The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Mrs the Princess Panda sprung a coolant leak on the way home yesterday. Replacement hose seems to be a Fiat only part and won't come until Wednesday so she'll need another car for Monday.

Allegro out to the rescue.

IMG_20200207_142129649.thumb.jpg.50ef0a6528336c24c0fcb9460f7bc2cb.jpg

Push the purple one out the way and steal the battery from it.

IMG_20200207_151335842_HDR.thumb.jpg.53a59ebc1c3f30ed3a64d92c66ef8b1c.jpg

Drive the green one onto the drive and wash it. The battery was a bit flat so whack it on the Woolworth charger. We'll use it a bit over the weekend to make sure it is ok.IMG_20200207_151606613.thumb.jpg.0317b15d4a6a47559b0612ead7b21105.jpg

22 hours ago, 64A60 said:

I has working Fuel Gauge. These are a sought after thing in Pre-Farina Cambridge circles but I was fortunate to be offered a whole Instrument Cluster taken out of an A50 in the 60's and stored in an attic since. The Temperature Gauge on these cars is arse about face, the needle starts at H and works its way up to N.

84245209_200913251308418_5440602762251337728_n.thumb.jpg.c5a72c1a93d19e88f21348f67c9c9de3.jpg

Reverse polarity? Was it from Positive earth car or Negative earth, or did these always have Negative earth?

Does the fuel tank fill up as you are going along?

Just taken the Legacy in to get the stereo code done and apparently theres an outstanding recall on it, so its getting booked in to get a new passenger airbag fitted. 

Didn't book it in today though, as I'm thinking I might have to investigate why its steaming up, as if theres anything thats behind the dash that needs sorting, I may as well do that at the same time whilst they're in there. 

https://youtu.be/G3OKixwUFS0

0Got the 2CV out at lunchtime to go and see my friend Harp's 1959 AZU 2CV Van.

It’s the very definition of do not paint. Sadly it does need work from the sparkly stick, but also a bonus pick from a couple of years ago with one of his other cars.

DSC07340.JPG

DSC07341.JPG

march photo9.JPG

march photo10.JPG

B705F120-C1CF-49E7-9B57-B283AA8822FA.jpeg

E128F61D-0A7F-46A7-83BA-3462CF0BE369.jpeg

Today was dry I finally managed to fit the new window mechanism to the Mx5. As it has been standing for a couple of weeks I was pleased that it started, but less pleased that my pipe lagging/gaffer tape window filler has not been watertight. My careful dismantling proved a waste of time, as I  have lost the piece of plastic that covers the one screw in the door pull (I remember putting it safe) also when putting the tools away have lost a socket (yes it's the 10mm one), it literally disappeared as I was picking things up off the floor mat. I have given up looking for it for now. I did give the car a run out with the roof down and heater on full, to try to dry it out a bit. When I got home, after an hour or so, I did think it might have been a good idea to close and lock the front door. As it doesn't look any worse than usual I'm assuming I haven't been burgled.

Set off today in the Vectra to pop and do some shopping for me and the old lady who lets me use her driveway. As I set off the rear sounded a bit louder than usual, the tyre was flat and there was small bolt in it:

20200208_162339.thumb.jpg.6db5cd672e2b8fa29bc6966d9c919a8c.jpg

So thats £30 I didn't have to spare down the drain because the tyre decided to collect the bolt. ?

16 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

Set off today in the Vectra to pop and do some shopping for me and the old lady who lets me use her driveway. As I set off the rear sounded a bit louder than usual, the tyre was flat and there was small bolt in it:

So thats £30 I didn't have to spare down the drain because the tyre decided to collect the bolt. ?

Is that the price of a tyre repair these days? The last one I got locally two years ago was £7

I also learned today that harp has sold his w126 s class 300, which was his daily driver, and pxd it for a vw golf thing. Apparently he’s tutoring golf full time now and 18mpg was eating into his income. But, he got £3300 in px for this car, and I know he paid £1600 for it 7years ago.

1 minute ago, Craig the Princess said:

Is that the price of a tyre repair these days? The last one I got locally two years ago was £7

I hope that’s the cost of a new tyre! I only seem to pick up bolts, nails and screws when the tyres are getting old. Last one ( touch wood) was 7 years ago.

18 minutes ago, richardmorris said:
21 minutes ago, Craig the Princess said:

I hope that’s the cost of a new tyre! I only seem to pick up bolts, nails and screws when the tyres are getting old. Last one ( touch wood) was 7 years ago.

£30 was the cost of a replacement tyre + fitting. I intend to get the both tyres replaced with identical tyres.

I tried a place local to me but as I had little time the chap was taking longer than I could afford so I left and found another place. The damage was too much to patch up and a replacement tyre was a better choice.

4 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Pela-pumping out the CX expansion tank. Taking feckin' ages for it all to be vacuumed out, but I can definitely see a foreign body in the bottom.

Extractor tool at the ready:

1581174750326147011207769245606.jpg

The anticipation is getting too much or was it your right training shoe you got in the expansion tank ?

27 minutes ago, brownnova said:

The Saab hit a milestone today.... 

19D38DA6-D1A2-443C-9769-212155FD2693.jpeg

Looks good for 200,000 don’t you think.., 

EBD3CDF4-06BC-4E80-9523-367B4E816E0A.jpeg

I mentioned to my mum that you were organising the car meeting next month, and had the 2cv, Mazda, Saabs and c5 and had a new baby. She said that they must be paying teachers more now than the 70s when all they could afford between them was a Dyane! I did reply that the cv was probably worth the most.

21 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I mentioned to my mum that you were organising the car meeting next month, and had the 2cv, Mazda, Saabs and c5 and had a new baby. She said that they must be paying teachers more now than the 70s when all they could afford between them was a Dyane! I did reply that the cv was probably worth the most.

2CV definitely worth the most!! 

What makes me smile is that when people meet me and see my car they assume I must be strapped for cash hence my old car...

New teachers do get paid a pittance for the rigours of the job... but it’s alright once you progress. 

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

2CV definitely worth the most!! 

What makes me smile is that when people meet me and see my car they assume I must be strapped for cash hence my old car...

New teachers do get paid a pittance for the rigours of the job... but it’s alright once you progress. 

I’ve said before I think,, my dad was a teacher for fifty years, mostly in Chester but trained in Liverpool. At the time, In the late sixties,  my mum was working as a radiographer in capenhurst doing the staff radiation  testing. My dad had an Austin A40 at the time. I’m about to meet all my dad’s colleagues again in a fortnight at my godmother’s funeral (well the ones still allive anyway). All from kingsway in Chester. Last time I saw most of them, I was still in school in the ‘80s. 

10 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Just taken the Legacy in to get the stereo code done and apparently theres an outstanding recall on it, so its getting booked in to get a new passenger airbag fitted. 

Didn't book it in today though, as I'm thinking I might have to investigate why its steaming up, as if theres anything thats behind the dash that needs sorting, I may as well do that at the same time whilst they're in there. 

https://youtu.be/G3OKixwUFS0

Think there might be another recall to check a brake hose for corrosion, so make sure that's done at the same time.

Sorry, I spent nearly 9 months trying to get it booked in and the local dealer here were utterly shit so I forgot about it.  It's the standard recall that affects 1/3rd of all cars globally, cars in hot humid climates have the airbag deployment thing corrode and instead of blowing a bag out it blows shards of metal round the cabin when it goes off.  Thankfully not being a hot climate makes it pretty much defunct.

Can't help with the steaming up, unless the cabin filter is dirty again? 

Assuming the stereo now works?

On 2/17/2019 at 7:52 PM, Skizzer said:

Meanwhile, the Audi fuel pump continues to frustrate. The pump and filter are mounted on a bracket that’s attached to the bodyshell via three odd fasteners. These look like rubber bushes with a bolt through the middle, but in fact it’s two separate bolts with big flat heads like drawing pins somehow glued to the rubber.

20E3FD3D-45CF-47ED-92F6-4FA3B29B4F19.jpeg.834c066666dff69788e7fff7de4de195.jpeg

Except of course they’ve rusted and aren’t glued to anything any more, so the bracket is mostly held on by luck, rust and flexible fuel pipes.

Trouble is, there’s no obvious way to get the remains of the bolts out. I can’t grip the flat heads to undo the nuts, I can’t weld on another head or grind a slot because there are fuel pipes all around and there’s no room to get bolt cutters in there. Maybe a tiny hand saw and a lot of patience. Or leave as is and lash up with cable ties.

Better ideas welcome.

Oh, and Autodoc are being funny about returning the shit and wrong Chinese fuel pump they ripped me off with. Yippee.

Christ, was that a year ago?

I finally got the bloody fuel pump subframe off today.

58B76BE4-788D-4504-B611-74B90EA25363.thumb.jpeg.2017385500e65250377429898e3066c4.jpeg

In multiple working sessions over the last year I tried bolt cutters, angled bolt cutters, an open-ended hacksaw and a nut splitter, all to no avail.

I also spent about £540 on a 2.5t scissor lift so I could get at it.

In the end I blocked up the fuel hoses, hung a welding mask over the fuel filter and pipes, took a brave pill and ground the nut off with a Dremel.

3C34103A-332A-4B32-85CB-F6F316103B39.thumb.jpeg.20f60e8f0e949a96db599e60a5468b67.jpeg

I now just need to clean it up, fit the new fuel pump, replace the rubber bobbin mounts and bolt it back on again.

Finally fitted the new exhaust to the van , have had the exhaust for two years and two advisories at the mot for corrosion , was going for 3 years but a baffle has broke and now it rattles like a cement mixer with two wheel nuts in it . It was easy ish to fit and the exhaust was cheap from Poland two years ago , only £80 delivered , £7 for some vht paint . The original one lasted me 12 years will have see how long this Oem " quality " copy keeps going . It probably won't matter because I live in the LEZ and it's a dirty diesel van and will have to crushed at a moments notice ! That last bit should probably go in the grumpy thread .image.thumb.jpeg.3a9b59475abf0cbec33bc050741fcb4e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.19c89f0dc05b2e5f1a0edf2ad637132f.jpeg

One year and four months with five "buyers" we finally exchanged on our house! ?

Still not got our purchase sorted, so racing ahead trying to get it finished. Got till early next month when we complete to get it done. Hoping that this big storm coming in won't do any damage to the house. Just my luck!

It's been absolutely hell of a shit experience trying to move. I know it's never that fun, but we've had it way worse than anyone else have. I'm not a religious man, but I'm praying the purchase doesn't become delayed or have problems. We're on our third attempted purchase now too. 

The other depressing part is the amount of cars I've missed out on in that time, because of it. Like @HillmanImp Triumph GT6, @Squire_Dawson MG Midget, @Sigmund Fraud Triumph Dolomite 1300 (I believe now owned by @garycox ) and of course @Cavcraft Jaguar XJS (now owned by @Zelandeth ). All of which I would love to have owned but I'm on a strict car buying halt until we got the house move sorted. 

Also the Austin 1100 had to be sold because of it being a hindrance to selling the house. Apparently a rusty, Purple/Black/Harvest Gold car on the drive isn't appealing to most types of modern house buyers! Still a bit bummed I couldn't really see that one through. 

Currently got my eye on @BeEP Austin 1800, if that doesn't sell in the meantime before we get our house purchase lined up. 

Today it's been a case of Mission pack the garage up. Not the tidiest in the world and loads of small little bits scattered everywhere. 

20200208_214551.thumb.jpg.a56ea1a51c88240f5dc28b8aaa53f7b1.jpg

7 hours ago, SiC said:

Currently got my eye on @BeEP Austin 1800, if that doesn't sell in the meantime before we get our house purchase lined up. 

It's not currently advertised anywhere (other than vaguely on here).  Still hoping my friendly welder will have time next month to get it up to MOT standard (although it's perfectly useable as is).

11 hours ago, loserone said:

Think there might be another recall to check a brake hose for corrosion, so make sure that's done at the same time.

Sorry, I spent nearly 9 months trying to get it booked in and the local dealer here were utterly shit so I forgot about it.  It's the standard recall that affects 1/3rd of all cars globally, cars in hot humid climates have the airbag deployment thing corrode and instead of blowing a bag out it blows shards of metal round the cabin when it goes off.  Thankfully not being a hot climate makes it pretty much defunct.

Can't help with the steaming up, unless the cabin filter is dirty again? 

Assuming the stereo now works?

I'll check. I assume not as I assume they'd have done that too, as I guess they'll get paid by the manufacturer for it? 

Stereo now works. Not tried a cd in it though.

Trains were fucked last night so I drove to the restaurant and left the car there so will try on the way home when I pick it up.