The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

I hope you are going to get in that skip with the chainsaw! 

A lot of it has actually been cut up before going in there - except the bloody hawthorn because screw messing around with that more than I have to!  Most of what you can see is the brushy remnants from one of the piles and those sodding climbing plants which grow like wildfire.

We did look at renting a chipper, but it was going to be another £300 odd!  By that point we would be 9/10 of the way to having paid a landscaper in to do the work.

We do have a small chipper, it's as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Here's a plan view of our property...the red shows where we have overgrown conifer hedges that we are basically using this lockdown period to get on top of.  It had been let run wild by the previous owners and we've been forever playing catch up for the last five years.

Screenshot_20200410_202349.thumb.jpg.75c7c7f42740de2e4985676ecd034529.jpg

At least once we've sorted it out future maintenance will be pretty easy...just actually getting there is a challenge!

Today we dealt with about a third of the bit by the drive.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Man I hurt...have spent all day working on the garden.  Just a few cuttings to get shot of.

IMG_20200410_191612.thumb.jpg.2c7b269009efeee6012c6d4f6fc20b22.jpg

More of the same tomorrow.  Skip will be getting swapped out for a fresh one on Tuesday.  I reckon we'll be looking at four skip loads before we're done.

Don't forget we have a large burner at the FoD that needs any decent sized logs you have.

IMG_20190921_205630 broad.jpg

Depending on the nature of what you've grubbed up(not rhododendron or similar as chopping them up just creates an army of rhoddy saplings), a chipper can be a greener option; once chipped you can just spread the stuff back where it came from and let it mulch and keeps weeds down too for a while.

Having a bit of a quandary over here.  I want more cars, but to acquire them I need to part with one of my existing cars.  I do not want to part with either of my existing cars because I like them both very much.  I'd really, really like a Citroen Dyane, it's a want that's never gone away, much like the BX and the Princess, so it's probably something I'd really enjoy owning.  A 2CV is easier to acquire, but it's the Dyane I want because I love how they look.  Other half does not want to share any sort of air-cooled Citroen because they're not his bag at all so I can't blag it as a joint project.  I also really want something pre-war and British, or a BMC Farina of some shape, which at least we can agree on as a joint project and have promised to ourselves once more house things are got through this year.

What to do?

Probably nothing.  Probably just enjoy the fact I've got a really nice BX that I like a lot, and a really weird Princess that I like a lot and don't go getting a Dyane which is likely going to be a whole world of bother.

They do seem very straightforward and they sound nice.  If someone waved a reasonable Dyane at me and wanted to swap it for the Princess or the BX I think I'd be in a very difficult position.  Nobody is going to do that, so thankfully I'm safe.

46 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

They do seem very straightforward and they sound nice.  If someone waved a reasonable Dyane at me and wanted to swap it for the Princess or the BX I think I'd be in a very difficult position.  Nobody is going to do that, so thankfully I'm safe.

Look at 2cvtv and https://retrospecparts.com/114-cars-for-sale for decent cars.

7 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Having a bit of a quandary over here.  I want more cars, but to acquire them I need to part with one of my existing cars.  I do not want to part with either of my existing cars because I like them both very much.  I'd really, really like a Citroen Dyane, it's a want that's never gone away, much like the BX and the Princess, so it's probably something I'd really enjoy owning.  A 2CV is easier to acquire, but it's the Dyane I want because I love how they look.  Other half does not want to share any sort of air-cooled Citroen because they're not his bag at all so I can't blag it as a joint project.  I also really want something pre-war and British, or a BMC Farina of some shape, which at least we can agree on as a joint project and have promised to ourselves once more house things are got through this year.

What to do?

Probably nothing.  Probably just enjoy the fact I've got a really nice BX that I like a lot, and a really weird Princess that I like a lot and don't go getting a Dyane which is likely going to be a whole world of bother.

Same here, I've been in touch with the seller of a 75 I really want. However nothing will be happening any time soon.

Keep what you've got and enjoy it. 

Aside from them now being a price I couldn't justify paying,and I cant weld,I'd definitely have another 2cv,dad had an Acadians,which was even better.They are simple as anything,but to someone brought up around the Austin Morris reliant school of making things,they are complucated and confusing to start with,7mm bolts anyone?but with your extensive Citroen experience you are already there.

3 hours ago, Claire84 said:

All this talk of gardening reminds me that I have some serious Birch branches to log up.  I removed them (probably 10" girth) by saw but haven't the strength to cut them all up into logs with the same tired old tool.  Is it possible to get a decent chain saw for a sensible amount of money, or do I need to bat my eyelids (show cleavage) to someone in my area to get the job done?

What is sensible? Consumer/DIY-grade saws start from £~60 for a loose assembly of parts that looks like a chainsaw from the Happy Dragon No.7 Saw and Cuddly Toy Manufactury up to £~250 for a Stihl 181. If you've just got one lot of wood then buying something seems a waste, are you going to have an on-going need to cut firewood? There's also the considerable cost of PPE, which depending on how nervous your disposition or how accident-prone you are some of which may be seen as optional.

3 hours ago, Claire84 said:

Is it possible to get a decent chain saw for a sensible amount of money

Yep.  While it's a pretty small one ours was around £100 from Toolstation and I've absolutely no complaints about it.

IMG_20200411_115308.thumb.jpg.eaf95cb525794d9086712e39f498465b.jpg

Has been worked pretty hard so far and aside from one replacement chain (which Toolstation do stock for sensible money) it's not needed any attention so far.

Being pretty compact makes it far easier to handle than bigger saws which in turn far reduces the likelihood of chopping your own limbs off.

Doesn’t look too bad. 

FA098CF0-F4F0-49E5-AAB3-03745671435E.jpeg

Edit. Driver’s side frame now spoken for, passenger side seat frame available. I honestly have no idea if they fit dyanes.

A bit of shabby chic never did a 2cv anyharm, and several hundred £ cheaper than new ones.

https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/seat-upholstery-very-best-quality-round-corners-special-bluegrey-flecked-écossais-important-notes-p-1664.html?WSid=3f44861fa4b54ccd319403f800ab33bb

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, Claire84 said:

All this talk of gardening reminds me that I have some serious Birch branches to log up.  I removed them (probably 10" girth) by saw but haven't the strength to cut them all up into logs with the same tired old tool.  Is it possible to get a decent chain saw for a sensible amount of money, or do I need to bat my eyelids (show cleavage) to someone in my area to get the job done?

I have a lady friend who has a 'tip top' which she wears to go to the local recycling centre. The lads who work there are usually falling over themselves to give her a lift with the crap out of the car!?

7 hours ago, Claire84 said:

I’ve got a corded Bosch chainsaw for similar purposes that does the job nicely. About £100. Something like this although I’ve had mine for years so it’s slightly different:

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-green-ake-40-corded-chainsaw-1800w-240v-0600834075

I’ve gone off petrol tools for occasional use: great if you’re using them all the time but a faff if you use them one or two days a year.  Even though I love the smell of two stroke.

Washed Mrs LTs Fusion. This was rewarded by a valve stem breaking off a wheel. It must’ve been super perished as I only hit it with a sponge! As the local tyre bays were closed I had to improvise with a trolley jack to get a new valve in. 

5E3D0C76-F258-4B21-83DF-CC461B58A72B.jpeg

54555054-FFB3-4728-9DBD-9E338A8ACA12.jpeg

02726A47-25A0-4C59-9079-CE0FF115465A.jpeg

Rustproofed the insides of The Volvo's doors this afternoon, something I like to do every couple of years or so. I've never seen a 700 or 900 with rotten door bottoms, but knowing my luck the car would have them by now if I'd left the doors to their own devices since 2003...

It took me all of 30 minutes to treat all four doors, including removing and refitting the interior trim panels, and I only used three quarters of a 500ml can of rustproofing wax, so I intend to spray the remainder into the front edge section of the car's bonnet tomorrow. I used Comma Wax Seal this time round, as it was cheap and easily available from Amazon and appears to be thin enough to get into all the nooks and crannies, but not so thin that it will leak out of the drain holes on the next warm day. I hope.

Got the welder working again today, no bother. Might've been a random issue instead of the liner. Will see. 

IMG_20200411_151642.thumb.jpg.22c47d8d0b5eeab51d64050ad2cd5fe6.jpg

Wing looking better, wasn't brave enough to see if it fitted or not. TBH I need to figure out how to reattach it to the car where I've repaired it as it was rotten. 

Have not done the lips yet as expect to have to do extra fettling. 

Instead if finishing it, I did a BBQ as it was nice and am pleasantly pissed. 

IMG_20200411_165200.thumb.jpg.c4c72800779253b771161475db64008c.jpg

5 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Doesn’t look too bad. 

FA098CF0-F4F0-49E5-AAB3-03745671435E.jpeg

A bit of shabby chic never did a 2cv anyharm, and several hundred £ cheaper than new ones.

https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/seat-upholstery-very-best-quality-round-corners-special-bluegrey-flecked-écossais-important-notes-p-1664.html?WSid=3f44861fa4b54ccd319403f800ab33bb

image.jpeg

dont mercaydeez have a similar pattern?