The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

GSA has sprung a minor LHM leak. It looks like I really need to get under the car to investigate, but has left me realising how perilous it is to rely on a 34-year old hydropneumatic Citroen as my only car. 

So, I'm pondering trying to find an MOT garage and getting the Matiz or 2CV out of storage. Which one to choose? I reckon both stand a fair chance of a pass.

2CV clearly...

Because what’s better than having a 34 year old Citroen to rely on.... 

Having two 34 year old Citroens to rely on! 

Talking of 2CVs... 

Mine got an oil change today. Needs a new air filter (which I thought I had for some reason but turns out I was wrong) and there’s a definite oil leak from the front of the engine somewhere, but I couldn’t work or where. I’ll monitor... 

99859867-C312-4EAE-AEF4-26348812C0F8.jpeg

As the MoT was extended on Friday I gave it a good checkover too. Underside is amazing no rust at all, suspension needs oiling, but the knife edges looked well greased. Couple of rubber boots starting to show early signs of perishing but ok for now.  All in all a very satisfactory checkover, went through the MoT checklist and could find no reasons not to keep using it until it’s new date in November. 

Well the 75 now has its shiny new exhaust fully fitted, and the V70 has an openable nearside rear door, so that's two jobs jobbed. 

The exhaust I bought came in two sections with a sleeve to join the two, rather than the single section of the original exhaust.  This made it a lot easier to handle for fitting purposes, but harder to judge the angles at which the bends in the pipe needed to sit - I didn't get it quite right on the centre section, so that is sitting about an inch too far to the offside and needed a bit of careful adjustment on the height with the aid of a scissor jack when joining the two halves together, but I've taken it for a drive and it doesn't knock on anything over bumps so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

The problems with the Volvo's central locking have been alluded to elsewhere.  I've essentially deactivated the central locking on both rear doors - they now lock using the plunger and unlock by pulling on the interior handle.  I rarely use the back doors anyway (the car usually has the back seats folded down) so as long as they open for the MOT that's all I'm worried about.  It still needs a tyre and the back box welding back on, but after that it should be nearly ready for a test.

The Scudo van is continuing its steady descent towards the scrapyard.  In addition to HGF it's now developed a fuel leak - diesel is pissing out from the fuel filter.  I'm not going to bother fixing it.  Ironically the van still starts first time every time, even when left for weeks, which is more than can be said for a lot of the fleet, but even so it has not been one of my better purchases.  When funds and travel restrictions permit I will be on the lookout for another van.

12 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Did you clean the discs ???

Yes I made sure they were spotless but that said I did have a bit of a struggle with one of the pads not clipping in properly so may have got a smear of something on the back of the disc.  I will give them another wipe over to eliminate that possibility as a smear of copper on the disc isn’t going to help anyone. 

I will get the system bled ASAP anyway.  Realised the fluid was last changed in 2013 so massively overdue.  I planned to do it myself but by the time i have bought brake bleeding kids and faffed about getting the car in the air only to immediately break a nipple I thought I would let someone else have that pleasure. It’s not expensive and there is a very good local firm I use for odds and sods so it will give them something to do.

15 hours ago, Parky said:

Pedal doesn’t go down much, certainly no lower than previous but you are right, there isn’t a lot of bite there.  I did take it up to 50 and then whacked the anchors on and performance was ok, it certainly pulled up straight but didn’t have the instant sharpness it used to have.  Maybe the pads are harder/softer or it just needs bedding in as suggested.

This has pretty much been my experience every time I've done discs/pads- they always feel poor/ineffective for a while until they get used to each other.

Obviously brakes are important and I haven't directly tested yours but from your description that doesn't sound sinister or unusual.

16 hours ago, brownnova said:

Talking of 2CVs... 

Mine got an oil change today. Needs a new air filter (which I thought I had for some reason but turns out I was wrong) and there’s a definite oil leak from the front of the engine somewhere, but I couldn’t work or where. I’ll monitor... 

99859867-C312-4EAE-AEF4-26348812C0F8.jpeg

As the MoT was extended on Friday I gave it a good checkover too. Underside is amazing no rust at all, suspension needs oiling, but the knife edges looked well greased. Couple of rubber boots starting to show early signs of perishing but ok for now.  All in all a very satisfactory checkover, went through the MoT checklist and could find no reasons not to keep using it until it’s new date in November. 

Don't rush to buy a new air filter. If it's still intact, just give it a wash in petrol, give it a sprinkle of light oil and put it back.

I've finally a lead on what caused my Golf to cut out on me a few months back (okay, alot of months back). Finally managed to throw a computer on it and 4 faults related to the fuel pump came up, all related to the relay. So fingers crossed it is just the relay itself. Huzzah.

Not done much with that, over the winter kept it covered and been starting it up and moving as well as keeping a basic check on things. 

Today, in The House That Bucknell Built, it's a visit to the kitchen.  Looks quite nice now, all things considered.  Clean, servicable, functional, if a little tired.

202005-Kitchen01.thumb.jpg.216fcb26aad42be64fb9ab667aacfccf.jpg

It was time to remove the wallpaper today, of which there are multiple layers, some of them vinyl type.  Yesterday I'd already removed some tiles (that had been painted with emulsion, naturally) which was easy in some places since they were put directly over wallpaper.  Because of course they were.  Removing the paper removed some of the plastic trim around the upvc window, because they'd put the trim over the paper, because of course they had.  Then the plastic trim came off, it took some of the tiles with it, because of course it did.  Then we found most of the tiles on the window sill were actually siliconed in place, because of course they were.  As the tiles came off, they took the upvc splash trim across the back of the sink and under that was a thick layer of polyfilla to make up the gap, because of course there was, which was trapping lots of water and making mould unseen and a lovely home for lots of silverfish.  So this job escalated a little bit.  Then we needed to remove the cupboard that holds the drawers, which meant removing the coach bolts (because of course you use coach bolts and square nuts to hold kitchen cabinets together), and the non-setting goopy white... sealant?... that was doing a sterling job of being a water trap between the sink and countertop.  Finally we got the cupboard out to deal with the tiles, etc. and... yeah.

202005-Kitchen02.thumb.jpg.87bbd82827d66ee1230a92e28cbb546c.jpg

This house keeps surprising us in new and unusual ways!  Suffice to say I did not finish removing the wallpaper today.

3 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Today, in The House That Bucknell Built, it's a visit to the kitchen.  Looks quite nice now, all things considered.  Clean, servicable, functional, if a little tired.

It was time to remove the wallpaper today, of which there are multiple layers, some of them vinyl type.  Yesterday I'd already removed some tiles (that had been painted with emulsion, naturally) which was easy in some places since they were put directly over wallpaper.  Because of course they were.  Removing the paper removed some of the plastic trim around the upvc window, because they'd put the trim over the paper, because of course they had.  Then the plastic trim came off, it took some of the tiles with it, because of course it did.  Then we found most of the tiles on the window sill were actually siliconed in place, because of course they were.  As the tiles came off, they took the upvc splash trim across the back of the sink and under that was a thick layer of polyfilla to make up the gap, because of course there was, which was trapping lots of water and making mould unseen and a lovely home for lots of silverfish.  So this job escalated a little bit.  Then we needed to remove the cupboard that holds the drawers, which meant removing the coach bolts (because of course you use coach bolts and square nuts to hold kitchen cabinets together), and the non-setting goopy white... sealant?... that was doing a sterling job of being a water trap between the sink and countertop.  Finally we got the cupboard out to deal with the tiles, etc. and... yeah.

This house keeps surprising us in new and unusual ways!  Suffice to say I did not finish removing the wallpaper today.

Liked for the entertaining words, not the extra work!

Yeah, you'd think that, right?  But no, the cooker was never there.  It was like that all down the back of the cupboard next to it, like someone just tipped waste oil down the wall.  It's just an absolute joy to work on, is this house.  An absolute joy.

Just been outside to fiddle with the damage. Have covered the mirror in wide tape to stop it falling apart and managed to clip the motor arrangement back together. Still works! Can't see much out of the smashed glass but better than it was before.

Have wiped down the side too and it looks better without the fur too.

For a laugh did an ebay search for the mirror part number - just the heated glass is £65 +post!

20200505_111343.jpg

1 hour ago, adw1977 said:

UK car registrations down 97%

BBC News - Coronavirus: UK car sales plunge to lowest level since 1946
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52508010

Rush out and pre-order your Jowett Javelin now(essential workers only)!

Something tells me that this heat duct on the Bluebird is a little* past its prime... 

New one has been painted and ready to go on, stubborn 9mm bolts holding the current one on though. I've soaked them in WD, will use the engine for a little heat application, and ordered up a 9mm six point socket. 

IMG_20200505_122054.jpg

19 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Yep...Sounds like the same folks owned your house as ours!

I think my favourite so far has been the old wiring for the lights in the bathroom left live, exposed, neatly coiled up underneath the loft insulation.  Oh, or the duct tape repair to the gas leak on the fire in the lounge.

34 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Quite an improvement already, just with a clay bar. Small dent near the handle and the mirror housing is cracked but the rest should polish out professionally.

7C41CF86-948C-45E7-B56E-B57A62F10341.jpeg

8E7F8B04-AB34-4667-8E7E-4AA8CA6F0240.jpeg

I’d definitely rather be hitting Bambi’s mum I your 124 rather than anything else in your fleet.