The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

One of my former cars had come up for sale! 
060C46A7-4187-444D-9E9F-8A87A927B488.jpeg

Craptical Plastics are selling JLO the Dolomite which has been converted to run an MX5 engine.

Here I it is when it was mine... many moons ago! 
644E3A8F-94A7-4535-AA9D-0C4ED22ABEAD.jpeg

Price tags put me off... or I totally would! 

3 hours ago, egg said:

incoming....

Just left a £50 deposit on some 90's shite. Not that exciting, but it does have a carb, a choke, 4 speeds and no PAS.

The kind sellers are delivering it to my door Saturday morning. 

Possible future roffle fodder ahoy...

I want this to be a Fiesta Popular with no clock in the dash and in that flat blue colour that half of them came in. 

After many, many hours of graft, the work room is now usable as a work room.  After pulling off six layers of wallpaper and filling nearly 100 holes in the walls, repairs to the plaster from historic water damage (overfilled bath, we think), replacing the electrical fittings with new stuff, and even restoring furniture to go in the room I can say I'm happy with my choices.  Except for the two desks, they need some alteration, namely a lot more teak veneer.  Since most of my furniture was already 1960s and 1970s stuff, I just rolled with that and went for a nicely offensive shade of green to really show off the teak.  Spent too much on old anglepoise lamps (one brown, one orange).  Flooring is just generic carpet tiles, it took longer to decide on a colour and pattern for them than it did to fit them.  Suffice to say, I'm really happy with how it turned out and I can look out of my window and see the cars while I work, which is probably motivational or something.

20200213-Study03.thumb.jpg.dca91fe06f9b26d950366127926c096d.jpg

20200213-Study04.thumb.jpg.dd1add61a4b4d4b61763bc55073d1e23.jpg

It'll look better when that second desk is cleared.  On the model cars, only two casualties which was one mirror coming unglued and one running board on the Beetle coming unglued which, honestly, is pretty good for how fragile built model kits can be.

That's a Lidl special wall mounted display cabinet I haven't finished building, ran out of time.  Just as well though because I realised you can get Fablon in all sorts of wood finishes so I'm going to re-wrap it today if I can find a wood colour that's suitable, maybe a different vinyl or wallpaper for the backing so it provides better contrast to the items on display.  Got two ex-Ikea bookcase shelves to get the same treatment, and again on the chest of drawers under the desk which is also getting some funky mid-century handles fitted to age it down.  Then I need to buy a good amount of thick teak veneer for both desks and some brown paint for the metal frame on the bigger one.

Since I'm making new stuff look older than it is, does that mean I'm down-cycling?

18 hours ago, egg said:

incoming....

Just left a £50 deposit on some 90's shite. Not that exciting, but it does have a carb, a choke, 4 speeds and no PAS.

The kind sellers are delivering it to my door Saturday morning. 

Possible future roffle fodder ahoy...

Civic DX auto?

It didn't run. (perfect for the FOD!).

and this one is $40,000 https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1088539

Closely followed by a Japanese (probably ) family in a Toyota Alphard Executive Lounge. Which I'd not heard of. They all got out  ( apart from the chauffer), went into the hanger to look at something posh and expensive. Interior of the van looked quite impressive.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alphard+executive+lounge&sxsrf=ACYBGNRXfGR9VnQ7eEPHtGkH_VeJ1SSSgw:1581686806114&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=dtVI0ffl76knSM%3A%2C5Azr4hckp-W-LM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSAcJctgx398Ovhxx41ed8pg19jVg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjqruXBktHnAhUUWsAKHewCCqkQ9QEwCHoECAgQKA#imgrc=dtVI0ffl76knSM:

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

A rough looking thing like that for £300 that would be useful at the FoD as a motorised wheel barrow, get it bought!

No need to spend money.
You already have the tiddly truck, which actually is a motorised wheelbarrow.
Hopefully when the weather improves we can have another FoD tinkering day and fit the new petrol tap.
Then hopefully it will be a runner again.
Or is there any hope of resurrection for the Chinese JingLing thing?

35 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

No need to spend money.
You already have the tiddly truck, which actually is a motorised wheelbarrow.
Hopefully when the weather improves we can have another FoD tinkering day and fit the new petrol tap.
Then hopefully it will be a runner again.
Or is there any hope of resurrection for the Chinese JingLing thing?

As well as getting the Tiddly truck working, Catsinthewelder has had the Jingling engine case welded so I hope we will have that running as well. 

Maybe we should get Hubnut to do a back to back driving review!

13 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

As well as getting the Tiddly truck working, Catsinthewelder has had the Jingling engine case welded so I hope we will have that running as well. 

Maybe we should get Hubnut to do a back to back driving review!

Good news on the JingLing.

Tortoise and hare job.
JingLing would blow tiddly truck away for about 10 minutes, then break.
Tiddly truck would just keep plodding on until it ran out of fuel. ?

2 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

@LightBulbFun I wonder what would happen if someone turned up for their driving test in an Invacar

sadly they dont meet the requirements for a Class B driving test

image.thumb.png.a51c6285dc6f71ac51af3923f414f622.png

you could probably take an invacar if you were doing a driving test in a Tricycle due to medical reasons (but your licence would be restricted to Tricycles only)

I do wonder how it worked back in the day, I have seen plenty of period Photos of Invalid vehicles out and about on L plates

image.png

so clearly it was more than just "do a lap of the hospital car park"  as is commonly (miss) reported on the internet, and Stuart told me in the past, that after 1960, users had to pass at least a class 3 Tricycle test/licence, but im not sure what that involved exactly

(which I think would be Class C here https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories note that the 410Kg thing crops up again! also note the Invalid carriage category J, that AFAIK is no longer issued or such like, so who only knows what the modern day licence requirements of an actual invalid carriage (an invalid vehicle weighing 254Kg or less) are!)

28 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Any rules for taking your driving test while dressed as Deadpool?

Nope LOL

they also dont have anything about the car actually requiring 2 seats for the instructor...

so I wonder what would happen if you rolled up in a Larmar invalid car...

image.png.ea5ecb8784f650829894ed564697f2fe.png

(ok not sure it can hit 62Mph, but if you ask Derry preston cob if you can borrow the engine from his Invacar new era, it should!)

One successfully downcycled display cabinet.  "Japanese Elm" is apparently what Fablon calls teak, at least in the range available at our local Homebase.  Wilkinson's own brand enamel grey-green for the backing board.  Pretty chuffed with how will this turned out, looks a good 30 years older than it really is.  Original teak veneered chair back for comparison purposes.

20200214-Study01.thumb.jpg.97f1205a09424d2ada56f181524f0d7d.jpg

20200214-Study02.thumb.jpg.a23f7c895dfc472670ea84b92815c495.jpg

Good work on the furniture and room there.

I've got to set off on a collection mission very shortly, but it's not very epic or exciting. It'll involve me borrowing my son's bike and cycling 2-3 miles to the garage to get the Camry, now it's T&Ted and had an oil and filter change. Then buy a new battery (as it's currently using one robbed off the Sunny) and use it to go and watch a rally event at Snetterton.

We have finally moved in to our home, mrs got a start date for her new job, so thats all good good. As a bonus I have spent the last year or so helping my dad out due to mobility issues and finally this wk end my brothers are helping him move into sheltered housing, timing could not be more perfect. As always there is a downside and the social landlord is trying to fuck us over on stuff they should have made the last tenant deal with  bunch of C's, they have been nowt but grief. Nice this morning looking out over open fields.

Well that was easy enough.  Wind was even in my favour cycling there, and I didn't have to do battle with it coming back home. Camry now happily on the driveway and ready for use after breakfast.

IMG_0901edit.thumb.jpg.97d42e8cd1e3ef968146e183de09795b.jpg

It's still such a great thing to drive, with a quality feel and still pretty tight given its age and mileage. The new clutch and various suspension parts it had back in 2017 probably help there. Approaching 108k miles now, would be good to crack 110,000 by next year's MoT.

Still a long way to the 203k my previous estate got to.......