The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

When using humane traps, release the rodent at least half a mile away from where you caught it.  If you don't, it'll just take up residence again.  You'll likely catch about half a dozen before you get rid of the problem too, it won't just be the one mouse.

4 hours ago, Yoss said:

Started tidying the garage a bit as I'm planning on getting the Triumph out at the weekend. I opened the bonnet to see a little face looking at me. He then jumped out and managed to run along the door to the boot. 

IMG_20200302_165111.thumb.jpg.bf5da5bc8429d531e810d9fead55c786.jpg

Apparently, and I haven't personally tried this but those tumble dryer scented sheets like 'bounce' deter many things when they are placed around. It is said that rodents and such use their sense of smell to detect danger and if they can't smell an area, they won't go there. Plus your car will smell nice.

5 hours ago, barmatt said:

If anyone is going to the field of classics auction in Evesham this Saturday and wants a preview of the state of some of them, this video just appeared on my youtube.

Are either of these guys on here? They certainly love a bit of old chod.

Is this the opening scene from the little-known Romero horror 'Night of the living chod'?

What a load of shonky rammel; who's attending this then?

5 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Is this the opening scene from the little-known Romero horror 'Night of the living chod'?

What a load of shonky rammel; who's attending this then?

Lol  I have the dvd of that, it gave my OH nightmares for months afterwards. Even now she mutters about chod in her sleep 

On 3/1/2020 at 10:46 PM, Mr_Bo11ox said:

88240509_2639568379605842_15313472634214\

Someone just posted this on FB, it used to belong to forum member J-J on here, looking back he had it about 8 yrs ago. Anyone remember?

I bought it from him long before I was ever signed up here. It kills me to see it like that, but it was rough when I had it and I don't think the guy I sold it too was the right man to keep it going and it was not worth much then.

18 hours ago, bramz7 said:

Looking up the car gives a pistonhead thread posted by someone called W00dy

Is it @w00dy

Admittedly a thread from 2013

It's me.

spacer.png

Happier times.

Well, that's a literal first for me.  Had a printed letter through the door asking if "the old car" is for sale with a phone number.  They didn't bother knocking on the door, or even scribbling on the note which old car they were referring to so I reckon it was just scouting for scrap/bargains rather than someone seriously interested in acquiring a Princess or a BX.

57 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Well, that's a literal first for me.  Had a printed letter through the door asking if "the old car" is for sale with a phone number.  They didn't bother knocking on the door, or even scribbling on the note which old car they were referring to so I reckon it was just scouting for scrap/bargains rather than someone seriously interested in acquiring a Princess or a BX.

I was interested in the psychology of this stuff. I get regular notes on my Landcruiser. They are always the same "do you want to sell and a mob number". 

Never do they say 'I would like to buy this vehicle'  'I would pay this much if you sell' or give a name.

Of course the moment you respond to the "is the old car for sale stuff" the boring follow up question is "how much do you want for it?" Its like going down a rabbit hole. They never deliberately  have an idea of its value or what they wd give.

But I've noticed how similar it is to some internet trolls/timewasters I have come across -always lots of questions with the emphasis on you being made to lead the conversation but always manipulated by them. And sometimes being recontacted by the same person with the same rigmarole maybe a year later. Odd - took me some time to figure all this out.

I suppose you get wise and this is all new tech - notes on screen binned instantly and easy to spot an internet troll these days who just get blocked. They are the people who in whatever area of the internet you are using will just waste your time for whatever reason they have. 

Number blocking is easy and most sites like Twitter/WhatsApp a doddle. I block and get on with the rest of my day...

And the Landcruiser - that has lots of secondary security on it...I would never sell it I intend to be buried in it...it's just too useful.

So bin the note (I am sure you are). It's quite a pleasant feeling...lol

38 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Dickheads. Although according to some on here it’s perfectly normal behaviour. 

Some pikey plastered my van in “business cards” for their “commercial vehicle buying business” the other day. 

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

...I would never sell it I intend to be buried in it...

What are the regulations about people being buried in their cars? I think it's been done in the US, but never heard of a car-and-owner burial over here. Presumably it would mean the car being drained of all fluids and a concrete-lined grave.

Had the note been more personal, like a little biro scribble to say which car or something, I might have taken it more seriously.  After all, a door knock and a polite note through the door was what got me the Princess all those years ago.  I've mixed feelings on people leaving notes and opportunistically going after potential bargains because on the one hand there's nothing wrong with actually trying to make a bit of cash from something someone else might be throwing away, and on the other hand it seems to be the occupation of choice for unscrupulous graspers.

Eh, we'll see if anything comes of it.  Probably nothing will, I didn't respond, the note was immediately filed in the appropriate recepticle.  If nothing else, it's a reminder that I really need to find the time and motivation to get the valves sorted on the Princess, I had fully intended to have that running again by now.

It depends on the note. I think if anyone serious is interested they will at least give you a name and a brief writeup about why they would like to purchase said car. I once had such a note left on my Somerset, I actually phoned the bloke up and had a chat with him even though I had no intention of selling the car. I've left a couple of well-written notes for cars before and heard back from both the owners so I must be doing something right!

Notes with "Wud u sell this car" and a mobile number are from people after a quick buck, usually hoping to scrap or perhaps break or export it. Or maybe they're dreamers. Either way, put them straight in the bin.

I've left notes on cars before, but I don't think I'm a dickhead or a manipulator. I did tend to be detailed in my note with no forceful language. 

I stopped doing it as I then got a lot of hassle from someone who seemed hell bent on me buying their car, despite not being able to buy it at the time. Plus I then started getting basic notes left on some of my cars (AX and 305) and binned them, so became aware of the other side of leaving notes. 

44 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

...Notes with "Wud u sell this car" and a mobile number are from people after a quick buck, usually hoping to scrap or perhaps break or export it. Or maybe they're dreamers. Either way, put them straight in the bin.

Don't waste them. They make good firelighters.

23 hours ago, SiC said:

Funds requested for house purchase. It'll come in a minimum 24 hours and maximum of 5 days. Marked as urgent priority because of situation, so should (possibly) be done in time but no one will make any guarantee. 

House sale completes on the 4th March and we have to legally move out then. 

Need to let the removal company know if our stuff needs to go into storage by tomorrow first thing. Might just have to take the punt it'll happen on Wednesday. 

Farrrrrrrk...

Exchanged today. Completion and moving house tomorrow! ?

So. After buying a Rover 75 blind off EBay with no MOT and viewing it in the dark in the pissing down rain! Once I got it home and had a good look at it in the light I had one of those ‘oh fuck’ moments what have I bought. The foot wells were like duck ponds, the airbag light was on and the ABS light, the boot was full of water and it stank! Also once I got under the car it had rust! Lots of ‘surface rust’. So after many weeks work changing the side impact sensors, replacing all the wires and connectors under the seats, taking out all the carpets to dry them out and having a dehumidifier on the go for days on end, clearing out the sunroof drain holes and plenums. Then tackling the rust by wearing several wire brushes down and various wire wheels with my drill while inhaling and blinding myself with the resulting dust! I have finally got around to getting an MOT. I then spent all day yesterday cleaning and polishing it.

I only ever wanted a 75 if I could find it in this particular colour combo- old English white with Aubergine interior. I think it is the best (or worst) whichever way you look at it.

2B34D310-4631-4939-893E-E4925CBCAF1B.jpeg

7D8754F2-83A3-44C2-828F-9F4CB3D9CC39.jpeg

1D6DF91E-C565-4A42-8857-A316718C4D1B.jpeg

A46E3547-4EEA-46A2-91E2-0A49850932D2.jpeg