The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I had my virtual car viewing last night and it went splendidly.

Pending conclusion of the (currently understandable) protracted length of time the DVLA are taking to action the owner's request to transfer his private plate to his new car then I see no reason why I will not own the car soon. I will be having it delivered to abide by Covid lockdown rules.

Those that know me even a bit will be unsurprised to know what it is!

On 4/21/2020 at 11:50 PM, N19 said:

Admiral insurance are apparently giving customers £25 each with no catch, in light of the reduced payouts expected through less use. .......

Yes they are. Was quite surprised to learn that I'd be getting £25 back on the CX insurance 

Took delivery of a full PAS system for the Audi today including brake accumulator and also with 1.8 specific springs and struts. I buy these parts when I can get them as they are hard to find for the smaller engined models.

In the Chipsticks box are the 2 strut towers for the Corsa.

IMG_20200423_163254.jpg

Wow...yes, those plastics were indeed in dire need of some attention.  Never realised how bad they were until getting some treatment onto them.

IMG_20200423_153242.thumb.jpg.105006df920eef911d6e416dd106b79f.jpg

Of course having got myself thoroughly sidetracked doing that when I randomly found the bottle in the garage, I've now utterly forgotten what I went outside to do in the first place.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Took delivery of a full PAS system for the Audi today including brake accumulator and also with 1.8 specific springs and struts. I buy these parts when I can get them as they are hard to find for the smaller engined models.

In the Chopsticks box are the 2 strut towers for the Corsa.

IMG_20200423_163254.jpg

Would you be interested in the purchase of my Audi A6 1.8t ? 2002

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Would you be interested in the purchase of my Audi A6 1.8t ? 2002

I'm currently waiting to see how this Rover 75 purchase pans out however if it falls through I may be in touch. I quite fancy an A6 to keep the cab company.

I went to Tesco in the Tempra this evening.  Got back out and it wouldn't start - battery was too flat to get the starter motor to kick in.  I had to get a push start off a couple who came out of the shop behind me (they offered, I didn't ask).  I then went a very long way round to get home so as to put a bit of charge in the battery - hopefully it'll be OK for a bit now.  It has an aftermarket immobiliser fitted which I think is probably what's draining it.

2 minutes ago, lanciamatt said:

They are ok, but my mums smart car didn't have a sump drain plug, but the original sump rotted through, when I changed sump the amount of crap sat in bottom was unreal, the car has only done 30k and was serviced every year. I'd recommend doing a normal oil change every other year to Get crap out of sump.just my opinion. 

Very much what I've always thought myself really, may well do just that.  But it is easy... and I am getting lazy...!

1 hour ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Dare say I am preaching to the converted here, but used an oil suction pump for the first time yesterday, whilst servicing the Audi...  Wow!  No mess, no jacking up/lying down...  Why have I not bought one before?!!!  

I have had mine for a couple of years now and it's great for all the reasons you mention. As long as you do regular oil changes I wouldn't worry about gunk in the bottom of the sump but if the car hasn't had one for a long time then indeed a normal change via the sump plug would be an idea. The lance on the pump is pretty small diameter.

3 minutes ago, Danterzza said:

Just purchased some shares in Aston Martin as there like 58p each at the moment.

Does that entitle me to a go in some of the old stuff, you know, being a shareholder and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. But it entitles you to attend the AGM and ask questions of the directors. 

57 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I have had mine for a couple of years now and it's great for all the reasons you mention. As long as you do regular oil changes I wouldn't worry about gunk in the bottom of the sump but if the car hasn't had one for a long time then indeed a normal change via the sump plug would be an idea. The lance on the pump is pretty small diameter.

I've used nothing else for the last six years. Whenever a new car enters the fleet I drain it via suction and then crack the plug to see what's been missed, on the Golf SDI and the C1 I literally couldn't get a single drop out! I've never seen any more than an egg cups worth out of any car. Needless to say, I really like the vacuum set ups.