The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

49 minutes ago, spike60 said:

I thought you had sold this, obviously not. I sold my black 1989 944 about 9 months ago to a hardcore masochist, -he;d just sold a 928!

No, I had a buyer but then he started sending me messages asking if it had a jack (it did) which set off alarm bells so I said no to see what he did and he tried knocking an extra £100 off, so I told him to bugger off. What was going to happen on the day, he'd probably turn up with £200 less than the asking price as 'he couldn't get all the money from the cashpoint' that day or offer me a broken XBox or something.

37 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Today i tackled the broken winder wire on the Focus leccy window mech . 

It can be done but .... 

Not a job for the faint hearted .

Must post a report .

IMG_20200320_120516_276.thumb.jpg.972b24d1908544c253876d366c44616d.jpg

I had a Mk3 Mondeo and just replaced the whole regulator, as it was only a few quid more than getting the wire on its own. All I had to swap over was the motor.

I remember playing around doing a lot of that back on the farm.  Main thing I remember was that they make J turns look *way* easier in the movies!  Pulling that off and making it look smooth is bloody hard.

...Even more so when the car you're using decided after the third or fourth attempt to try to engage first gear and reverse at the same time.

Many years ago I was parked outside a friend's garage when some local scrotes started throwing bits of wood, rocks and stuff at my Range Rover. I jumped in the Rangie in order to grab the little bastards and the quickest way to turn the Rangie around was to do a J-turn, so that's what I did. Chased the little shits off the estate and then returned to the unit to look at the damage to my car.  

When I returned one of the lads comes out of the garage and says "How the fook did you do that? It's meant to be pretty much impossible to J-turn a Rangie!" 

Finished work on this today 20200320_124536.thumb.jpg.2d3d84c6ee7ded68f28af2d183e1a0bb.jpg20200320_124554.thumb.jpg.04d1c43b20de38ff6788f9b50d3de71a.jpg20200320_124627.thumb.jpg.2a3a56fe97d19d5c3bd678eaba872b72.jpg

It was a nice car to work on, on the way home I popped in to the local open all hours convenience store, Boss man (Sunni) had got us some cooking oil and pasta that we can not get in our nearest supermarket,  I walked around his well stocked shop collecting my favourite tipple. I saw toilet roll and truly the best I have ever seen,  20200320_190934.thumb.jpg.a1556385ba86f6a5c6af270b7df7c515.jpg

I'm not his biggest fan 

my appropriately coloured, brown or soon to be brown week.

13 minutes ago, Dannyk said:

Think the poolo is out of warranty now, its it 23rd birthday next Friday so I may treat it to its first wash since november

IMG_20200320_203428.jpg

You can tell it's old, it's not blue and red like mine! I don't even remember the night dash colour of my old '88 polo.

17 minutes ago, rusty998 said:

Finished work on this today 20200320_124536.thumb.jpg.2d3d84c6ee7ded68f28af2d183e1a0bb.jpg20200320_124554.thumb.jpg.04d1c43b20de38ff6788f9b50d3de71a.jpg

That is lovely! Would the owner notice if the seats were swapped for polo cl ones? ?

And yes I like it lighting up green, my dad had a kuga from work and I found all the blinding bright lights horrible at night, think all 80/90s vw light up green

On 3/19/2020 at 8:49 PM, PhilA said:

20200319_134127.thumb.jpg.15d02c80c0ca6beb8a3d6b7014783738.jpg

Bought this little contraption for my birthday, to clean small car parts (carburetors etc) 

So far been cleaning all the wife's jewellery. Recommended for everything. Water and a splash of non-foaming cleaner (simple green) and it's all coming out sparkly.

It's gotta be seen to have a use...

Phil

I've been thinking of getting one of these after seeing a couple of YouTubers using them. What is the magic search term for eBay/Amazon/AliExpress to get the decent ones? Also what size is going to be likely the most useful vs taking up bench space. 

I've got the ride-on mower carb to clean up and rebuild as it's first job, then the Dolomites carbs once I pull that back out. 

Today made some time to go and see the garage who are fixing the Lambretta.

Another discussion had, this time it looks like the (knackered) crank is going to be replaced with a GP one and fly wheel to match. He says they're stronger/better made and can take more power, even though I'm not at the moment after making it much quicker. The cost of a Casa kit, then new carb etc is going to be too expensive. Re-bore and new piston on the cards, cheaper than buying another 185 kit.

IMG_20200321_113221.thumb.jpg.f6eb8d1199af57c8207d7d86d1006899.jpg

6 hours ago, brownnova said:

This week truly has seen some unprecedented scenes.... 

The full beam on my 9000 which has only operated on one light and with no dash indicator for the last few months randomly started fully working again this week... 

You might have gone over a bump, therefore restoring a connection.

In other news:

Replaced the seal with a new one on the cap of the CX's expansion tank. Gearbox fluid level holding steady. Engine oil level still mystifying, and having dipped the dipstick into a part-used bottle of Castrol 10w-40 to determine the colour of what should appear between the marks, and then comparing that to the reading I get from the engine, there's definitely a leak somewhere, but surely a possible HGF wouldn't lead to the oil level dropping that much?

*scratches head, puzzled*

...and the horn works again.

46 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

You might have gone over a bump, therefore restoring a connection.

In other news:

Replaced the seal with a new one on the cap of the CX's expansion tank. Gearbox fluid level holding steady. Engine oil level still mystifying, and having dipped the dipstick into a part-used bottle of Castrol 10w-40 to determine the colour of what should appear between the marks, and then comparing that to the reading I get from the engine, there's definitely a leak somewhere, but surely a possible HGF wouldn't lead to the oil level dropping that much?

*scratches head, puzzled*

...and the horn works again.

You’re sure it’s not leaking or burning oil? It has to be going somewhere, scotty is not beaming it out.

8 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

You’re sure it’s not leaking or burning oil? It has to be going somewhere, scotty is not beaming it out.

If it was burning oil, there'd be blue smoke from the exhaust. There isn't any of that.

What I am getting is an absence of a reading on the dipstick. That's why I dipped it in unused Castrol to make sure I wasn't imagining things. Sure enough,  the Castrol shows up between the marks. Wiping it off and dipping it back in the engine gave a reading of...nothing visible. 

If there is an oil leak, it has only happened since the oil and oil filter were changed. 

46 minutes ago, spike60 said:

If there is no oil showing on the dipstick surely the level is low?  You can highlight dipstick oil by pressing the stick onto clean flat kitchen roll. 

Yes, this is exactly the point. It wasn't low when the oil was changed. If it is low, then it must be going somewhere. The question is.....where!?

As far as I'm aware onto the floor, into the coolant or out the exhaust are the only options.  There's usually about 1L between min and max marks plus whatever below the min mark. If was leaking this amount I would expect you to see it where you park or smell it when it got onto the exhaust. A litre or more going into the coolant would float on top and be coming out past the cap messily.

54 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I wonder if BAP245B is still on the road ?

DVLA says 1964 red Austin 848cc. Last changed owners 2015. No MOT results.  Awwwww.

But, . . . it's currently road taxed :-)  yaaaaayyy.  Tax due in August 2020.

Result.

Oh, just Googled it, it's the one from the 60s Randall And Hopkirk tv series.  Didn't know that. Have never watched any of these but look forward to seeing them one day, maybe on Netflix?   Fabtastic.  I think there may be some FD Ventora 3.3 rubbing-thigh moments there.