The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just now, sickboy said:

They’re great. We had one of those at work. Ultrasonic cleaner? Highly effective for cleaning carburettors and aluminium parts.

Up until it shat itself, anyway

We have one that size at work- used it daily for about 18 years. It was about £800.

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I think @cavcraft did this. From memory more than one strike and you’re banned from paying by DD, meaning you have to stump the whole lot up. 

I did it loads. Loads and loads and loads. In the end the DiVLAds got a bit upset by it and I can't tax by DD any more. A mate of mine told me (at the time) they were limiting people to something like 5 (different) cancelled DDs, then they'd stop you using that method. Shouldn't complain, had an absolutely brilliant run for my money and compensated for the times the hopeless wankers reimbursed the wrong person instead of me.

They also seem to take 2 months for the first payment now, not looked too hard but I bet you can still tax something to get it back then cancel the payment.

5 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

I did it loads. Loads and loads and loads. In the end the DiVLAds got a bit upset by it and I can't tax by DD any more. A mate of mine told me (at the time) they were limiting people to something like 5 (different) cancelled DDs, then they'd stop you using that method. Shouldn't complain, had an absolutely brilliant run for my money and compensated for the times the hopeless wankers reimbursed the wrong person instead of me.

They also seem to take 2 months for the first payment now, not looked too hard but I bet you can still tax something to get it back then cancel the payment.

Speaking purely from my personal observation, I think* that the first DD payment of 2 months only applies if you tax within the last week or ten days of the month. Any earlier and it’s just 1 months worth.

1 hour ago, PhilA said:

Bought this little contraption for my birthday, to clean small car parts (carburetors etc) 

So far been cleaning all the wife's jewellery. Recommended for everything. Water and a splash of non-foaming cleaner (simple green) and it's all coming out sparkly.

It's gotta be seen to have a use...

Looks like the 6L one?  Identical to mine just twice the depth I think.

Exceedingly useful thing!

Apparently my BMW is running again! Woop. It needs some new intake hosing as I found a big hole in it and apparently it's running rich, possibly related?

Anyway I have really got to love my new Volvo 440, I'm definitely going to have to keep it for a while longer. But also (assuming we avoid total apocalypse) I have my first ever roffle here to look forwards to in the coming months as I doubt I can justify keeping four cars, much as I'd love to (secretly I would love to expand the fleet, but that's really not realistic right now).

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Because of my dismal failure to identify my friends car I have been sent an extra picture, help me guys!

TR 03 crop.jpg

It has the air of a John Tojero design, but I can’t find anything it might be. Is this friend likely to have bought a car costing millions , hundreds of thousands or tens of thousands? It might narrow it down, a bit.

20200319_175639.thumb.jpg.f1f32545252a1b9c7824bbc7090a2c9d.jpg

Just cleaned the carburetor for my smallest mower, which was getting hard to start and was hunting a lot, especially when hot.

All clean and reassembled. I have to say, it's never ever run this well in all the time I've had it (second hand, got given it because it didn't run in the first place).

Bigger mower carburetor next up.

Phil

18 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Same carb as our mower.  Freebie roadside find.

Perished priming bulb was the only thing wrong with it - thatand that they'd stored it on end so the entire contents of the sump had ended up in the cylinder.  Really do need to pick up the grass collection box for it though!

Yup, this was a freebie because it didn't run. They're really bad at clogging up with dirt.

Phil

3 hours ago, sickboy said:

Speaking purely from my personal observation, I think* that the first DD payment of 2 months only applies if you tax within the last week or ten days of the month. Any earlier and it’s just 1 months worth.

Nice one, will remember that. Thank you.

Not used the 944 for a bit so decided to take it for a spin. 

IMG_20200320_135741.thumb.jpg.7aca3bb858a952f69348c451c2aaeb68.jpg

Bugger. Must've been a bit longer than I thought. 

Wouldn't jump from the charger boost start either. Think the chargers a bit bolloxsed, so I'm going to have to charge the battery instead as I can't find my jump leads either, I've probably put them somewhere sensible when I tidied the garage the other week. 

I got the old Merc out of hibernation today and and gave it a steady local run round.  In a week or two I'm going to bring it to the house and do some much needed work on it, a timing chain, sump clean out, gearbox oil, filter and see where the gearbox leak it has developed is from.  I'm also going to have a looky see at the  brakes and get rid of the horrible 1999 Nankank M+S's it's wearing. It's always had a slight tick on one cylinder head, during it's lay off it developed one one the other side too, I'm hoping it settles down with fresh oil and use, I may try slightly thinner oil for a short while as a flush. Hers's a slightly grubby old Merc squinting at the spring sunshine today. 

2079634462_IMG_20200320_1550181.thumb.jpg.98fdab5e9eda1e3268e687d840810053.jpg

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Not used the 944 for a bit so decided to take it for a spin. 

IMG_20200320_135741.thumb.jpg.7aca3bb858a952f69348c451c2aaeb68.jpg

Bugger. Must've been a bit longer than I thought. 

Wouldn't jump from the charger boost start either. Think the chargers a bit bolloxsed, so I'm going to have to charge the battery instead as I can't find my jump leads either, I've probably put them somewhere sensible when I tidied the garage the other week. 

I thought you had sold this, obviously not. I sold my black 1989 944 about 9 months ago to a hardcore masochist, -he;d just sold a 928!

Continued giving the Golf a coat of looking at this afternoon. Drove it out of the garage, left it idling for 10 min and listened in horror as it dropped from running on six to five pots. 

No fault codes, so as I'd bought plugs recently for it decided to chuck 'em in. First five plugs were fine, sixth was wet. Changed the plugs, fired it up, still on five. 

Luckily E.C.P. have a sale on (as always) so nipped down there, picked up a coil pack and it's back to running sweetly again. 

Somewhat irritating when a car manages to get through £87 without actually leaving the driveway..