The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

55 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I almost forgot this picture I took last Friday while shopping!

Usual look around the car park revealed nothing that caught my eye so I returned to my car and realised there were many things more interesting than what I was parked next too!

I looked over and could not say what it was until I found a badge.

Bland, bland, bland!

IMG_20200214_121809 broad.jpg

New version due out this year I think. Which is even blander!

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

I almost forgot this picture I took last Friday while shopping!

Usual look around the car park revealed nothing that caught my eye so I returned to my car and realised there were many things more interesting than what I was parked next too!

I looked over and could not say what it was until I found a badge.

Bland, bland, bland!

IMG_20200214_121809 broad.jpg

Sorry, I can't see anything in this picture.

9 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

They all look the same these days

40 odd years ago when when I was sat in my Triumph Vitesse I could name any car marketed in the UK from a picture this size, Cortina, Datsun, Fiat, whatever.

The question is, is it me getting old or are cars more difficult to identify now?

Maybe there is a bigger range on sale today or my brain is full from looking at cars for 50+ years?

8 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

40 odd years ago when when I was sat in my Triumph Vitesse I could name any car marketed in the UK from a picture this size, Cortina, Datsun, Fiat, whatever.

The question is, is it me getting old or are cars more difficult to identify now?

Maybe there is a bigger range on sale today or my brain is full from looking at cars for 50+ years?

It seems to me as if car manufacturers are going after the sharp angles polygon look on their cars, even if it looks silly. It's a bit like when car manufacturers made their cars all bubblly and smooth in the 1990s. I'm sure this current style will fall out of fashion at some point.

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Cars look as similar to each other now as they did in the past. 

Metros look like Fiestas, Visas, Unos etc. 

In any given time period there has been a particular style for cars, and the vast majority of cars of any time period have looked like each other save for minor trim, grill and light differences.

Had another fit of enthusiasm today, might need to see the doctor about this, but in this episode I managed to change the side light light on the Vectra:

20200217_152745.thumb.jpg.432784d3e27934a2b7bc8121c85014c0.jpg

The large intake pipe in the centre of the pic could be taken off from one end and moved about making it easier to access the rear of the side light (the small circular cap on the right of the pipe) thus also easier to fit my hand and comfortably grip and unlip the side-light bulb holder and bulb. Had some spare bulbs and within another couple of minutes the all was normal again with the Vectra. All lights are now working.

5 hours ago, egg said:

Might well do that, I need to get it up to speed to see how the wheel sits then. He admitted he didn't take it for a test run because we have a lot of congestion in town today (due to the collapsed building I posted during this week's storm).

Could you not just hoik the wheel off and then refit it a couple of splines round?  Should be easy* with no airbag to worry about.

On 2/15/2020 at 5:54 PM, RobT said:

I didn't get time to swap the door handles and integral lock, and it looks a pain to get them off, so that's unlikely ever to happen if I'm being honest.

Took me 2 minutes this evening to get the old one off.

20200217_213737.thumb.jpg.2e5da88b56923d15420e69dbd8334c0e.jpg

Lazy twat.  I should've done a proper job on Saturday.  Oh well, might have a go next weekend. But only if I can manage to remove the torx headed screw I rounded off whilst fitting the door card to the replacement door...

Thema td has,been leaking diesel for a while from top gasket on bosch fuel pump. Found lancia part number put it into Google, seems it's a common seal kit that was needed. Ordered seal kit, took a weak to come. Fitted top seal, checked for leaks all seemed ok. Drove to work, when stuck in traffic I could smell diesel worse than before. Checked and work and same seal pissing out. Got mad threw rest of seals in bin and went old school. Looked round workshop and found a oil filter seal that looked roughly same size, fitted it. 3 days in its still bone dry. 

Urgh. Left my little 6V battery on my big charger in the den on my workbench.

Seems my big charger isn't 6 volts on the 6 volt charge setting because I just got woken up having forgotten about it, the house stinks of hydrogen disulphide and the battery was swollen and hot and the ammeter reading about 6 amps.

Fucksticks

Airing out the house at 2am, just my idea of fun. Several moths think this is their house now. 

Phil

In an act of rebellion two wheel bolts have sheared off in my hands, without undue force or anything! At 1am, quite far from home. TAXI

20200218_015129.thumb.jpg.4d531eb986dbb4d012dde0f47adff1f9.jpg

I think it's upset with me because I flattened the battery by leaving the interior light on all weekend. Or more likely, the state of the roads this winter has significantly weakened the wheel bolts. Either way I'm treating it to a full new set because I'd rather not experience a wheel flying off when it turns out the rest are gubbed too.

5 hours ago, PhilA said:

Seems my big charger isn't 6 volts on the 6 volt charge setting because I just got woken up having forgotten about it, the house stinks of hydrogen disulphide and the battery was swollen and hot and the ammeter reading about 6 amps.

Fucksticks

Airing out the house at 2am, just my idea of fun. Several moths think this is their house now. 

Phil

Just ordered 2 replacements- one can stay in my bike and one for the workbench. $16 delivered. The price of lead acid batteries has plummeted in the last 2 years- I bought the current one for $30 in 2018.

Mondeo won't start. Jealous of the Metro arrival? Battery at 11v. Ah.

Hopefully it will take a charge so I can at least get the broken fence panel in the boot up to the tip!

To be fair, it was on the car when I got it 4 years ago.

I chickened out of fuel gauge roulette with the BX.  Set off from a parking space on a slope and as I turned out of the bay, the car ran out of fuel.  Not because there was no fuel in it, but because the fuel that was in it was at the wrong corner of the tank.  So, the danger zone on my BX's fuel gauge starts at just under the 8th of a tank mark, which is worth knowing.  I do wonder if the guage or the sender is calibrated wrong anyway because when you fill it the needle sits higher than the full mark on the guage so I might have been a bit closer to empty than I thought I was.  It's useful knowledge to have anyway.

I'm also not sure if using up as much of the fuel as I could in the car has been the reason the starting problem went away, or if it was something else entirely, Because French.  It can't hurt to burn up the old fuel at any rate, and it seems much happier since I put £20 of fresh diesel in it.

25 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Had the headlights mended on the Subaru. £84, not the end of the world and I'm less likely to get pulled or crash for having a light out, or get pulled as I crashed because I had a light out. 

What was up with them? Just the snapped clips and ziptie bodge?

21 minutes ago, loserone said:

What was up with them? Just the snapped clips and ziptie bodge?

No, it was some electrical shizzle stopping the O/S one working properly. I'd changed and swapped over the bulbs just after I'd got it to no avail so it was obviously an electrical gremlin. 

I mean the light still worked, it was just really dull compared to the other one. 

10 hours ago, PhilA said:

Fucksticks

Phil

And this of course is why modern chargers won't charge at 12v if the voltage is too low. Users just can't be trusted! :D