The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

20200216_153420.thumb.jpg.fb24df568e668f00db7540c80b087716.jpg

Had a go at making the craquelure paint go evenly across a fairly big panel. Worked well apart from one but that refuses to go right, typical.

Pulled off and washed the original grill cloth where the speaker goes, what was left of it.

20200216_155804.thumb.jpg.b49038d81e901ad8cac8feab7e829aab.jpg

Have found a reproduction of that exact pattern so ordered a piece to go in. Getting somewhere with this now.

Phil

8 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Urgh.

1E8F03FF-AC26-4596-AE5A-87D4CCCFED9A.jpeg

Ive no idea why folk continue to buy these shitty larch lap panels. They are piss thin and dont allow wind to pass through therefore just fuck off into a neighbouring garden in the slightest breeze. I point blank refuse to supply, fit or repair fencing like this, but will happily build a slat and rail fence for a lot less cost than these! Been building fences since 2006 and every single one is still standing, and none of them has moved an inch! 

3 hours ago, yes oui si said:

This wee bastard was sheltering from the wind when I got back from the hospital. Have taken him out some food and a couple of blankets, hopefully he's not still there when I go back down tomorrow. 

IMG_20200216_200004.thumb.jpg.23f50d546a2b37d391a3bd956820cc2f.jpg

Can I suggest you pop the bonnet before you head out again in this motah? - just in case homeless-mog has chosen a warm engine bay over your blankets... One cat in your exhaust system is enough, eh?

4 hours ago, chodweaver said:

Can I suggest you pop the bonnet before you head out again in this motah? - just in case homeless-mog has chosen a warm engine bay over your blankets... One cat in your exhaust system is enough, eh?

Usually knock on the bonnet when it's cold anyway :)

7 hours ago, chancer said:

Ive no idea why folk continue to buy these shitty larch lap panels. They are piss thin and dont allow wind to pass through therefore just fuck off into a neighbouring garden in the slightest breeze. I point blank refuse to supply, fit or repair fencing like this, but will happily build a slat and rail fence for a lot less cost than these! Been building fences since 2006 and every single one is still standing, and none of them has moved an inch! 

Came with the house.

The reason we've fitted a few of these panels is that about 50 of them came with the house, so replacing the lot would be... expensive.  If we lose the odd one (I think this is the third in five years) so be it, they're £25 apiece in Wickes so it's hardly the end of the world.

Our neighbours have annoyingly just insisted on nailing the panel between our garden and them back together which I was planning on replacing today (seemed little point in doing anything with it until after the storms had done their thing).  I was just going to replace it out of our pocket, had no intention of bothering to ask them for money.  Given they live in a two bedroom house and have six kids, I'm guessing they're not exactly rolling in it. Asking them anything is a bit of a challenge though as neither of them seem to speak more than about two words of English.

Went outside while they were hammering away to suggest that I just get the panel replaced for them.  I'd bodged it together a bit after the last storm just to keep the dogs out of their garden, but unsurprisingly it disintegrated this weekend. The panel is now utterly knackered.  The lower quarter or so was rotten before we even had this wind.  The response to my suggestion was having a stream of abuse hurled at me.

Yay...once again I offer to do something for someone and get a face full of abuse for my troubles.

Plus we've now got to put up with an utterly fscked fence panel in that garden, which I know is probably going to atomise again next time we have a strong wind...so I'll need to make a point of checking every time I let the dogs out.

I really hope one day I can move back to somewhere where we don't have any immediate neighbours.  The nearest five to ten miles away would be quite nice.

ABOUT 20 years ago I bodged 2 fence panels between the house and the garage, by nailing 2 fence panels to them. The wooden post rotted at the bottom and I hammered 2 bits of wood into the ground to stabilise it. The panels started falling apart about 4 years ago and I used a selection of large long cable ties to hold it all together. 

I can't believe it survived last night.  I would be fine with it failing.  I might replace the 10 foot with a bespoke gate. 

£40 for the tracking (and so it begins)...

But, now the steering wheel is about 5 degrees out rather than 45 and steers better for sure.  Improvement number 1, tick.

However, I knew this place would diagnose other issues for me, and I have a water leak (lucky it came with a new pump in the boot then) and a clicking nearside CV joint - which will probably need doing.

Roffle ticket price increasing ?

I'll start a thread for car (not the roffle!) soon.

Micra bodywork continues. Got a mobile welder to do the rear sill ends + rear part of the arch both sides, charged £200 which was reasonable I feel. The whole corner of the sill had gone, all the way through so was a tricky one. Unfortunately he overlapped the metal instead of just tacking it end to end + grinding so has required a metric ton of filler to get flat.

I managed to do the boot floor, looks pretty poor but nobody's going to see it, and it's properly attached and all! 

IMG_20200217_143507050_HDR.thumb.jpg.aa0c533f1394fa428fc0377a535839d3.jpg

Hopefully will look passable eventually + after fixing the leaking rear lights and re-directing the sunroof drain through the sill drain grommet (nissan has it drain into the sill, fantastic design), should last for a few more years. 

Got a 400 mile round trip to south Wales coming up this weekend so we'll see how it fares :D

I almost forgot this picture I took last Friday while shopping!

Usual look around the car park revealed nothing that caught my eye so I returned to my car and realised there were many things more interesting than what I was parked next too!

I looked over and could not say what it was until I found a badge.

Bland, bland, bland!

IMG_20200214_121809 broad.jpg

2 hours ago, egg said:

£40 for the tracking (and so it begins)...

But, now the steering wheel is about 5 degrees out rather than 45 and steers better for sure.  Improvement number 1, tick.

However, I knew this place would diagnose other issues for me, and I have a water leak (lucky it came with a new pump in the boot then) and a clicking nearside CV joint - which will probably need doing.

Roffle ticket price increasing ?

I'll start a thread for car (not the roffle!) soon.

I'm sure they're meant to use a thing to hold the steering wheel at 12 o'clock and adjust the track rod ends to suit. Take it back.

12 minutes ago, paulplom said:

I'm sure they're meant to use a thing to old the steering wheel at 12 o'clock and adjust the track rod ends to suit. Take it back.

Might well do that, I need to get it up to speed to see how the wheel sits then. He admitted he didn't take it for a test run because we have a lot of congestion in town today (due to the collapsed building I posted during this week's storm).