The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

15 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

A friend has got a new car and is teasing me asking what it is from these photos.

Can you help be look super brainy and tell me what it is?

The wheels makes me think it is a kit car???

tl 01 crop.jpg

tl 02 crop.jpg

clearly a racer with the white roundel on the bonnet and that front end. Possibly an Elva or maybe a lotus 11? Or an Elite type 14 mk2 with faired in headlights?

Drove the Lada yesterday, today went on the DT. Honestly can't remember how long it's been that a short, simple journey was so much fun. Broke free of the traffic coming home and gave it a little pasting between the gears. Absolutely magic, proper reminder of the good old days so added a couple of miles to the journey. 

IMG_20200319_071252.thumb.jpg.6ad8252df74821705a04f2f6238f4fa7.jpg

Obvs noticeably quicker than the SS50, but also a lot easier and more enjoyable, if truth be told. It would appear another gear would be good, 40mph even seems to be quite noisy, but expect it'll be easy to get used to. The smoke trail in the mirror was a sight to behold.

Don't be like me.  I mean, that's good advice any day of the week, however I'm talking about ordering hoses and clamps.  Make sure you pay attention to ID and OD measurements and don't just go and buy clamps and hose with the 'same size'.  Ah well, got correct size clamps ordered and a whole bunch of spare smaller diameter clamps that I'm sure will come in handy for something some day.

13 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

What happens if you tax a car by Direct Debit then cancel the DD and put it on SORN again before the first payment is taken? 

I think @cavcraft did this. From memory more than one strike and you’re banned from paying by DD, meaning you have to stump the whole lot up. 

Oh, sod that then, I need to have DD payments available to me as I have fuck all income. I'm flat broke and need to get to work, and I can only drive there, it's too far to cycle, the bus would take 2 hours, and there's no train.

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Drove the Lada yesterday, today went on the DT. Honestly can't remember how long it's been that a short, simple journey was so much fun. Broke free of the traffic coming home and gave it a little pasting between the gears. Absolutely magic, proper reminder of the good old days so added a couple of miles to the journey. 

IMG_20200319_071252.thumb.jpg.6ad8252df74821705a04f2f6238f4fa7.jpg

Obvs noticeably quicker than the SS50, but also a lot easier and more enjoyable, if truth be told. It would appear another gear would be good, 40mph even seems to be quite noisy, but expect it'll be easy to get used to. The smoke trail in the mirror was a sight to behold.

Awesome... bought this old Deet a couple of years ago for my eldest (honest!)… shown here prior to stripdown and a bit of a clean up.  Runs well, and is just about the perfect learner bike I think.

WP_20170328_14_17_56_Pro.thumb.jpg.4bc3e9f7a35ed6df92230aab0888e0b7.jpg

19 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

A friend has got a new car and is teasing me asking what it is from these photos.

Can you help be look super brainy and tell me what it is?

The wheels makes me think it is a kit car???

Because of my dismal failure to identify my friends car I have been sent an extra picture, help me guys!

TR 03 crop.jpg

20200319_134127.thumb.jpg.15d02c80c0ca6beb8a3d6b7014783738.jpg

Bought this little contraption for my birthday, to clean small car parts (carburetors etc) 

So far been cleaning all the wife's jewellery. Recommended for everything. Water and a splash of non-foaming cleaner (simple green) and it's all coming out sparkly.

It's gotta be seen to have a use...

Phil

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

I wasn’t sure at first, but mot history check calls it a 1962 ac aceca. Many works bentleys seem to have TU numberplates but I don’t know if there’s a connection. 

It didn't come up with a make and model on TotalCarCheck so I googled the plate and it came up that its Ian Flemings old car. 

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18216/lot/364/

IMG_20200319_210450.thumb.jpg.4bda3a5511e2d84160dec0f053443bbd.jpg

59 minutes ago, PhilA said:

20200319_134127.thumb.jpg.15d02c80c0ca6beb8a3d6b7014783738.jpg

Bought this little contraption for my birthday, to clean small car parts (carburetors etc) 

So far been cleaning all the wife's jewellery. Recommended for everything. Water and a splash of non-foaming cleaner (simple green) and it's all coming out sparkly.

It's gotta be seen to have a use...

Phil

They’re great. We had one of those at work. Ultrasonic cleaner? Highly effective for cleaning carburettors and aluminium parts.

Up until it shat itself, anyway