The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Name that part!

It's the fuel filler cap on the Concerto - it's the wrong part, it should be an unpainted metal cap with a central ridge to turn it and 'GAS' stamped into it. 

But what *is* this off? It seems familiar but I can't put my finger on it. The central bit swings round to reveal a (mullered) keyhole. 

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

Name that part!

It's the fuel filler cap on the Concerto - it's the wrong part, it should be an unpainted metal cap with a central ridge to turn it and 'GAS' stamped into it. 

But what *is* this off? It seems familiar but I can't put my finger on it. The central bit swings round to reveal a (mullered) keyhole. 

If we could see the picture it might help?

BREAKING* NEWS. 

Discovery covered 200 miles today and autobox is 'clunking' into 1st from 2nd when coming to a stop. You know that noise you get if you have a CD in the old door pocket and it knocks about from side to side every time you hit a bend in the road... Like that.

Thought it was something in the glove box, but sadly no. Investigation starts tomorrow, and there's a lot to investigate, I can't wait*. PLACE BETTINGS NOW!!!

Boring indeed, but 19,000 steps Weds, 22,000 yesterday and 19,000 today at work. Going to try and crack 100,000 in a week, which should be doable.  Fucking hard graft, but the insults traded between co-workers are truly hilarious and make it all worthwhile. 

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

So as you would probably expect, I have spent a significant percentage of today poking around my new* Mercedes.  Had a quick rifle through the paperwork that came with it first thing this morning - there was no V5C but there was an ancient new keeper's section in there - I took it to the post office to see if I could use it to tax the car, but they said it was too old, so I've attached it to a V62 and sent that off instead.  It appears the Merc was originally a Spanish car (there's a driver's handbook in Spanish) and arrived in the UK in 2000.  So it's only* had to endure 20 years of British weather, which might explain why it's still more or less car shaped. 

I went out to where I'd dumped it on the car park after unloading it in the pitch dark last night, to find that I had actually managed to get it more or less into a parking space, which was good.  First task was to give the interior a quick wipe down with some, er, interior wipes, as the seat vinyl and the gearknob had got a bit of mould on them where the car had been standing.  The interior needs a bloody good clean but isn't actually in that bad a condition.  And look - genuine Mercedes floor mats!

DSC_0881.thumb.JPG.2ab5b79118080903d6e8bb083f99ad45.JPG

Then it was time to try and fire it up.  The battery that was on the car was completely dead, but fortunately the big battery I use for jump starting fitted OK, despite the terminals being the other way around.  It's a physically smaller battery but is only 5 AH and 30 CCA down on the battery that was on there, so I thought it'd do the job OK.  And it did - the car took a while to get started, but that was largely due to the fact that it has an old-style starter motor which disengages as soon as the motor tries to fire - if I'd been able to just keep cranking it it'd've got going a lot quicker.  Once it eventually fired up it ran quite happily.  The controls are quite old school - you turn the ignition on with the key, but starting is done via the large round knob below the fuel gauge - pull it out half way to operate the glow plugs, then all the way out to engage the starter.  To turn the engine off you push it all the way in.  In a similar way to the old Saab reverse gear interlock, it won't let you turn the ignition off at the key until the knob is pushed in.

DSC_0882.thumb.JPG.8c17d6372634aeedda523593cb55899a.JPG

I had a play with the electrics, and the only thing I've found so far that doesn't work is the fuel gauge.  Actually that's a lie, it only has one working reversing light.  The wipers initially weren't working but that turned out to just be the fuse - the blades were utterly shagged though so I went to Roys of Wroxham and shelled out £2.99 for a pair of refills, and they work fine now, although they don't self park (a trait shared with the other 1972 cars in my fleet, the 164 and the Renault 6).  Headights, indicators and horn are all present and correct, and the heater seems fairly decent for a car of this age, although as is often the case with diesels it takes a little while to warm up.  I haven't yet worked out how to wash the windscreen however, and I have no idea if the heated rear window works as it was that windy today there was no chance of anything misting up.  It also has power steering (which works now I've put some fluid in it) and central locking, which were a surprise - I didn't think these taxi-spec Mercs were thus equpipped.  The central locking does appear to have a slight vacuum leak as it doesn't work after the car has been left overnight.

Opening the boot revealed a full set of genuine wheel trims.  And some mould.

DSC_0883.thumb.JPG.be2642035da02718c32169ff75cf2601.JPG

The dangly wires are for the speakers which have been fitted to the parcel shelf for some long-dead in car entertainment.  The car now has its blanking plate back in its rightful place, which is much better.

DSC_0884.thumb.JPG.b49c6ac27a93c7216cd4f5d4408d709a.JPG

In what seems to be a fairly common issue with German cars of the 1970s, the accelerator pedal is missing - only the metal bar is left.  I might have to do something about that as from my experience with old BMWs, driving using just the bar can get a bit awkward after a while.  It has the usual Merc foot-operated parking brake, which I haven't been brave enough to try yet.

DSC_0885.thumb.JPG.a99cba9dca4273a4e9498621c9d22d63.JPG

This is where the magic happens - 2.2 litres and 64bhp of OM615 goodness.

DSC_0886.thumb.JPG.a6f50c58b95101251101c07d6b0143b4.JPG

It's the oldest diesel I've owned by several years, and it shows it in things like the amount of glowplug time it needs before it'll fire up, but it sounds OK and it isn't comically unrefined.  The throttle linkage is a bit stiff so that'll need lubing up at some point, but that's not a massive issue.  It gets up to temperature OK and it doesn't seem to smoke excessively.  There's an idle speed control knob on the dash, which is cool - last vehicle I had with one of those was an Isuzu Trooper.

Bodywork wise it has some issues, as I expected.  The rear edge of the roof looked completely rotten in the eBay pics, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it is in fact surface rust under peeling paint.

DSC_0888.thumb.JPG.d979e7b9f53071ef31f6f6e2cf0df681.JPG

I think it's had a respray at some stage - the paint code under the bonnet indicates it should be a pale beige.  I quite like the metallic green though.

The bonnet paintwork needs some attention as well, but apart from one spot the panel itself is in quite good condition.

DSC_0889.thumb.JPG.e9f49e1e9cab3e7472703104855997e5.JPG

There's some grot on the small scuttle panels next to the vents, but I don't think they should be too huge a challenge to sort.  The most unsightly bit of the car is this bit on the offside rear wing:

DSC_0891.thumb.JPG.a40587f31ebd53e6c162af86347f4685.JPG

That's going to need some tlc at some point fairly soon.  Underneath has some grot, but it's far from the most rotten car I've owned - in fact it's probably not even the most rotten car I own now...  All the important structural bits (suspension mountings etc) seem to be sound enough.

In fact the only thing that's really preventing it from being drivable on the road at the moment are the brakes - they work after a fashion, but the pedal is very soft and they stick on quite badly (I suspect knackered flexis as they seem to free themselves off after a while).  So that's top of the list to sort when I get the time to start working on it.

I spent a couple of hours in the howling wind making room to get it on the drive.  This involved emptying the boxes of crap out of the garage, extricating the Spacy and the Mobylette and then the Innocenti (which fired straight up despite not having been touched for at least three months, although it did have a flat tyre) and the boat, which had been hanging from the wall on its side for a couple of years but went onto its trailer easily enough.  Then I drove the 164 round to the garage and backed it in (a bit of a tight fit as it's 15'6" long and so is the garage).  I was able to get most of the other crap back in around it - only the boat and the Spacy are having to live outside for the time being.  I've stuck the Innocenti on the car park for now - having it in sight might encourage me to actually get it back on the road.  Then I drove the Merc up the road from the car park and manoeuvred it into the drive - my first "proper" drive in it (driving it onto the trailer yesterday doesn't really count) - I even got into second gear!  The gearbox seems much more pleasant to use than later Merc manuals I've experienced.

Here it is in its new home.

DSC_0894.thumb.JPG.403f8a7f6687dbde81583ecaec783c1c.JPG

DSC_0895.thumb.JPG.c8fb2b417674b3724371a672220a89a3.JPG

And so to bed.

Fit. 64 bhp. There are quicker glaciers.

MOT pass today for this roffle win Saab 900i Auto.  I've spent a pretty penny on this lucky machine recently and it's pretty much spot on now, but I'm too busy and too short of space to enjoy it at the moment so I'm giving it to a pal up Finchley way to look after and maybe keep. Give it a wave if you see it cruising North London. 

Screenshot_20200221_234811_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200221_234244.jpg

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Scotland and back (572 miles) in the 9000 over the last couple of days. Faultless as ever... 

Saw two other 9000s whilst we were up there too! 

I've just woken up to start my journey to Scotland this weekend! 

Sadly it'll be mostly in a hyundai ioniq not a Saab 9000,although by breakfast I'll be parked infront of a 9000...

13 hours ago, Alan_Green said:

MOT pass today for this roffle win Saab 900i Auto.  I've spent a pretty penny on this lucky machine recently and it's pretty much spot on now, but I'm too busy and too short of space to enjoy it at the moment so I'm giving it to a pal up Finchley way to look after and maybe keep. Give it a wave if you see it cruising North London. 

Really happy to see she's still on the go and getting the attention she deserves.  Still one of the best all round cars I've ever owned.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Fair enough - I'll start one when I get round to actually doing some fettling on the beast.

Looking for something else, but those radio blanking plates are not cheap!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-W114-W115-230-Radio-Blanking-Plate/173878275894?hash=item287bf3ef36:g:amkAAOSw83taVNhV

17 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Indeed - neither are wheel trims.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-chrome-hub-caps-wheel-trims-w123-w107-w116-w114-w115-39-cm/174109356579?hash=item2889b9f223:g:Bv4AAOSwnGld33N9

In fact I could easily make more than I paid for the car by breaking it, but where's the fun in that?