The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

8 hours ago, paulplom said:

Just broke my favourite cup while washing the dishes. The cup has always been ironic. The irony being, it was bought for me by the biggest cunt I've ever had the misfortune to meet.9ce3e69345cd6c4ab7467def5b6e4f6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

When you got it, did you thank and assured  the other person that the mug will always remind you of him or her?

5 hours ago, BoggyMires said:

Instrvctions in Transylvanian too it would appear!

Could you take a picture of said instructions and post it? I do love me a nice bit of google translate humour.  Last chinese bit of kitchen equipment I bought had a nice recipe on how to make soup from babies.

Bluebird wouldn't start this morning, didn't have time to look at it until I got home. Came back and spent a while pissing around with checking the ignition system, before realising that one of the autochoke flaps was stuck shut, and it starts perfectly if prodded open. Sod's law dictates that this is just as it gets too dark and cold to reasonably do any work, so will have to investigate further tomorrow.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, PhilA said:

20200218_113347.thumb.jpg.cfeb92ac2b26cf8465f577ce4cdafade.jpg

20200218_113407.thumb.jpg.f319318f4137ee58e217047312f14173.jpg

20200218_113339.thumb.jpg.a17aeb29f5f3ab27ccbd2285b4aeb9f3.jpg

Stage 1 is nearly complete. I'm glad I put the air conditioner on in the workshop else the paint would've bloomed.

Phil

20200220_110815.thumb.jpg.da4d3b52b2642e678cc8959eb1779404.jpg

New speaker grill fabric arrived. Original scrap right there to compare how it should look. Really nice fabric, happy with that.

Phil

New boots ordered for Suzuki. £160 I didn't want to spend, but as I'm off to Canterbury on Saturday morning to catch up with some old Uni chums who still live round those parts I don't want 1 Polish death ring, 2 almost worn out Nankangs and an 18 year old spare.

4x Avon ZV7s to be fitted, and going mingebag by asking them not to change the valves. Only place that could have fitted them by Saturday afternoon is Formula 1 in Bognor.

2 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

Arriving at the Sloth in a Bowl palace this morning, coz working there, pulled the handbrake up

to be greeted by a twang and nothing. Bollix ! I got new ones about 3 years ago. Pre coronavirus crap

I suppose.

Your mistake there was using it in the first place, all custodians of citroen CXs stopped applying them after a week. 

Oh fucking bollocks , major FTP after filling up with diesel in the garage.....starter motor failure. Not a  click , well you hear a click  but no starter motor .. not the inhibitor either as I smashed it off and bridged the wires ..Automatic Pajero so no chance of bump starting!  and it looks a right bastard to get at... Bro in law towed me home..

Well after 18 hours, 670 miles, £115 of diesel and one police stop, the Rover, the Merc and I are safely home and the trailer is back with the esteemed shiter to whom it belongs.

I won't be doing anything like that again in a hurry.  Comfortable though Rover 75 seats are, 16 hours is more than enough time to spend sat in them in a day.  It did an OK job of towing the Merc home, but it was abundantly clear that it was only about 50kg off its max towing weight - hill starts in particular had it scrabbling for grip when the road was wet, and pulling out to overtake lorries on the motorway took some forward planning.  It managed it though which was the main thing.

Tomorrow's job is to clear out the garage (which will involve turfing out the Innocenti and the boat, among other things) and stick the Volvo in there so that the Merc can take up temporary residence on the drive whilst I go over it and sort out what it needs.  I was hoping to make a start this weekend but I have a job interview on Monday which I need to prepare for so Merc fettling might need to be put off for a week.  I'll take some more photos tomorrow though - it's quite a vehicle...

20 hours ago, TataBobu said:

When you got it, did you thank and assured  the other person that the mug will always remind you of him or her?

Could you take a picture of said instructions and post it? I do love me a nice bit of google translate humour.  Last chinese bit of kitchen equipment I bought had a nice recipe on how to make soup from babies.

So.... Read the instructions...

IMG_20200221_122329356.thumb.jpg.74308137e8fb959c8ff77e4019940bfa.jpg

After extreme neck ache...

IMG_20200221_122129605.thumb.jpg.c73b80b52c76de89aa6074811885878a.jpg

NOTHING! Off to buy 3 new car batteries.

25 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

They basically wanted to make sure I hadn't nicked it - towing an empty car transporter trailer through the wilds of Norfolk late at night does look a bit dodgy tbf. 

A car I was passenger in, towing a car transporter trailer many years ago was stopped for that exact reason.  I spoke with the copper briefly and he mentioned that he stops just about anyone towing a car transporter or plant trailer, and his hit-rate for finding stolen ones was remarkably high.

A bit like back in the 90's when an officer who used to frequent the 24hr fuel station I worked in commented that he pulled over every single 'scrote XR3i/RS turbo and Arstra GTE, as his hit rate for finding stolen ones was well over half of them.  He only left them alone once he recognised a driver in the car.  Some owners were twats about it, but the vast majority were pleased, as it meant there was a fighting chance that if their car was stolen, it would be stopped.