The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

It exhorts people to sign up, but then insists on you entering your CAMC Membership number as part of the registration process. 

What is CAMC?

Good question! I followed a link with a referral code I got in an email and didn't have to enter a code.

2 minutes ago, N19 said:

Good question! I followed a link with a referral code I got in an email and didn't have to enter a code.

Some Googling suggests CAMC is the Caravan and Motorhome Club. It looks like being a member of CAMC is a must before you can sign up for Fuelpecker.

Ah'm oot.

Mini threw a Vanos-related code today, it last did it in July. Hopefully clearing it will keep it away. 

Internet wisdom* suggests the timing chain should be changed at about 75k making mine 20k overdue. But it runs quietly and without issue so I'm choosing to go with my wisdom**

23 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

If we’re getting our autism on, it’s MINI. But let’s not eh?! ? 

I prefer to use the words Cowley built mini 

And

Longbridge built mini 

F**k me some days you should just stay in bed. If you're tired or just CBA then stay away from the tools as complacency will bite you in the ass!

Went to put track rod ends on the Astra, should only have taken 20 mins a side as quite a lot of the front of the car has been in bits recently. So the story goes like this.......

Forget that the first side hasn't had the threads cleaned up on the TRE and apply windy gun. Nut comes half way off and then jams and breaks the taper so the shaft is just merrily spinning away, won't wind back on either. 

Bollocks, CBA with sparks and noise of grinding off so I'll burn the nylon out of the nyloc with a blowtorch. Plan works nut winds back up, thread cleaned with wire brush then nut comes fully off with the gun. Yea, go me.......

Bollox as I notice that outer CV boot now has a hole big enough to drive through as I had my head up arse and was just going through the motions when heating up the nut on the TRE and the blowtorch was pointing at more than just the nut. 

Despair as I realise that the saab is already in bits for work happening tomorrow and that all bikes are on SORN so I'm faced with driving the astra to the factor as it slings CV grease absolutely everywhere.  This is shortly followed by the elation of remembering I have a universal stretchy boot on the shelf in the garage. Yea, go me (again!)....

Start stripping down with head full of annoyance, tiredness and CBA'ness. Drive shaft needs a tap to get it out of the hub so run on nut a couple of turns  to protect the threads and thwack it with a hammer. Bollocks again  as I see I should have wound it on further as it's now sitting at a jaunty angle. Unwind to view the now rather funky threads on the end of the shaft. All this because I couldn't be bothered to walk the 20ft back to the garage to get the deadblow hammer or a block of wood.

STOP, HAVE COFFEE AND FOOD...................................

30 minutes with (new found) patience and a junior hacksaw blade see the driveshaft threads all sorted out. I had a new nut left over from a wheel bearing kit and it now winds on easily by hand. The slightly damaged area is proud of the nut when installed so no worries.

CV cleaned up, old boot removed and new stretchy boot installed. A wry smile is raised as I notice the big plastic cone used for fitting the new boot resembles the dunces hat that I should be wearing!

Everything goes back together without any further drama and I've now stopped for lunch and more coffee before I do the other side.

I hope everybody else is having a better day......................................... :-)

Small update with Dudley the Micra.

Went to the scrappers today in search of Micra bits. There were no less than 6 K11’s in, where there were none last month (March must be scrap your Micra month..) anyway, I was in search of a new aerial as Storm Dennis had decided to snap it clean off, and maybe find the elusive 14” wheel trims that would have been original to the car. The first three Micras had aftermarket trims but the fourth gained an aerial at least. The last Micra I came to was a ‘Tempest’ model just like mine.

6FCF0004-24D8-47AA-ADE9-D70F65408497.thumb.jpeg.a7d971e17b48f7b178e4808bb5d0049a.jpeg

I thought maybe my luck might be in, so I opened the boot...

99BBC1F5-057A-486E-B37A-BF3FA0F56C3B.thumb.jpeg.2cbab1fea435fa027d8047322d26e86a.jpeg

JACKPOT.

These are the ones I’ve spent so long looking for. All four present and correct, unbroken with minimal scuffing.

1CED6FEB-A49F-4938-974F-CA884065849E.thumb.jpeg.6df0b89030f56fa3779d8c22b0a93db4.jpeg

I also liberated a wiper stalk from it too. I thought this would be the last part I could change to get the wipers to park correctly.

Other gems from the yard included..

18EC98AD-FD1F-43BD-A524-49DE19EA676E.thumb.jpeg.4eacfdba524156154e57d50fd19e9f4d.jpeg

977A8314-B3D1-416E-AF52-C719B2780721.thumb.jpeg.4bb5bf7c425d4e0ab75a79270cdc8c6d.jpeg

A SUPER-CLEAN Mk2 Mondeo with NO GAFFER TAPE ON THE BUMPERS! I honestly thought I was going to have a brain seizure. I’ve never seen this type of activity on a Mondeo before. I would snap those fuckers up STAT. Only 69k on the clock, 2.0 Pez Mills-o-matic.

In the front yard and WHAT THE SHIT IS THIS DOING HERE?

76F6080A-7A3B-4C87-8F6B-83C8CF9779DA.thumb.jpeg.14bb522f3b23271bd3955a1f09e93554.jpeg
6FB4F67C-7D63-4C79-A728-CFD1526D78ED.thumb.jpeg.3805ea043096e73f0cbdfa3fca25e7d5.jpeg

Oh man that is sexual. Shame it’s ended up here.

Anyway I paid just £10 for all that haul, so a quick drive back to the ‘rents house and let’s set to on this car like John Smeaton on a terrorist.

10B2695F-AA2E-450A-8AF7-A504881E9B35.thumb.jpeg.af86499f7d58867fdc3359ff0ce05c39.jpeg

Before: Cheap, nasty generic trims.

2C8404AC-840B-4789-BE63-36E823FAE68B.thumb.jpeg.744473d28bed052ba244dd0adc72ff85.jpeg

After: What a difference,

I replaced the wiper stalk and guess what...

..it only bloody works. So all that’s needed is a fresh oil change and it’s ready for an MOT! Wahoo! Video below.

(And FATHA_S Mercedes will be going to the same yard as he was offered good money for it.)

7 hours ago, volvov70 said:

I had a Cowely built 1966 Morris MINI Cooper.

It used to squeak going over bumps due to body flex and regularly broke despite continuous fettling.

Well, that's me told. Who knew? 

Did they have 2 assembly lines in the same country? Fecking madness. 

4 hours ago, Dannyk said:

Been a month since the mot still being a brilliant car, my dad has an app to check his MPG, I don't usually care but thought I'd check mine, Shirley this can't be right?

Screenshot_2020-03-05-22-26-58.png

IMG_20200302_140117.jpg

There's an app to convert the price per litre into mpg.  I think I've got a tab in an excel spreadsheet that converts mpg to price per mile. 

7 minutes ago, egg said:

@greengartside - good to see you about, and scouting around scrapyards. Keep it coming!

Thank you kind Sir!

A shameless plug to my Flickr page if you like this sort of thing... https://www.flickr.com/photos/24252872@N05/

Not sure why anyone would want to keep L115 WAH unless it’s for sentimental reasons. I wanted to keep T451 KBE off FATHA_S Mercedes for sentimental reasons but I’ll be damned to pay £80 for the privilege!