The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 3/13/2020 at 1:44 PM, SRi05 said:

Had a voucher for Black Circles so treated the Saab to a set of Bridgestones today. Had a slow puncture on one of the front tyres, and the other front was a landsail so bit the bullet. Only paid for 3 of them with the voucher applied so a decent deal. Fuck me what a difference, genuinely changes the car. Dropped it off after that to an upholstery place that was recommended to me, they're going to tackle this seat over the weekend. Will also get it serviced once I have it back. It's going to be a pretty well sorted car when I'm done with it, then I'll no doubt end up selling it ? 20200313_103233.thumb.jpg.21bd990c0f81a3c72f12d260e5b9ed48.jpg

20200313_103227.jpg

So picks the car up tonight, and the seat looks great. Yay! The joy was short lived as the fucking airbag light came on 2 minutes into the journey ? FML 20200317_203708.thumb.jpg.8dcd1471f29369513308ee532b66ebd4.jpg

The people next door are having a new garage roof put on, God knows why because the sides are precast concrete slabs and are wonky as fuck. 

But The old roof looks like that asbestos sheeting and they are disposing of it themselves in their own car. 

But it's alright because they've wrapped every one in clingfilm! 

IMG_20200318_150730.thumb.jpg.d317bd6d44f4e060c7732bc1ee3c0f36.jpg

God only knows where they're taking it. 

29 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

They wouldn't get past the gestapo gate man at our tip, probably end up flytipped. 

25 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Our tip will let you take small amounts of asbestos, so long as it is contained and well sealed, not cling filmed up!

That little lot will probably be coming to a beauty spot near you shortly

Unfortunately my thoughts exactly. Our tip now charge for building materials. That lot would cost a fortune if they even accepted it. 

Bloke at work who paid 500 shackles for corsa cdti 1.3, then spent 900 more after clutch went.. said today eml light is on..I kindly read the code  and cleared it, told him to clean the egr valve and also may rag it on way home on the motorway... the car is a pile of poop..lol

20200318_182038.jpg

Did my garage roof last summer, a new building at work was getting clad (at great expense!) in insulating foam filled, stainless-steel backed 140mm-thick corrugated sheeting.  One of the lads at work drove the telehandler over the end of a pile of this stuff, conveniently leaving the majority of their length unscathed (enough for the width of my garage anyway!).  Anyway, took it home, and the farmer next door said he'd get rid of the old asbestos roof sheets for me.  I said thanks but I'll sort it, not wanting him to go out of his way sort of thing... came home from work one day and he'd hoiked them over the fence and away!  God knows where he put them, I went up and fixed/serviced his old jeep as a thank you and never asked any questions!

The SD1's o/s rear arch is clamped in place ready for welding.

Not sure why I bothered - will die of some horrible disease before it's painted. At least the mutants that survive will enjoy it's unfinished look as they roam the wasteland in it20200318_204306.thumb.jpg.fb04b440b63dce6232222094f712a375.jpg looking for fucking toilet rolls.

I work  as a vehicle fitter on a dock in the NE of England and when I was out and about yesterday I found this laid in the road near our workshop.

IMG_20200317_135927.thumb.jpg.55468d4a33759d3a66b8a9a288c979f2.jpg

As it's  nothing to do with the dock vehicles I can only assume this brake pad came from one of the many road  legal HGV's that are in and out of our site every day,?  I wonder what  VOSA would have made of it they'd pulled it in for a roadside examination?

7 hours ago, Yoss said:

Unfortunately my thoughts exactly. Our tip now charge for building materials. That lot would cost a fortune if they even accepted it. 

Over in West Sussex, your own building materials are free to tip, but you need a free permit and also have to show a local I. D. The only thing chargeable are old tyres.... Guess what gets flytipped the most.... £4 a tyre 

21 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

A friend has got a new car and is teasing me asking what it is from these photos.

Can you help be look super brainy and tell me what it is?

@barrett to the beige telex machine please!

(i initially thought berkeley or heron? but its the wrong shape for those I think, same general early 1960s streamlined Jag E type style styling tho so I suspect its something from then!)

Found a circular tuit this afternoon and got my Golf out of the garage to give it a good coat of looking at. It's been in there for a couple of years, on and off, so it's due a service and needs the rear calipers replacing. 

I've had this thing for about 3.5 years now I think. V6 4 motion job. I suppose it's time to service it and enjoy it for a while. 

Anyone changed the tailgate on one of these? This one is a bit crusty, which is annoying as it's the only crusty bit on it. Need to find a hatch the same colour, will be able to remove the tints at the same time. 

20200318_164139.jpg

20200318_164148.jpg

20200318_164155.jpg

20200318_184047.jpg

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

Bloke at work who paid 500 shackles for corsa cdti 1.3, then spent 900 more after clutch went.. said today eml light is on..I kindly read the code  and cleared it, told him to clean the egr valve and also may rag it on way home on the motorway... the car is a pile of poop..lol

20200318_182038.jpg

It will be stuck, you can remove the electronic part, then you can see the valve and spring, just free it off then put back together

9 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

A friend has got a new car and is teasing me asking what it is from these photos.

The wheels makes me think it is a kit car???

Mx5 with a body kit? 

8 hours ago, Pete-M said:

Anyone changed the tailgate on one of these? This one is a bit crusty, which is annoying as it's the only crusty bit on it. Need to find a hatch the same colour, will be able to remove the tints at the same time. 

20200318_164139.jpg

That's nice, tailgate is easy, pop the gas struts off, remove wiring harness and bolt new one on, depending on what you buy tailgate wise you may have to swap the lock/wiper motor etc but its simple and just nut and bolts

10 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

The wheels makes me think it is a kit car???

Some aspects similar to an Elva, but not others...

1024px-1957_Elva_MkII_sn_100-49_Bahamas.