The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Bosch coils arrived this morning as the Post office said they would by text and e-mail several times yesterday! Being in some doubt about which cylinder is number 1 (who really is a 'free man!')I Googled again. The confusion arises from the fact most reference sites are bloody American and so passenger side is wrong. I am so glad I double checked as I thought it was the right hand bank by the radiator, it's the LEFT bank by the rad...

Been out and done it. I get really annoyed: I do not have the bloody strength to turn the star drives out with a screwdriver, had to come inside and find a socket set to move one 'star' as I was just hurting myself but getting nowhere. Even this which is the simplist chore becomes a nightmare when you are a cripple; can't get into the correct position to put the airbox back properly, no strength and a baaaaad attitude.

Seems to be running smoothly again, cleared the codes and all is currently fine. Watch out for the update that says I can't count and don't know cylinder one from cylinder six ( or four, two...) and it's broken down and waiting for the AA!

36 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

One week since I last went for a drive. The G fired up straight away once the fuel got through. Sadly not a very long drive, but staves off the madness for a little longer.

EUHpV3kXkAgCt4O?format=jpg&name=small

Supplies and a Post Office visit. Roads largely, but not completely deserted. 

I lived in Newquay when I was a kid and the bloke that owned the chip shop behind where you’re parked , always used to park his cars and vans on the pavement at the end of the wall , that is on the top of a small cliff that would get spray on it at the slightest swell at high tide.

So naturally he always had Fiats, a succession of 900Ts and then Fioranos, at least one of which turned itself into a pickup and a fisherman used it on the quay for moving nets and stuff around, presumably until it dissolved. He also had 131 and 132s, I doubt any ever made it to their first MOT.  All bought from the Fiat dealer on the coast road nearLlanrhysted  ( ironically pronounced Llan  rusted!)

I did my first drive in a week too, 2 miles to Sainsbury and back. Mazda didn't grumble. 10 min queue to get in, and then  the shelves were reasonably stocked enough to hopefully avoid significant exposure for another week. Certainly impossible to do the 2 metre thing through an entire shop though!

I think the balance is - it's quieter in the afternoons and evenings, but in the mornings they have most stock. 

Expensive though, you take whatever's there, there's no offers of course, and branded goods rather than own brand etc, soon stack up. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I did my first drive in a week too, 2 miles to Sainsbury and back.....

....think the balance is - it's quieter in the afternoons and evenings, but in the mornings they have most stock...

The Sainsbury's I sometimes go to is near the yard, so after doing the horse's feeds and the evening stables routine, I'd go there in the last hour before closing time because that's when they're replenishing the shelves. Unfortunately it looks like they've cottoned onto my buying tactics, as opening hours now finish at 8pm instead of 11pm.

I think they're also trying to stagger the stock during the day - they were putting things like biscuits out while I was there. 

It's an interesting thing to contemplate that apparently a large proportion of the UK's food intake is normally consumed outside the home - so in some ways this shift to 100% at home is of course leading to a large jump in demand. 

Mate has just texted me to say that the police hae now said 'no driving to anywhere to walk your dog'

This is what's known as a bugger as Phoebe can't walk and just loves laying in a hedge, destroying it.

1 hour ago, xtriple said:

Mate has just texted me to say that the police hae now said 'no driving to anywhere to walk your dog'

This is what's known as a bugger as Phoebe can't walk and just loves laying in a hedge, destroying it.

Lass at work was picked up by the police today after dropping her boyfriend at work (Asda) as he doesn't drive. She was asked to prove it, she's like, er how? They just let her go.

1 hour ago, xtriple said:

I'd say that whilst plod might stop you they should be pretty understanding when you explain the circumstances to why you need to use the car.

Hopefully.

2 hours ago, xtriple said:

It's worse in France, in the village an uncle of mine lives in someone was 'caught' without their attestation walking their dog in their own street.  Immediate fine.

Been in quarantine/isolation for last two weeks. Took first trip out today to drop some spare food at a neighbour who has a wheelchair bound  mother on the 12 weeks no going out list.

Had to push Mazda out of way first as following on from wifeys breakdown a few weeks back, there’s clearly a phantom drain.

Laguna woke up after two weeks of idle so I took that.

Saving a few quid by not renewing the insurance and sorning the white Mazda as I don’t think I’ll be needing three road legal cars any time soon.

Did a good weekly shop at our local Morrison's this evening, at 6.30pm.

Hardly anyone in the shop, and loads of stock of pretty much everything (eggs and bog rolls aside). I didn't do any panic buying in the last couple of weeks, so never experienced the queues to get in anywhere - it was all very calm. 

Thought about giving the 420 a good blast but thought better of it and drove straight home.

Update on my fleet. Missus' golf needed a new clutch in the end. I thought just slave cylinder but mechanic didnt agree. Who am i to argue. Shes back on the road anyway.

My v50 failed test on rear suspension imbalance and headlight alignment. I got shocks for the rear delivered today. One side really sits down over bumps. Headlights i have not gone at yet but one seems very low so i am hoping the bulb is not fitted properly. I have aligned headlights before so i think i will be ok. Will fit the shocks tomoro. It will keep me out of the pub! Oh. Right.....

12 minutes ago, GBJ said:

Why aren't you allowed to jet wash it?

i didn't think that was 'essential'? Plus  my local petrol station is twice as busy as usual and people seem to think the two metre rule also applies to cars in the que to get in there

8 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

One week since I last went for a drive. The G fired up straight away once the fuel got through. Sadly not a very long drive, but staves off the madness for a little longer.

Holidayed up there many a time, great scenic drives out through the reservoirs area, should of got a 10 foot whip aerial and flag for the Mx5, had many a close call because we were lower than the walls, grasses and undulations and couldn't be seen. Also in my old Rover 420 we were sat at the side of the road watching this crusty old Landrover bouncing through the landscape then a load of sheepdogs come steaming out of the back bombing off up into the hillside until they were near on out of site, a minute later shitloads of sheep come flying down the hill closely followed by those sheepdogs, the bloke didn't even get out of his Landrover. We were so struck by this amazing sight I didn't notice a horse had come up on my blindside, head and neck up to the shoulders straight into the car pinning me to my seat straight across to the Mrs who had the snacks on her lap, he got what he wanted until I told the Mrs to get the fk out with the food, eventually he got out leaving the Rover and me covered in horsehair and dribble!!! An interesting drive, made the 420 seem quite small 

I was made redundant today, considering I work(ed) in a now 'essential' industry and was only told last Wednesday that redundancy were taking place...

7 and a half years working there and I never even got a "so long", let alone a good luck.

And right in the middle of a national lock down, global pandemic and start of rescission in the oil industry(and all that befitted from it) in Aberdeen, and no doubt global recession in general.  

Fucking yay. 

Have you considered calling the police or the fire brigade?

Not to be like those wankers who call 999 when KFC run out of chicken, but to ask if they have any jobs for mechanics. I reckon they’ll both be running vehicles for a good while yet.

11 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

That looks very like New Quay. Just along the way from my friends in Rhydowen.....

On 3/24/2020 at 3:28 PM, xtriple said:

I have been asked on three separate occassions today if I need any help with food shopping. Once by a woman I have never spoken to before. Is this because I am an obvious cripple (in which case, thank you all very much) or because I look like an old bastard (in which case you can all fuck off!  :)   ).

probably the latter 1011780074_illgetmecoat.gif.d7642b6f16e25f99e85ad141275b7c6e.gif