The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Thought I'd play scooter too.. reassembled... new battery.. nothing... fuse corroded inc holder, and pins on relay, also battery leads all cleaned up, thought I know I wont use starter I'll kick start it, lever solid, hmmm whip up spark plug wet and oily, thought I know id kick it over with plug make sure not seized,( i did used to always kick start it as regularly to stop seizing) well it moved freely and oil poured out spark plug hole, must've be oil locking, back I pop in spark plug and it's still doing it, next wonder if exhaust blocked, undid nuts, stood up and knee went snap, struggled indoors, almost tripped on the cat, taken drugs now laying on sofa in agony and stinking headache... bloody scooter hates me...enough for today

#quick rest on the sofa I went out removed the exhaust and was quite lot oil in it, but still wont turn over with spark plug fitted but will turn over minus the spark plug, any suggestions???

Just now, stuboy said:

Thought I'd play scooter too.. reassembled... new battery.. nothing... fuse corroded inc holder, and pins on relay, also battery leads all cleaned up, thought I know I wont use starter I'll kick start it, lever solid, hmmm whip up spark plug wet and oily, thought I know id kick it over with plug make sure not seized,( i did used to always kick start it as regularly to stop seizing) well it moved freely and oil poured out spark plug hole, must've be oil locking, back I pop in spark plug and it's still doing it, next wonder if exhaust blocked, undid nuts, stood up and knee went snap, struggled indoors, almost tripped on the cat, taken drugs now laying on sofa in agony and stinking headache... bloody scooter hates me...enough for today

#quick rest on the sofa I went out removed the exhaust and was quite lot oil in it, but still wont turn over with spark plug fitted but will turn over minus the spark plug, any suggestions???

20200425_163301.jpg

20200425_163335.jpg

20200425_163339.jpg

20200425_163344.jpg

20200425_175121.jpg

20200425_174953.jpg

@stuboy that's well flooded if it's pouring out the plug hole ! . Is it a two stroke ?Has it got a fuel tap? Don't leave it on pri if it has , on or res only . Take the plug out and keep kicking it to clear the fuel if it's a 2 stroke .

Legacy is playing silly buggers running out of electric and stalling at junctions. Going to look at it properly tomorrow. However, on the assumption that it might not be working for a little bit I decided to put the 944 back together today as the Legacy was my only working car. 

Wing looks okay, nowt a bit of filler can't sort out and defo better than it was before. 

IMG_20200425_195950.thumb.jpg.ee99774ff29ed93346dfe9786327c9e6.jpg

I recharged the Legacy battery in the week and it has held charge and was kicking out around 13 in the garage today and nearly 15 on the car so I'll see if I can locate a drain on it tomorrow.

Regarding the stalling it might need a bit of an Italian tune up, will see. 

The Visa does work but is MOT less at the mo. Need to sort that out sharpish so that I've got a backup. 

54 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Is it a two stroke ?Has it got a fuel tap? Don't leave it on pri if it has , on or res only . Take the plug out and keep kicking it to clear the fuel if it's a 2 stroke .

2 stroke yes, but why it locking up compression when spark plug in but remove it it fire out with both kick and electric starter??

@stuboy when they fill up with fuel the crankcase fills up also on a 2stroke , with the plug in its scooping up more fuel from the crankcase and hydro locking . Has it got a fuel tap ? If it's a on demand tap (vacum) type it might be stuck open filling the crankcase with fuel . Clamp the petrol pipe or tap off , plug out , full throttle and kick it over 20/30 times or crank on the starter . It's the fuel tap and or the float valve in the carb in my experience. I have been wrong before though ! . But the excess fuel is causing the lock up hopefully.

Sunny Saturday skip filling lockdown activity resulted in this, with assistance from the kids:

image.thumb.jpeg.b5c95c70928d0d20edabf0edc92d263c.jpeg

The two Skyline 240K engines (same basic straight-six lump as in my Laurel) have been sat there for a while, but buried under bags of kindling, old carpet and assorted dead domestic rammle. The other boxes of car parts were scattered elsewhere and getting in the way.

Knocked-up a rather crude timber frame and top with various old cast-off bits of timber I'd got, does the job nicely. The effect is now sullied slightly by the return of the kindling, but I need that more than I do the engines.

The engine crane is with me on what appears to be a permanent loan, from someone who hasn't got room to store it himself.

Looks like I still have some Acclaim parts from 20+ years ago, if only we knew someone who'd got one.......

Moving-on to insurance news, no refunds for me on my Ageas policy through FJ, but next year's renewal has dropped significantly. Was around £850 last time for modern Lexus plus four oldies, this year it's down to less than £660 (again with Ageas). The benefit of reaching the dark side of 50?

With the cat theft issue on Lexus/Toyota hybrids I was expecting a rise if anything.

9 minutes ago, Jmac said:

@stuboy when they fill up with fuel the crankcase fills up also on a 2stroke , with the plug in its scooping up more fuel from the crankcase and hydro locking . Has it got a fuel tap ? If it's a on demand tap (vacum) type it might be stuck open filling the crankcase with fuel . Clamp the petrol pipe or tap off , plug out , full throttle and kick it over 20/30 times or crank on the starter . It's the fuel tap and or the float valve in the carb in my experience. I have been wrong before though ! . But the excess fuel is causing the lock up hopefully.

seems only to be oil in exhaust

@stuboy ....Oil? Interesting .... Most of the auto scooters I know don't run gear oil , the variomatic belt runs on the end of the crankshaft and run dry . It might have a small transfer case with oil in it , the crank seal might be leaking . 

has it got a autolube tank ? Is that empty ? . 

What make and model is it ?

2 hours ago, stuboy said:

Is it the right plug? A long reach plug in a engine needing a standard or short reach plug may well contact the piston and stop it turning over.

I may or may not be slightly crazy, but I (virtually) signed to move to a new flat in 2 months' time. Only a smidgeon more expensive rent,  and much quieter and bigger.

I have booked a hire van from the hire firm for the move - an X-reg banana engine transit - is that in keeping with this site enough?

@stuboy well I'm at a loss then . I can't find a manual for it . Was going to check if it had a transfer case with oil in it / filler plug /level screw / drain plug . If it hasn't got oil in a gear / transfer case the only oil going near the engine is 2stroke oil ? . I'm puzzled now . If you know of online manual post up a link . I will keep looking . What year is it ?

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Sunny Saturday skip filling lockdown activity resulted in this, with assistance from the kids:

image.thumb.jpeg.b5c95c70928d0d20edabf0edc92d263c.jpeg

The two Skyline 240K engines (same basic straight-six lump as in my Laurel) have been sat there for a while, but buried under bags of kindling, old carpet and assorted dead domestic rammle. The other boxes of car parts were scattered elsewhere and getting in the way.

Knocked-up a rather crude timber frame and top with various old cast-off bits of timber I'd got, does the job nicely. The effect is now sullied slightly by the return of the kindling, but I need that more than I do the engines.

The engine crane is with me on what appears to be a permanent loan, from someone who hasn't got room to store it himself.

Ooh, an engine crane.  Interesting...

Got most of the way through fitting the new exhaust to the 75 this afternoon.  Didn't quite manage to finish the job as annoyingly the old exhaust clamp holding the front and centre sections together snapped when I tried to undo it, so I had to nick one of the new clamps for that bit, which means I need to order another clamp to hold the rear section on.  It's all on the car though, it's just loosely fitted together at the moment.  Waiting until next weekend to finish it won't make a lot of difference - the car's not going anywhere in the near future anyway.

I also need to do the rear brake pads at some point soon as they were an advisory on the last test, and a heavy old automatic like the 75 does get through pads.

On 4/21/2020 at 8:17 AM, RobT said:

I've done a buy.

20200420_134139.thumb.jpg.76e4f97d145e6617935efb590204097f.jpg

Having been floored by the poxy virus for two weeks and finally having some energy again, I felt like treating myself.  It's the one that appeared in the tat thread, and despite being a bit ropey is perfect for bombing around in locally (seeing as that's all we can do at the moment).

20200420_132320.thumb.jpg.f67dcbb7e4435b39b862d9cd1f5847b7.jpg

I had it delivered this morning so I didn't have unnecessary contact with people, and feeling bold I took it on an essential run to Sainsbury's.  Paintwork is flat, but for an ADO16 it's mostly solid, and despite only doing 800 miles in 14 years the engine runs really well.  Makes me realise the Metro could do with a tune up.  Plus it should keep me busy for a while.

Very nice, I had my eye on that for a while. The door cards look quite unusual, are they standard?:

13007572.thumb.jpg.bdc7284c59cdcb2132fd28ae8bd3d5b8.jpg

Inherited the FIL’s Grill yesterday. Like most things he’s had it a long time but even I was surprised when the wife dated it as 1990/91. 

Butane too for added shite points - oh and the ignition is broken so you get to dice with death every time you want a dirty burger. I prefer cooking on real fire myself but it was free and it’s SuperShite®️ so what’s a girl to do? 

B2C1F853-2354-457A-BC6D-B8688B0E9B09.thumb.jpeg.de43a072304dc6812d6ed0067832bb4e.jpeg

There has been chipping on the Audi's sill for a time and any attempt at touching it in has been thwarted by the bottom rubber strip rubbing the paint off before it dried.

I found some masking tape and have cans and cans of Hammerite which I originally bought for the now departed Clio.

So I decided to have a proper go today.

Rubbed down the chipped areas.

IMG_20200426_104913.thumb.jpg.9cc30dc83a360c3538ce43ece843e2f0.jpgIMG_20200426_104918.thumb.jpg.d4fc25177eec56188c15b65cce0e118f.jpg

IMG_20200426_104922.thumb.jpg.2ad08d792d638025befda38ac1125625.jpg

Masked off.

IMG_20200426_111542.thumb.jpg.6bf78468d3ce41946afd71131b6b085a.jpg

Cardboard rally flaps :)

IMG_20200426_111307.thumb.jpg.2601ce573a5aa217a828ba12602ddf6b.jpgIMG_20200426_111304.thumb.jpg.c5aaaf33a0a43c56f01c56c601f77607.jpg

First coat done, followed by another 5.

IMG_20200426_111542.thumb.jpg.6bf78468d3ce41946afd71131b6b085a.jpg

And done.

IMG_20200426_121450.thumb.jpg.c610b8f684b9107dea9236ffecf63c66.jpgIMG_20200426_121459.thumb.jpg.1bed3ec5f5141111e106b2f347e076a2.jpg

It's a bit blacker than it's meant to be but I reckon a few drives to the shops in next week's rain will weather it down.