The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

56 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

1 litre of Castrol 10w/40 lobbed into the CX. Still no reading on the dipstick. By contrast, dipping the dipstick directly into the Castrol bottle gives me nice clear indication between the markers, so I'm not going mad. The battery needs a recharge anyway, so I couldn't start the car.

Have you checked that the dipstick tube is actually in the block?

I've got my BMW running! I suffered lots of mall things coming to a head at once. Crankshaft position sensor was on its way out, the plugs and one ignition coil pack, there was a massive hole in the intake rubber hose behind the MAF and the crank case breather hose was goosed, Pink gaffer tape dealt with the latter. I ordered the intake hose which came today. The sensor was seized in place and had to be ripped out by an actual real mechanic and then presumably re-tapped. No wonder I had a few symptoms for a while!

Oh and both of my key fob batteries have died.

But we are running smooth and driving. I had a little drive as far as I dare, probably about 3 miles to test it today. I think that was a necessary journey?

Emptied the garage today and pressure washed it. Not sure what I'm going to do with the appliances when I get around to painting it. Might have to paint around it, wait for it to dry and then paint where the appliances are.

8dc0fb650f7d3a568648211ee4060c65.jpg

96aaf83310ad73995b50bc3e6c85b516.jpg

Everything that was in the garage has ended up in the shed. In clearing out the shed, I found a can of floor paint. Handy!

36 minutes ago, Pete-M said:

I thought this would have been done by now!

So did I - life just keeps getting in the way. Changing jobs and having kids slows things.

I need to find somebody to paint it - some of the quotes I have had have been somewhat unrealistic.

31 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Have you checked that the dipstick tube is actually in the block?

It's the same dipstick that the car has always had, and the tube hasn't shifted. The  dipstick is always fully inserted. Before the oil and filter change,  the oil level always registered on the dipstick marks without fail. After the change, there was still a reading. In the last few weeks there's been no reading,  i.e. virtually dry.

I r mystified 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Emptied the garage today and pressure washed it. Not sure what I'm going to do with the appliances when I get around to painting it. Might have to paint around it, wait for it to dry and then paint where the appliances are.

Everything that was in the garage has ended up in the shed. In clearing out the shed, I found a can of floor paint. Handy!

Move the appliances first, paint where they sit first ?

Move the appliances first, paint where they sit first
Problem is that the paint reportedly takes a week for it to fully set in warm weather. As it's cold out at the moment, it'll maybe even longer. So might be until after lockdown until they'll move.

Found this on Photobucket yesterday, bought it from Liverpool and met the vendor (probably from VXON or Migweb) somewhere near where Liverpool 1 is now. He was a serial Omega licker and I can't help wondering if it was you @omegod?

OmegaApril09004.jpg

Obvs. like Photobucket are still complete wankspangles, hence the enormous water mark.

54 minutes ago, SiC said:
58 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:
Move the appliances first, paint where they sit first emoji2962.png

Problem is that the paint reportedly takes a week for it to fully set in warm weather. As it's cold out at the moment, it'll maybe even longer. So might be until after lockdown until they'll move.

Some dry quicker than others, some you can walk on within hours, time is something we are all going to have, time to Google what system suit you best, ie cracked, dusty, already soiled can you heat the garage to assist with curing etc etc, leave the cars out for a week is probably a common theme for most though. 

My garage has got so much shite in it you can't even see the floor let alone walk on it ???

2 hours ago, Bren said:

So did I - life just keeps getting in the way. Changing jobs and having kids slows things.

I need to find somebody to paint it - some of the quotes I have had have been somewhat unrealistic.

I know a chap in Kirkby who restores 911s. He might be able to help, if you aren't in a mad rush. He's a brilliant painter. 

8 hours ago, SiC said:
8 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:
Move the appliances first, paint where they sit first emoji2962.png

Paint under the appliances first, then sit them back on the wet paint. They'll stick to the floor and never vibrate again... 

10 hours ago, SiC said:

Instead of painting it how about using concrete sealer? It's not as pretty as paint but should stop dust etc and I think it dries quicker.

1 hour ago, skattrd said:

Instead of painting it how about using concrete sealer? It's not as pretty as paint but should stop dust etc and I think it dries quicker.

Getting an appropriate face mask is near impossible at the moment. Also the surface could do with preparing with a concrete grinder, but won't be able to rent one of them at the moment.

Want to get my tools back soon, so don't want to hang around deciding on what to do. Just want to get it done. 

Those of us who are still driving about, are you running into the issue I did? The roads are so quiet I found myself speeding without really noticing, just because there were very few cars to keep the flow. 

Not talking boy racering but ive done a few 55 in a 40 without realising... On the M40 I was doing cough70cough in l2 wafting past all the wagons and was still being overtaken by cars going much faster

Polished and waxed 2 of the cars yesterday, Clio to do today.

Trying a new polish after using Autoglym for 25 years plus. The Meguairs polish seems slightly greasy and you have to work hard to buff it off however I'm hoping that this will give it a more durable finish. I topped it off with Meguairs wax.

Clio to do today. Corsa won't be getting done as its going nowhere for a while due to a rusty hole in the strut tower.

IMG_20200328_154819_728.jpg

IMG_20200328_154645_836.jpg

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Paint under the appliances first, then sit them back on the wet paint. They'll stick to the floor and never vibrate again... 

Sounds daft, but that's what I'd do. Doesn't matter if you damage the paint under the appliance because its still wet.

If concrete is dusty, by rights you should seal it before you paint it. 

SORNED 4 of 6 cars yesterday.  Advised MIL to sorn the 7th which is in her care atm.

I was going to take the Avensis off too but that would leave just the Fiat 500 with 4 seats on the road.  Free tax on the 500 so no point in taking it off the road.

Probably saved nearly £90 on tax alone for April which can go on something else I guess.

4 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Those of us who are still driving about, are you running into the issue I did? The roads are so quiet I found myself speeding without really noticing, just because there were very few cars to keep the flow. 

Not talking boy racering but ive done a few 55 in a 40 without realising... On the M40 I was doing cough70cough in l2 wafting past all the wagons and was still being overtaken by cars going much faster

Not so much on local roads (more than my job's worth), but deffo on motorways in the van when there's no cameras around. I've had whole stretches of motorway to myself and quite often will waft across all three or four lanes to maintain momentum/dispel boredom.

Even with fuck all on the roads, you are guaranteed to stumble across a bimbling MLM with nothing around them for miles.

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

SORNED 4 of 6 cars yesterday. 

Could do with the Govt relaxing the SORN rules to extend to cars parked up on the road at the moment - there's hardly any cars moving on our road, and I could realistically come right down to one car, one van. Or even one van.

Mind you, I suppose having six cars parked on the road is very much a minority thing.....

17 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

1 litre of Castrol 10w/40 lobbed into the CX. Still no reading on the dipstick. By contrast, dipping the dipstick directly into the Castrol bottle gives me nice clear indication between the markers, so I'm not going mad. The battery needs a recharge anyway, so I couldn't start the car.

I have always found getting a decent oil level reading on my 2400 I/E Pallas is a problem, I have done it several times and get a wildly different result each time.

17 hours ago, SiC said:

Put the ladder across that small shelf then balance the appliances each end of the ladder......