The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 3/6/2020 at 3:41 PM, N19 said:

Wire brushing the old waxoyl and flakes off the rear spring mounts on the Capri. Going to see the man with the magic sparkly stick tomorrow to get his assessment of it. Best take my cheque book... 

IMG_20200306_153757.jpg

In with the welder today. He reckons part of the rear sill needs done too, getting it sorted at the same time as it'll only be more grief another time if I leave it. He's also noticed that the handbrake cable is frayed, ordered up a new one from the factors to fit at the weekend. My chequebook will be feeling depleted by the end of the day.

10 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I'll currently at the stage of do I keep spending money on this car as I still like it/sell it very cheap as is because I keep having to spend a fortune on it.

As you probably remember me saying before, I've been after a 172/182 for ages. Now my house buying situation has calmed down a bit, let me know if/when you think about coming to sell as I'm back in the market for something else. 

Iirc it's a 172 non-cup and pretty much stock? (I can't be doing with cup spec seat base grimness, despite the so called purity of the cup cars)

Don't suppose anyone has a Vauxhall rim like this they want rid of?

20200311_163029.thumb.jpg.7f24a51f0148de95e9fe69a67e214dba.jpg

This is the shitty spare I had to put on, as the one on there has developed a leaky rim again.  The tyre place I use always do their best to grind them down, but three years on from the new tyres it's off again.  Pretty sure it's not a slow puncture either, as it's been losing for a while.  But has now reached 'should really fix' status.

After the Fiesta clocked up 76K yesterday this happened today.

49648985103_11f2c1d1ae_z.jpg

DSCF1243 by timothy jones, on Flickr

While it might not look important it means that I've clocked up 1000 miles in the 205. ? Admittedly it's taken eight and a half months to get there and nearly a quarter of them were clocked up bringing it home but it's still a milestone, if only a minor one. 

18 hours ago, brownnova said:

In time when things are the shittiest you need something you really enjoy to carry you through. If there’s any way you can afford to keep the jag an enjoy it I’d absolutely say keep it, enjoy it, it’s a lovely car and it sparks a passion. There’s a lot to be said for something that provides a spark through the dark times. 

Very wise words, but unless I pull a job out of my arse, and the mental stability to keep it, that isn't happening. I haven't taken the Jag out since before Christmas I don't think, I can't afford to fuel it or maintain it at the moment, and leaving it sitting is just no good.
I will bounce back and buy another classic when my situation permits, but for now it just isn't possible I don't think. In any case, I've a desire to replace it with something a little more me this year, I have something of a long term dream, but in the short term I have a hankering for a Volvo 240. 

4 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Bonus misery points for high revs at 70mph.

I can't find a mph/1000rpm for the Auto, but Autocar tested the GTi 2.4i manual and quote 21.1 mph/1000. A test of the 2.4i Auto by Drive say " the overall gearing in top is not much lower than the GTi in fifth." 

Sticking to UK motorway speeds I have always found the cruising is ok, only when in Germany with the car does the short gearing really show up.

Most of my miles have been in my 2.4i Auto and then I bought a 2.5i manual Familiale and found it much quicker, smoother and free revving and attributed this to the manual gearbox. Turns out when I got a 2.5i Auto that was a much nicer engine than the 2.4i as well.

I tried a DTR Turbo2 for a while but that was a disappointing old engine.

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

Very wise words, but unless I pull a job out of my arse, and the mental stability to keep it, that isn't happening. I haven't taken the Jag out since before Christmas I don't think, I can't afford to fuel it or maintain it at the moment, and leaving it sitting is just no good.
I will bounce back and buy another classic when my situation permits, but for now it just isn't possible I don't think. In any case, I've a desire to replace it with something a little more me this year, I have something of a long term dream, but in the short term I have a hankering for a Volvo 240. 

I was always impressed you choose the XJ6 S3 as your special car and it is a shame it has not worked out for you.

7 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I can't find a mph/1000rpm for the Auto, but Autocar tested the GTi 2.4i manual and quote 21.1 mph/1000. A test of the 2.4i Auto by Drive say " the overall gearing in top is not much lower than the GTi in fifth." 

Sticking to UK motorway speeds I have always found the cruising is ok, only when in Germany with the car does the short gearing really show up.....

Given that I had 18 years of a 4-speed auto, which in overdrive top would produce 70mph with the engine barely turning over at 2050rpm, I think that just emphasises just how badly a 4th ratio was needed in a CX automatic. It might have contributed to better fuel economy. 

On 3/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Some Googling suggests CAMC is the Caravan and Motorhome Club. It looks like being a member of CAMC is a must before you can sign up for Fuelpecker.

Ah'm oot.

On the Fuelpecker front, I just got an invite through our work scheme 'Perkbox' which is quite widely used by unimaginitive companies to reward* their employees with tat. I signed up. Seems like a worthwhile think to do since not only is the Esso already the cheapest in the area at 116.9p a litre, this car knocks another 3p/litre of unleaded. I fill up there anyway.

3 hours ago, stuboy said:

wheres all the mask wearing idiots

I went up to that there London yesterday morning, then took the tube and went to a meeting. Tube back to Victorious late afternoon then home. Counted only 1 MWI on the streets, and 9 or 10 on the tube. One had a thing the size of a WW2 gas mask strapped to his face.

3 hours ago, Andyrew said:

It's been many a year sat gathering dust. But today I've finally started working on the dyane again.  It's a start, Credit cards taking a mega hit tomorow tho for more new panels. Eeekkk.

20200312_172032.thumb.jpg.393da89cf15219f272e9dfa0df02d125.jpg

20200312_171843.thumb.jpg.90f854428c6aafa71d40397bb98b3260.jpg

That looks amazing!! 

Had to put my classic van in to get a few things done. Handbrake cables, exhaust, reversing light switch

and the speedo cable back into the gearbox, which I gave up on coz.....

All underneath stuff that, at just on the right side of 70, is not the time of life to be underneath anything,

apart from an obliging female and I don't know any. Fairly recently found these guys, father and son, 

trading as DFTR Automotive, after my last mechanic, old school, got pancreatic cancer unfortunately.

Anyhoo, would like to recommend these guys if you are in the Dudley, Stourbridge area.

They do love a Mazda but are willing to lower the tone for a 305 van. Luckily. Very reasonably priced, enough

that I bunged them a tenner for a beer. At the moment they have a Staaag, a CF1 camper, a T3 and  three 

or four Mazdas in, two of which I got a rainy pic of.

DSC00808.JPG

7 hours ago, anonymous user said:

Whilst out for work today saw a recovery wagon loaded with a sandglow Allegro Estate. Not sure where it was off to as it had no wheels or front doors, but can't think of any scrap yards in the direction it was heading, so hopefully being saved rather than scrapped.

Probably this one that just went to auction.

1A92288C-6A61-4C21-8895-475A0C35A403.thumb.png.b0aeaa699a2024a5d48bf4c2d6e4d41c.png