The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Are those Standards not Vanguards rather than Ensigns?

I think so too - I had one of those years ago (on a Y-plate for some reason).  Hard work to drive - very heavy steering and brakes, no discernible handling ability and an awkward 3-speed column shift.  Nice looking thing though.  Also almost bought a diesel one a few years ago, but then I lost my storage so couldn't take it on.

Sunday I thought I’d bought a Transit, left a deposit and arranged to collect next weekend once a bit of welding had been attended to. 

Got to go and collect the deposit back tomorrow because the welding is a bit more involved than first thought. Fair play to the seller, he’s been spot on about it all but it’s a shame as the rest of the van was solid. 

Oh well, back to scouring the classifieds...

Anyone near Wigan/ Golborne  able to collect a spring compressor set (he won’t post).....rick will pay for item and postage / I can collect.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/spring-coil-compressor-for-mercedes-benz-cars-and-many-others/1364487306?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Are those Standards not Vanguards rather than Ensigns?

Quite possible, just went off what he said. He might well have told me they were Vanguards to be fair.

My mission last weekend was to replace the cambelt, water pump and engine mounts (judder on take up of drive) on my Audi daily. Job completed without drama but I did think the alternator was noisy, one to monitor I thought. 
The ungrateful bastard decided to shit it’s alternator today, I think on the way to work as the idle speed was above 1000rpm and stop start wasn’t operating. On the way home the dash lights looked like Christmas and the power steering assistance ceased. Message on the panel stated ‘Battery not charging’ but I managed to limp it back to my storage unit. 
In other news I have an XM estate incoming..........with clutch troubles. WCPGW?

I have to report for anyone with damp interior problems that dehumidifier packs are the bollox! Inside of the car was soaked yesterday - two wet dogs, one wet me and a passengers side window left open by a moron. Two packs left in the car overnight and bone dry this morning. 1 from Halfords at £12 but huge and two from eBay for, er £12 but about half the size of the Halfords one. One is in the boot (1x small) and the boot which was also soaked because of moron is bone dry and the inside is a far more pleasant place to be without steamed up windows every time the sun shine, like this morning, but no steam.

Dave seal of approval :) 

Oooh, my Saab suspemsion is looking a bit low this morning, wonder what is causing that?

990861718_IMG_03221.thumb.JPG.79af78fb2c97f0bca014da7caabc2bea.JPG

My friend, and ex business partner called me this morning, saying he wanted rid of the workshop manuals etc that were from our workshop and he had kept, but now needed the space. These are mostly Haynes BOL but there are a fair number of factory manuals, general guises etc, mostly for older and more obscure stuff. Thinking of this place, I said I would nip up and collect them. He asked which car I was taking which should have warned me of the quantities involved......

908696935_IMG_03231.thumb.JPG.3983ad70800896f3ee2fd3313fbdf0c7.JPG

1645319626_IMG_03241.thumb.JPG.e1fdd1ff706ce3a07d6bda32b78d6a91.JPG

1645319626_IMG_03241.thumb.JPG.e1fdd1ff706ce3a07d6bda32b78d6a91.JPG

425802238_IMG_03251.thumb.JPG.da22f22dfe4ce67ec9e8ffc02617faee.JPG

425802238_IMG_03251.thumb.JPG.da22f22dfe4ce67ec9e8ffc02617faee.JPG

Yes, that is the back of the car, seats folded, loaded to window level! As a bonus I also got a load of test equipment (fuel injection, water system, a code reader, a glow plug tester etc).

A few of the manuals I will want to keep, but I will photograph and list the others when I unload them and offer them here.

51 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Whilst on the subject of condensation when it leads onto a slight smattering of mould all over the upholstery, what is the best approach to be rid of and clean up the mould, apart from a sprinkle of Unleaded and some matches ?

I use a wetvac then stick a dehumidifier in the car overnight, or if you don't have one a fan heater but leave the window cracked open, mould spores are not good for you, even antibacterial wipes will help remove it.

35 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

FTP in progress, awaiting Autoaid...

Swapped relays about in the Zafira, ran fine, wondered if problem was down to damp in the fuse box so thought I'd pop to a scrap yard and pick up a fuse box cover that the clips weren't bost on. Stopped at Tesco to get some cash and now wont restart.. sigh....

Update - A lift home...

20200129_160851.jpg

The two wheeled Iv*co continues to try and bankrupt me. The crank oil seal is leaking, it needs new rings, the engine casing machining or welding, the crank is slightly off kilter, and a few other bits besides. They also found this...

No photo description available.

Which they say explains why trying different carbs hadn't made any difference. Given that it already had what they think was a car spark plug cross threaded into the engine, it looks like the bloke I bought it off perhaps isn't the brightest. 

Handed my notice in at work today. Nine years working in social housing, of which seven were spent managing customer complaints, has finally caught up with me to the point I just need to exit the job stage right as fast as possible. To be fair, it's something I should probably have done three or four months ago, but after much contemplation and navel-gazing, I decided at the weekend that I should just do it. 

My boss was totally ace, and she knows me better than I know myself most of the time, and she'd already guessed this was coming, she just didn't know when. She sent a lovely email to key people in the business telling them I was offski, and even let me scarper before she sent it, so I wouldn't get bombarded. A sneaky peek on my work email account reveals even the CEO sent me a personal message.

I do have some cash monies to tide me over for a bit (sorry to rub it in for those Shiters who learned about their respective redundancies recently :( ) but the impetus to buy a van and start couriering is now strong - already declared  sole trader status with HMRC and registered for VAT, so I can get registered on some trade sites and get in with some local indies. Oh, need to buy a van first of course.... 

Some of my fleet will likely need to move on (I did an income and expenditure analysis as part of my business plan, and the amount going out for shite is ridiculous), with, very regretfully, the Accord Coupe and, the 820 the two most likely to leave, so these will be advertised here in good time of course. The 420/620 and Streetwise will definitely be staying until I'm at the stage of eating gruel for tea. The 214 can burn in hell (if there's any arsonists about it's garage 12, the one with the white door).

Slightly battered, slightly singed and quite damp but I have lived through another offshore survival refresher. Now they have added diving equipment (well a compressed air bottle) and there are also seven trips in the helicopter simulater, including two in washing machine mode. Was only 3 when I first did it!

On my first survival, 32 years ago, there was an "older gentleman" (about 60) on the course and I felt sorry for him. Today, there was 4 people on the course, 3 under 30 and me! I hope they felt sorry for me as I am now that "older gentleman"

Still, that is me ticketed up for another 4 years.

On 1/28/2020 at 8:55 PM, richardmorris said:

Anyone near Wigan/ Golborne  able to collect a spring compressor set (he won’t post).....rick will pay for item and postage / I can collect.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/spring-coil-compressor-for-mercedes-benz-cars-and-many-others/1364487306?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

That particular set is £39.50 brand new on eBay with free delivery

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282526265363

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

Slightly battered, slightly singed and quite damp but I have lived through another offshore survival refresher. Now they have added diving equipment (well a compressed air bottle) and there are also seven trips in the helicopter simulater, including two in washing machine mode. Was only 3 when I first did it!

On my first survival, 32 years ago, there was an "older gentleman" (about 60) on the course and I felt sorry for him. Today, there was 4 people on the course, 3 under 30 and me! I hope they felt sorry for me as I am now that "older gentleman"

Still, that is me ticketed up for another 4 years.

@Mrs6C has done hers for when she worked in the Gulf of Mexico on a seismic survey vessel.