The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, egg said:

I think people read more than they necessarily react to or comment on. E.g. at FoTU last year, a chap came up to me who said he was just a lurker on here, but really enjoyed my Mondeo thread. A nice moment!

It's reckoned that only between 1 to 10% of users actually contribute and post. 

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

Don't think anyone reads mine either, except egg who still has Skoda licking tendencies from his brief Favorit ownership

I’ve just been catching up on your thread. I like it a lot.

Threads can easily drop down the page and get missed if you’re not looking out for them. This is a lot better now we have more sections, but it still happens a bit.

What egg says about shiny new things is spot on, too.

7 minutes ago, Yoss said:

^^ Yes. The route from Hockley viaduct, clearly visible from the M3, into Winchester. There's still a fair bit of railway architecture visible, I did take some more interesting pictures, but that one is particularly dull. 

The DN&S was a fascinating cross-country route. Single-line for much of the way until WW2, it wasn't exactly high-speed.

The last services ran on it around 1960, I think.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:08 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The DN&S was a fascinating cross-country route. Single-line for much of the way until WW2, it wasn't exactly high-speed.

That takes me back.  I remember the last freights on the DN&S in 1964, maybe one or two a day.  Some were still steam.  My cousin's house backed onto the line and as small boys do, we used to get through the fence and walk by the track, and in the sidings to an abandoned brick works  - that was when I first heard the call of the railway!  My cousin actually rode on one of the last trains - he was given a ride on the  demolition contractor's loco.  I wish I'd been there that day..... 

8 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

That takes me back.  I remember the last freights on the DN&S in 1964, maybe one or two a day.  Some were still steam. ..... 

There was a very remote station - not much more than a halt in what was then the arse-end of nowhere: Worthy Down. No road access back then!

7 hours ago, egg said:

Right, no bloody luck on that Mazda 323 in Redhill (no answer today) - but have just arranged to see another sub £400 90's car on Thursday night. Buy to Roffle, but no details until I've seen the thing...

A bit ironic that his advert says no messers.... 

Nothing worse than people who advertise things for sale and don't end the adverts properly so they stay live with auto repost on some sites... ?

Audi MOT at a different garage today. 

New balljoints, column stalk assembly and dampers in the boot so I think my prediction was fair. It had been sitting since Sunday so the emissions fail is not a surprise really and hopefully a grease up of the sliders on the back brakes will sort that issue.

Just waiting to hear from the garage about a price for the work required.

Screenshot_2020-02-11-09-40-12.png

17 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Former Didcot, Newbury and Southampton route?

16 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

16 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

That takes me back.  I remember the last freights on the DN&S in 1964, maybe one or two a day.  Some were still steam.  My cousin's house backed onto the line near Hermitage and as small boys do, we used to get through the fence and walk by the track, and in the sidings to the abandoned brick works  - that was when I first heard the call of the railway!  My cousin actually rode on one of the last trains - he was given a ride on the  demolition contractor's loco to Hampstead Norris and back.  I wish I'd been there that day..... 

Ironic that a picture I chose for its dullness actually generated some interest. 

So this is Hockley Viaduct. You can park here (as I did). Right by J11 of the M3, the viaduct is visible from the motorway. 

20171202_114909.thumb.jpg.3d86b212475d81e404d1a48d9c767d77.jpg

It's about a 40 minute walk into Winchester City centre most of it on or alongside the old railway. On the way in you can see such delights as... 

20171202_114618.thumb.jpg.2c96c7953eeedbab1f7a82242a78827a.jpg

20171202_113923.thumb.jpg.4903c219c4de5033f3c2601e96ac6392.jpg

20171202_113944.thumb.jpg.af3cf158f57fe085844875b1a07fda81.jpg

20171202_112150.thumb.jpg.008f277962022f7713633affd84267cf.jpg

20171202_114139.thumb.jpg.971f37989abd6988bd0f58fc00c9f5d5.jpg

20171202_093810.thumb.jpg.8d5f4bc166fe677cea85dd9b4fe24a82.jpg

I know at least some and maybe a lot of the formation north of Winchester was used when the A34 was converted to dual carriageway. 

FFS. Currently been waiting 23 minutes and counting for the idiot who owns the Vauxhall Insignia estate to turn back up from picking their kids up from school and sod off from parking across our driveway.

It would be a terrible shame if he suddenly had five flat tyres and had to walk the 0.3 miles back to where they live...

On 2/10/2020 at 3:44 PM, Zelandeth said:

Given I can't let them run around the garden unattended at the moment because 30% of the fence is missing, took the dogs elsewhere for a run around today.

It was predictably a complete mud pit...however they enjoyed themselves immensely.

They are now filthy and stink of wet dog.

IMG_20200210_145332.thumb.jpg.d849e2f4d448133e07f0c40a5bac514b.jpg

Was about to go and see if I could salvage a couple of the fence panels from yesterday...then had to retreat from marble sized hail coming at me sideways 30 seconds after going out the door.  Sod that nonsense...

Are the saddlebags for ballast to stop them blowing away in the gales? :D

56 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Ironic that a picture I chose for its dullness actually generated some interest. 

So this is Hockley Viaduct. You can park here (as I did). Right by J11 of the M3, the viaduct is visible from the motorway. .....

I know at least some and maybe a lot of the formation north of Winchester was used when the A34 was converted to dual carriageway. 

The northern half of the route between Didcot and Newbury also lost part of the formation to A34 improvements. Jubilee Way roundabout and Hitchcock Way now sit at the Didcot East Junction end where the line to Upton used to diverge to the south, and the route of the line towards Upton & Blewbury there is now footpath 544:

26595199500_f630f272e3_z.jpg

and an industrial estate built on where the route curved to the north (extreme left of photo below), at the east end of Newbury:

Newbury East Junction, 1975 (2)

There have been a few models of DN&S stations - probably the best known is of Winchester Chesil Station and the line towards Bar End Yard, which was built in the 1980s to 4mm scale/P4 and featured in a Railscale VHS video with a suitably adenoidal commentary. The layout was donated to the Milestones Museum in Basingstoke, and housed within a sort-of-replica of Chesil station building. The Museum website makes no absolutely no mention of its existence - a bit poor given the effort put into building it.

There is YouTube video of it running, though....

....and it looks like the Museum have ruined it by running trains at breakneck speeds (real speeds were never more than about 10mph through station limits) and overlaying OO track on top of the original handbuilt 18.83 gauge. Not sure the layout's creators would have approved the donation if they knew how it was going to be "looked after".....

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

I trust there'll be a thread on that? Congrats on your anniversary.

Thanks.  I’m hoping it’ll be way too dull for a thread: half way and all is well in spite of some intermittently horrid weather.

11145BCA-82D1-4283-8E1D-877221565878.thumb.jpeg.adb106775cfe3c3e9dfd638b2541d299.jpeg

I will do a write-up on the Aerodeck at some point soon though.  For now, I’ll just observe that it’s a very pleasant place to do motorway miles.