The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

55 minutes ago, Claire84 said:

How do you find the Pela? I found it to be brilliant on one of mine, unusable on another and nearly good enough but not quite on a 3rd.

I've used it on a diesel 75, Corsa B, Mini R56, Audi 80, the 172 and all been fine. I have heard some folks have bother getting the lance to the bottom of the sump.

Finally finished the starter motor swap on the DS. Horrible job - everything in the way of everything else. Getting it back together was quicker. Found a small green puddle under the back of the car when I’d finished so I left it running for a while to see what happened. Not a drop so it must  have been due to sitting for a month with the reservoir as full as it can ever be and much higher than the rear. Sitting idling for 30 mins did cause the temp warning light to come on though.
I’d also taken the opportunity to swap both front spheres and replace the broken bonnet cable. Looking forward to a decent drive now.
So here it is back on the ground.

B7B5ED68-3766-4E9D-BD94-A58A4879E339.jpeg

1 hour ago, Three Speed said:

Finally finished the starter motor swap on the DS. Horrible job - everything in the way of everything else. Getting it back together was quicker. Found a small green puddle under the back of the car when I’d finished so I left it running for a while to see what happened. Not a drop so it must  have been due to sitting for a month with the reservoir as full as it can ever be and much higher than the rear. Sitting idling for 30 mins did cause the temp warning light to come on though.
I’d also taken the opportunity to swap both front spheres and replace the broken bonnet cable. Looking forward to a decent drive now.
So here it is back on the ground.

B7B5ED68-3766-4E9D-BD94-A58A4879E339.jpeg

Beautiful.

I would not like to have been in the back of that Beetle cabriolet. They were very lucky.

I flipped my Spitfire over a long time ago. Swing axles + testosterone make for a risky situation (apparently even on a straight dry road). Luckily I had just fitted the metal hardtop and with just me inside they was room for me to bounce around without snapping anything.

13 hours ago, Claire84 said:

How do you find the Pela? I found it to be brilliant on one of mine, unusable on another and nearly good enough but not quite on a 3rd.

I'm a huge fan of them, as was dad, in fact I'm going to borrow his one today for a somewhat non-standard use. There are some cars they don't work on, Keith and I had bother with a cheap one on a MK?? fiesta belonging to a coworker, it just wouldn't reach the sump! Invaluable for autoboxes with "lifetime" fluid too. 

1 hour ago, spike60 said:

You'll have to let us know how you get on, I have an old system that uses clamps on the wheels and a cord between them but it's a monumental faff. 

I had a look at the manual yesterday afternoon, it seems straightforward enough, very well documented!

16 minutes ago, egg said:

the eggfather has suggested putting an inline connector in the pressure washer cord. Like this. Seems legit?

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.74f3b68e0234f92825fa90c867f7b688.jpg

Also just discovered a brown patch on the ceiling (water leak) - yay! ?

I'm no expert (although the letters after my qualifications might suggest the opposite - MIET )

But when my son decided as a teenager to attack the cable on my jigsaw I got the biggest chocolate block connector, and using three of them fixed it, before covering it in (quite a lot) a few layers of consultation tape. 

My mum used to run the cable of the mower (alot) and my dad used soldering and heat shrink. Nobody died. 

I'd probably wrap that in insulation tape to make it look more like a bodge. 

22 minutes ago, egg said:

the eggfather has suggested putting an inline connector in the pressure washer cord. Like this. Seems legit?

No, just open the washer up and re connect the slightly shorter cable.

At the beginning of lock-in we discovered  a winter's worth of mouse damage in the shed. No munched wiring thankfully!

Mouse incontinence has triggered a huge re-work of the junk storage "system". Burning old furniture was the best bit. Nothing like mouse piss stains to make chucking something an easy decision

21 minutes ago, egg said:

I'd guess you'd need an IP67 rated one given you're outside with water around you. Personally I'd open the washer as suggested and shorten the cable.

22 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

(flex is the term for the floppy type cable that most plug in things have, as opposed to something like the ridgid twin and earth inside the walls of yer house)

Yes, and believe it or not, it's short for flexible. Cable is the pattern on the jumpers your granny used to knit.

It's always better to ask forgiveness than permission.  I just got this rule the wrong way around and will probably not be purchasing a rotten pre-war project.  Foolish.  FOOLISH!  I only asked permission because I'm buying it for the other half more than for me because it's a model they like more than I do, would've been an AWESOME present.  Might still buy it anyway because I mean, what're they going to do, tell me take it back?  Make me live in the car?  Stop cooking delicious food?  Actually, now I say that it's probably not worth the risk.

Where I live there’s a strip of land next door instead of another house. It’s basically the same size as our house and garden but it’s empty. There used to be a small bungalow there which an old lady lived in but when she died the house and land was left in trust to the school over the back of all the houses on our road to be cleared and left for use by the school as a nature woodland area for the kids. It was like this since the 60’s.

Its a lovely bit of open space and had loads of big mature trees on it, all British native species, which made it great for wildlife as well as meaning we had lots of privacy in our garden and house...

...you know what’s coming next!

Yes, the fucking wankers at the council have decided to make a fast buck and sold it for development! Shame on you Hampshire county council! Last week a good 100 or so big trees and many many smaller shrubs have all been cut down and the site cleared for some greedy little fuck stick developer to completely ruin, and piss off us and all our neighbours. It’s a crying shame and I hope some nasty karma comes for the cunts responsible. So much for keeping green spaces and keeping trees eh!? Fuck the climate and environment when there’s profit to be made.

So, there’s sweet FA we can do about it as it’s his land, but what I can do is be incredibly unhelpful from here on! Plus, I can do wtf ever I want in my own land. So over the last few days our household have been giving the planet a little helping hand by planting some trees in our garden along the border and back border against the school in an effort to replace some of those ones lost. We can’t equal the numbers lost but something is better than nothing, and the trees also help soaking up rainwater in an otherwise very wet bit of space (something else that doesn’t get much mention when it comes to flooding and the environment!).

So far we’ve got an apple and plum tree, two chestnut trees (grown from seeds from the trees that were just chopped down) and a Rowan. Not a bad effort, but I’m a go big or go home type arse hole...

So, I’ve just ordered 3 big ‘proper’ trees for delivery on Friday! 1x Beech, 1x Copper beech, 1x Lime. They should grow nice and big! Add to that I’ve got a Horse chestnut (Conker) tree in a pot that I grew from a conker a few years back. Well, now that’s going into the ground to join it’s two siblings at the end of the garden already! Those two I grew some years ago from conkers I found and are probably getting on for 15-20ft in height now.

Nobody can accuse me of not doing my bit for the environment now! I can’t wait to get the Beech, lovely looking trees! I suppose it offsets the carbon footprint of my car collection.

3 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Where I live there’s a strip of land next door instead of another house. It’s basically the same size as our house and garden but it’s empty. There used to be a small bungalow there which an old lady lived in but when she died the house and land was left in trust to the school over the back of all the houses on our road to be cleared and left for use by the school as a nature woodland area for the kids. It was like this since the 60’s.

Its a lovely bit of open space and had loads of big mature trees on it, all British native species, which made it great for wildlife as well as meaning we had lots of privacy in our garden and house...

...you know what’s coming next!

Yes, the fucking wankers at the council have decided to make a fast buck and sold it for development! Shame on you Hampshire county council! Last week a good 100 or so big trees and many many smaller shrubs have all been cut down and the site cleared for some greedy little fuck stick developer to completely ruin, and piss off us and all our neighbours. It’s a crying shame and I hope some nasty karma comes for the cunts responsible. So much for keeping green spaces and keeping trees eh!? Fuck the climate and environment when there’s profit to be made.

So, there’s sweet FA we can do about it as it’s his land, but what I can do is be incredibly unhelpful from here on! Plus, I can do wtf ever I want in my own land. So over the last few days our household have been giving the planet a little helping hand by planting some trees in our garden along the border and back border against the school in an effort to replace some of those ones lost. We can’t equal the numbers lost but something is better than nothing, and the trees also help soaking up rainwater in an otherwise very wet bit of space (something else that doesn’t get much mention when it comes to flooding and the environment!).

So far we’ve got an apple and plum tree, two chestnut trees (grown from seeds from the trees that were just chopped down) and a Rowan. Not a bad effort, but I’m a go big or go home type arse hole...

So, I’ve just ordered 3 big ‘proper’ trees for delivery on Friday! 1x Beech, 1x Copper beech, 1x Lime. They should grow nice and big! Add to that I’ve got a Horse chestnut (Conker) tree in a pot that I grew from a conker a few years back. Well, now that’s going into the ground to join it’s two siblings at the end of the garden already! Those two I grew some years ago from conkers I found and are probably getting on for 15-20ft in height now.

Nobody can accuse me of not doing my bit for the environment now! I can’t wait to get the Beech, lovely looking trees! I suppose it offsets the carbon footprint of my car collection.

..... so there used to be a house there, there are houses next to it and you’re getting in a strop because someone’s going to build on it?!

Okay, then.