The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well fuck.

That's 2 out of my 4 cars now officially rotten.

This is the Clio's OSF jacking point to outrigger join, or lack of it. Its always been flat and chewed looking but thought it appeared particularly dodgy when I was under it at the weekend. It took no effort to get into this.

With no skills or facilities to weld it and garages only taking on key workers cars, Vactan and heavy stone chip will have to suffice for now!

IMG_20200420_165229.jpg

IMG_20200420_165249.jpg

18 hours ago, wuvvum said:

This afternoon's task, after some time spent pissing around with the Merc's brakes, was to try and get the nearside rear door open on the V70. 

Got the door card off OK even with the door closed, which I was surprised about.  Frustratingly though I was unable to get to the bottom of what was preventing the door from opening.  Everything that I could see from looking inside the door was connected as it should be - the lock button raises and lowers the little brass lever, the cable to the internal door handle pulls on the bit it's supposed to pull on - but the catch isn't operating.  Pulling on the handles (either inside or outside) it feels like the door is locked.  I even tried sticking a screwdriver in between the catch and the door to see if I could get it to ping up that way, but no luck - although if it thinks it's locked it wouldn't ping open with a screwdriver anyway.

I can only assume that something has broken inside the bit of the catch mechanism which isn't accessible from inside the door due to being boxed in.  The boxed-in bit of the mechanism is held in with three Torx bolts, which are easy enough to access with the door open...  I must have been out there for a couple of hours trying everything I could think of, but the door is still resolutely closed.  I can foresee an appointment with an angle grinder in its future...

Could it be that the outside handle has failed, and the childlock is on?
I'm guessing that the trigger for the childlock isn't accessible from inside the door?

23 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Dull content warning:

Got the buffer out before, nice couple of hours graft including washing it twice, then polishing. The interior fag smell is nearly gone now, thank heavens.

IMG_20200419_175215.thumb.jpg.fa025fdf548662c558d57f0525c26f94.jpg

IMG_20200419_175422.thumb.jpg.9c16acba73d45b13d0fbd67fe42d5c8b.jpg

IMG_20200419_175432.thumb.jpg.fe29b851295853c7a00d79a5fb5b913a.jpg

IMG_20200419_175414.thumb.jpg.7bf69690040e0352de82c9134cddb14a.jpg

IMG_20200419_175723.thumb.jpg.71caafcaeba1eb58732d66b78d52e5fb.jpg

IMG_20200419_175658.thumb.jpg.062a0c2de99a1ed8f88bc5413c1fca7e.jpg

That looks very smart! 

Who are you and what have you done with the real Billy? 

2 hours ago, Volksy said:

Could it be that the outside handle has failed, and the childlock is on?
I'm guessing that the trigger for the childlock isn't accessible from inside the door?

That did occur to me, but as far as I can see all the gubbins for the exterior handle are connected as well.  I couldn't be 100% on that though as with the window up I couldn't operate the external handle from inside the car, and with the window down I couldn't see the handle gubbins as the window assembly was in the way.  Once we're allowed to talk to other people again I might have to get someone to haul on the external handle while I look inside the door to see what's happeneing, but that's probably clutching at straws a bit to be honest.

Indeed, the trigger for the childlock is on the rear edge of the door and not accessible until the door is open.

Sounds an awful lot of bother for a scrapyard door in the same colour and 15 minutes with the grinder... 

I had to re wire the door of the Zafira upside down with the doors closed (drivers opened with the key), it's a bastard, and it wasn't the lock, if it was that would have been game over. 

16 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Clio is getting collected by a breaker tomorrow. I don't want to do this but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Truly gutted but you cannot save them all.

Me too. Fancy another 1*2, although collection would be a bit of a pain in current circumstances. 

31 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Your silver one? What happened to it? No more Renault for me for as long as I live!

I sold it to @DialATune on here around October/November. I had four cars around, and needed to get a couple out of the way. Pretty much regretted it straight away! The ones I really wanted to keep were the ones that sold straight off!  

9 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Clio is getting collected by a breaker tomorrow. I don't want to do this but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Truly gutted but you cannot save them all.

Gutted. I always assumed I’d buy that off you! It’s lovely and such a shame. 

Enjoy the money. Must still be worth quite a bit non ?

I fetched my Dad’s XJ6 home yesterday from it’s repairing and I felt like a guest at an Ambassador’s soirée.

5BEF1B89-7ABA-46DA-B37C-DF23277EC8B2.thumb.jpeg.34a91ccc7a2c174e588523fc8cd8da3d.jpeg
Back to back, fat-man barge roadtest.

For me there’s little to choose between them: cabin noise is comparable, equally comfy seats and both possess looks that engorge my member. The XJ’s mirrors are more useful then the LS’s and since it’s module reprogramification, it feels more responsive on the throttle. The Lexus does have a 75k mile head start over the Jaag but you’d struggle to tell, such is its quality.

Verdict- Like trying to choose between a nude 24 hours with Fenella Fielding (Carry on Screaming era) or being gifted a YZR500, unpossible.

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Gutted. I always assumed I’d buy that off you! It’s lovely and such a shame. 

Enjoy the money. Must still be worth quite a bit non ?

750 for what is basically a rusty underneath but very tidy on top Clio. It's a big hit financially in one respect but in the other, it is a rusty Clio.

I had just spent ages polishing and waxing it and treating the leather on the seats together with an oil change using good Fuchs Titan 5w40. I'm pretty upset about it all to be honest but enough is enough.

No doubt something in the house will FTP and the money will be sucked up by that, as it always the way with my life!

2 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

No doubt something in the house will FTP and the money will be sucked up by that, as it always the way with my life!

It's not personal.  It's just how it is.  The harder you try, the harder it fights.  A nonchalent shrug of the shoulders and you just move onto the next thing.  I'd probably have tried a "Spares or Repairs" on eBay because there are always young lads with more money than talent around but the simple, guilt free solution is the one you've gone for - which is admirable.

Let's see some more of that little Corsa of yours now.  That'll cheer us all up!

KBO man. 

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

750 for what is basically a rusty underneath but very tidy on top Clio. It's a big hit financially in one respect but in the other, it is a rusty Clio.

I had just spent ages polishing and waxing it and treating the leather on the seats together with an oil change using good Fuchs Titan 5w40. I'm pretty upset about it all to be honest but enough is enough.

Sad times Iain but I guess it's the best thing to do. If your confidence in the car is gone then you're better off without it. Been there, done that. 

What's next then ;)

12 hours ago, RobT said:

I've done a buy.

20200420_134139.thumb.jpg.76e4f97d145e6617935efb590204097f.jpg

Having been floored by the poxy virus for two weeks and finally having some energy again, I felt like treating myself.  It's the one that appeared in the tat thread, and despite being a bit ropey is perfect for bombing around in locally (seeing as that's all we can do at the moment).

20200420_132320.thumb.jpg.f67dcbb7e4435b39b862d9cd1f5847b7.jpg

I had it delivered this morning so I didn't have unnecessary contact with people, and feeling bold I took it on an essential run to Sainsbury's.  Paintwork is flat, but for an ADO16 it's mostly solid, and despite only doing 800 miles in 14 years the engine runs really well.  Makes me realise the Metro could do with a tune up.  Plus it should keep me busy for a while.

Nice ADO16. My stepdad's first car was an Austin 1300, sadly written off by a Transit van that T boned it after failing to give way at a junction sending it into a lamp post, though it was lucky the lamp post was there as if it hadn't been he would have mowed down a queue of people at a bus stop instead. 

1 hour ago, dome said:

Sad times Iain but I guess it's the best thing to do. If your confidence in the car is gone then you're better off without it. Been there, done that. 

What's next then ;)

That's the Clio gone. Pretty sad about it.

Hopefully doing a virtual Skype viewing of a 75 later in the week though.

Rob - that 1300 looks great! Really original. It’s the spitting image of one I regret not buying from Kirbys in 2006, TJN 370H. But the 1275 “big block” must make yours really nippy!

Also, really glad to hear you’re on the mend. Nothing like a bit of retail therapy to cheer yourself up!

18 hours ago, RobT said:

I've done a buy.

20200420_134139.thumb.jpg.76e4f97d145e6617935efb590204097f.jpg

Having been floored by the poxy virus for two weeks and finally having some energy again, I felt like treating myself.  It's the one that appeared in the tat thread, and despite being a bit ropey is perfect for bombing around in locally (seeing as that's all we can do at the moment).

20200420_132320.thumb.jpg.f67dcbb7e4435b39b862d9cd1f5847b7.jpg

I had it delivered this morning so I didn't have unnecessary contact with people, and feeling bold I took it on an essential run to Sainsbury's.  Paintwork is flat, but for an ADO16 it's mostly solid, and despite only doing 800 miles in 14 years the engine runs really well.  Makes me realise the Metro could do with a tune up.  Plus it should keep me busy for a while.

I really was tempted by that and you beat me to it buying it! Darn it. 

100% let me know when you've done with it and thinking of moving it on. I've not done with the ado16 yet. 

8 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

What was wrong with the Clio? Just rust?