The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Why's that? It looks like someone's just paid for an expensive respray on it, the front end panels are fitted back on and it really looks like it only needs bumpers and grill fitting before it's returned to the owner!

It's parked outside a bodyshop so I don't think it's been abandoned!

cos i hate to see a P4 in bits.

25 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

Went to the council dump the other day and rescued this:

20200226_165257.thumb.jpg.856b13b4d74b027ab44a06aad41c566a.jpg

Its a CD30 out of a low spec Vectra or Astra. Don't know if it works.  Might try it in the Vectra or other Vauxhall product to see if it works.

Probably won't. I think they have to have the paired screen in the dash.

Picked this up this morning. V50 with abkut 160 miles. No test. I can hear a slight noise from a wheel bearing. And there is a bit of power missing so something turbo related i think. No warnings up and no smoke so hoping its not massive. Kinda took a punt on it as no car working right now. Paid a small bit more than i wanted but still small and well covered by what i made on the jeep. Expect lots of questions from me on it 

20200227_175043.jpg

On 2/27/2020 at 9:56 PM, brownnova said:

Quick call there the brother in law who dropped this round B0D70A70-658F-4BBB-9D88-5975656A7A4B.jpeg
Code relates to fuel pressure sensor. Now cleared. Let’s see if it recurs. French car forum search suggests a new fuel filter may be in order. 

So there is!! 

What, really, really annoys me about engine management lights, is that the car knows enough about what’s wrong to actually tell you exactly. Not force you to plug in a reader or go to the dealer. 

Different engine but my R56 needs a close eye kept on the oil. Since I upped the grade from 5/30 to 5/40 the consumption has slowed to about 1cm on the dipstick per week, regardless of whether you do 40 or 400 miles!

It took 3 and a half litres to get it back to max. I'll be checking it weekly from now on.
The oil light still comes on at very low revs. If I hold it above 3k it stays out. I'm getting some odd looks at traffic lights.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, gm said:

more mechanical stuff, builds engines and has a winning car in the bmw compact cup that his son drives. Nice guy, I’ll pm you his details if you like 

Sure send a PM please and I'll maybe take it around there for a quote for some work that needs done anyway. (non-bodywork related)

SMOLL update.

FATHA_GG has decided to sell his C-Class after nine years.

EE52C076-086D-4D64-894B-4B9FA65A593E.thumb.jpeg.e93d638c58c8b6c3fc313a5c5b9ed008.jpeg

It’s seen many things whilst he’s owned it. Births, marriages and deaths. It’s had numerous trips to see relatives in the North and I drove it through the middle of Manchester as part of my Uncle’s funeral cortège, it was the lead car.

He paid £1495 for it in 2011, and apart from tyres and consumables, has never cost him a penny. However galloping rot in the sills and everywhere else has sounded the death knell for this beast. It’s off to its new owner tomorrow who I think will use it until the MOT runs out then that will be the end. Maybe it’ll get exported or bangered, who knows. I did salvage the (excellent condition) genuine MB floor mats in Blue and the rear plastic boot tray, again in superb condition. These will be for sale if anyone wants them? I will provide pictures in due course.

I persuaded dad to order a new front plate and we got this today. The old plate now has pride of place in my shed as a treasured memory.

B3F5A3CE-7328-49EE-AAE4-37E36DDBB2E9.thumb.jpeg.c1f77733f08b5fc3b476d3c384e819ec.jpeg

The replacement is a ultra-modern Skoda Octavia.

7F4CEAE0-5C28-4BD5-B29E-44D1ADCDF0F0.thumb.jpeg.628dc1cfd330f9b1bc422bf1963ea3a7.jpeg

Quite nice actually, it’s the 1.4 TSi with DSG box. Full service history stamped by Skoda etc. He seems happy with it.

I still have Dudley the Micra. I plan to MOT it and flog it on. The wipers still don’t work properly despite me changing the wiper motor, so by deduction it’s the wiper relay at fault.

I have NO IDEA where the relay is as it’s the facelift one, the older ones had the relay next to the motor. Has anyone got any idea where it is? I also managed to open the sunroof as it was covered with sealant everywhere. I scraped all that crap off it and now it’s clean and usable. I forgot to take a picture of this, sadly. It was very satisfying though! I ran some water over the top of the sunroof to see where it’s leaking but I couldn’t see anything wrong. I may get the garage to blow the sunroof tubes out with a compressed airline to see if that does anything.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:57 AM, New POD said:

Is it any good. Daughter wants a Fiesta or Ka 

It's not too bad. The central locking only works from the passenger side, it runs cool so may need a thermostat and it's a bit scruffy but it is Mot'd until October.

48412387716_f9a46790ff_z.jpgDSCF0596 by timothy jones, on Flickr

I messaged my brother and he's replaced his Fiesta with a SEAT Alhambra, talk about upsizing. ?

6 hours ago, 00833827 said:

Picked this up this morning. V50 with abkut 160 miles. No test. I can hear a slight noise from a wheel bearing. And there is a bit of power missing so something turbo related i think. No warnings up and no smoke so hoping its not massive. Kinda took a punt on it as no car working right now. Paid a small bit more than i wanted but still small and well covered by what i made on the jeep. Expect lots of questions from me on it 

20200227_175043.jpg

Volvo fucked after 160 miles?

3 hours ago, paulplom said:

It took 3 and a half litres to get it back to max. I'll be checking it weekly from now on.
The oil light still comes on at very low revs. If I hold it above 3k it stays out. I'm getting some odd looks at traffic lights.

It's fucking fucked, mate, big time.

Just google mini oil loss.

Goodbye dear Merc, I loved owning it, it was real luxury to drive and I know that I'll miss it, especially as it's replacement is a Panda (yes I'll be Fixing It Again Tomorrow - quite literally).

IMG_20200229_125445.thumb.jpg.4143ec81926a4bde2f6b0e7d2857b840.jpg

Look after it's new owner, the excellent and delightful @Tetleysmooth.

6 hours ago, paulplom said:

3.5 litres is some top-up.

Mine uses nothing like that amount of oil.

I'd get a compression test done before doing anything else.

I'm now very glad I didnt swap my Clio for this as I was thinking about it.

Sorry it's not worked out for you, that's very bad luck.

5 hours ago, brownnova said:

About 1ish... it was mental and I decided not to wait in the massive queue... I’ll go tomorrow instead! 

Apparently, in the summer the queue has been known to extend to half way across the car park! 

I now have 3 towels on different parts of the interior to keep the seats from getting wet from the leaky tops of the door seals!

If it ever stops raining I'll plug them with the same red rubber grease I used to good effect on the top corner of the drivers door seal.

20200301_083829.jpg