was 4 x 3.6v 18650 cells, as you would find in laptop packs (and Tesla battery packs). I have some old cells that I could have used for a free repair, but their capacity wasn't great and I would have been stuck with the cheap, Chinese battery management board (shutting down at 6.5v). I looked on the RS website and found a 7.2v Li-ion 5200mAh pack of 4 cells, with a management board that would cut out at a more sensible 5.4v, costing £27 delivered (which I had budgeted for anyhow). Fitted, charged and tested gave a working time of almost 4 hours which I think is pretty impressive for a small unit. Batteries didn't get too hot either so all-in-all, job bobbed. Ironically the lamp is made by Faithfull............

2113952024_LED_Batt(2).thumb.jpg.7bffa2a3b776b3cea18d4d7a6f0be1ca.jpg

You just know when you buy a 16 year old FIAT, your welder isn't going to be sat idle.

IMG_20200507_161534.thumb.jpg.841fe60a6c14c2a7b0209e1cf01e54fe.jpg

Although I could have waited for Boris to give me a 6 month extension to the MoT I chose the "what's it going to fail for option" (I bought it in Feb). Yep, both sills at the rear end. My tester spotted it so having failed this am I'm now in the dog house with Mrs BMH (it's her car) for spending until 7 tonight fixing it. Hopefully have a new test tomorrow and she might be happier.

Ah, that's always a good job to get the heart going... removing the lithium polymer battery from a smartphone where it's *really* firmly attached to the chassis.  So the only way to shift it is brute force, wrenching and levering.  Of a lithium polymer battery, which is already six years old so past its best, and has no case or anything...just one of those ones wrapped in glorified tape.

Opted for doing the violent part outside on the concrete slab area out back so I could adopt the "drop it and leg it" approach if the battery had decided to show signs of displeasure at being forcefully removed.

Thankfully it didn't, so the new one can go back in tomorrow once it arrives.

2 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

You just know when you buy a 16 year old FIAT, your welder isn't going to be sat idle.

IMG_20200507_161534.thumb.jpg.841fe60a6c14c2a7b0209e1cf01e54fe.jpg

Although I could have waited for Boris to give me a 6 month extension to the MoT I chose the "what's it going to fail for option" (I bought it in Feb). Yep, both sills at the rear end. My tester spotted it so having failed this am I'm now in the dog house with Mrs BMH (it's her car) for spending until 7 tonight fixing it. Hopefully have a new test tomorrow and she might be happier.

Fairplay to you though! Which model of Fiat is it?