The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 hours ago, bramz7 said:

Not sure what to do with the 760 Turbo. For some reason I've had little to no interest. Even the Facebook lot have avoided it. I don't think it's priced unfairly, it seems to be largely fault free and drives lovely. I've been offered a swap for a tidy 318IS and to be fair, that's not a bad offer. 

But I also find myself beginning to like how it drives. I've never had a car so big yet easy to park. The turbo noise is addictive too, plus it can be driven ultra sedately in supreme comfort. 

But then there is also a 940 TD on eBay which appeals to my ancient diesel lusting more than anything I've seen recently. The economy on the 760 (I didn't buy it thinking it would be good) is pretty abysmal. 

Bah. Old cars. 

Sounds like my dream chod!

6 cylinder turbo barge :D If only I had spare cash/space.

Is it saloon or estate?

After a weekend of being messed about by 3 different people whom initially seemed very keen, but whom subsequently went silent when the reality of my address and a time to come and view landed with them, I have decided to keep the Clio.

One guy employed a bit of high pressure tactics,  despite me ignoring his first message of "£less than the asking price but not a derisory amount". He continued to pester me, before saying he would pay the full asking price (without seeing it)because it "was for his son". His profile indicated that he had bought and sold about 7 or 8 'low cost big liability cars' during 2019, together with some other classically chavvy posts. Bottom line I didn't want him coming to my house and ultimately, I didn't want to sell the car.

Initially I will remove the arch liners and make an attempt at slowing the rust that is there. Come the MOT in July I will have my tame tester weld up or properly eradicate any rot which is in a critical area. I will attend to the rest by means as yet unknown. I am considering investing in some welding equipment but I'll have to weigh up the cost of the associated paraphernalia.

Happy to still have the wee rocket though.

42 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

I thought the 760 was a 6 and the 740 was a 4?

Not so much into auto but still, yum tasty car

760 saloons were launched 1982Y V6 2.8i 156 bhp, a year later a 2.3 4 cylinder turbo joined the line up with 180 bhp and a six cylinder intercooled turbo diesel.

Estates were launched late 1985.

This is a facelift car done in Oct 1987 for the 1988 model year, the front was smoothed off, new dash, V6 was much improved in smoothness and 170 bhp instead of the asthmatic 156 bhp. Facelift Saloon 760s got independent rear suspension and larger fuel tanks.

The only 740 to get six cylinders was the diesel, same VAG engine as the 760 but no intercooler so a bit lower power.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 5:11 PM, holbeck said:

C15 MOT fail.

Merde!

Quite a long list, but mostly do-able.

The worst of it is corrosion to seat belt mounting and rear subframe mount. The garage are  getting me an estimate from their sub-contract welder.

Ho hum.

Just got the estimate for the C15, and its not good news.

The Garage want over £600 for the MOT work, the majority of that is welding.

I want it to live, but I'm struggling with putting that amount of cash into it.

Two days MOT left so if anybody wanted to make me an offer, it could be available as a project.

2 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

The welding doesn't seem too bad from it's fail, there are a lot of other jobs there that are hoovering up the labour.

It deserves to live again, it hadn't had too hard a life when I had it before.

Agreed. I'm going to fetch it back to mine and take stock.

We've been on the lookout for good quality bedroom furniture to match what we've got.  Going new is prohibitively expensive for what we want, so we've been keeping an eye out locally and landed ourselves a smart old Herbert Cribbs (Edit: Herbert E Gibbs, I was misreading it) chest of drawers today for £40.  I'm guessing it's late 40s or early 50s, it's nicely built with dovetail joints on the drawers and all of the handles are present.  The only thing against it really is the finish is quite dark and the top could do with refinishing so now I've finished the other furniture projects it looks like this is my new one to get on with.

202001-05.thumb.jpg.98c66682d54980852fbdfa85567443ff.jpg

202001-01.thumb.jpg.fe89ca8f3a029c4465a43f4a73aafc0b.jpg

A matching wardrobe would be neat, as you can just see in one of the photos, the wardrobe is currently a temporary rail.  The plan is simply to strip the old finish off the chest of drawers and refinish it, hopefully nearer to a more natural oak sort of colour.  The most interesting bit about it for me was the drawer lining paper, some of which was a couple of old paper shopping bags from some time ago.

202001-07.thumb.jpg.30600b9f3c2553596511d3bdf6a3a5f4.jpg

202001-08.thumb.jpg.7ab14fb98fc9bd94b851545763db42ef.jpg

202001-09.thumb.jpg.31f6b1b30b14c3a13218020eac0d4b63.jpg

If we've got any bag collectors (you never know), you're welcome to these, just send me a PM and I'll get them in the post for you free of charge.

This was today's viewing. A mate spotted it doing a parcel delivery and put me in touch with the owner. It was running a year ago he said, and shouldn't take much to go again.  Think it's going to be too much money for me, I just assumed it was some sort of £250 type thing, but they appear to get a decent price.

Sadly, it's not the 2WD one (they must be a great laugh) but it's still pretty class.

IMG_20200127_125851.thumb.jpg.90839c841e175f17df66741856a4fdb2.jpg

IMG_20200127_125907.thumb.jpg.e0381619d8109979e81081c6224a3567.jpg

Dnepr K650 flat twin, 1969 iirc. If I don't end up with it I'll get a firm price from the owner if anyone's interested.

6 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

760 saloons were launched 1982Y V6 2.8i 156 bhp, a year later a 2.3 4 cylinder turbo joined the line up with 180 bhp and a six cylinder intercooled turbo diesel.

Estates were launched late 1985.

This is a facelift car done in Oct 1987 for the 1988 model year, the front was smoothed off, new dash, V6 was much improved in smoothness and 170 bhp instead of the asthmatic 156 bhp. Facelift Saloon 760s got independent rear suspension and larger fuel tanks.

The only 740 to get six cylinders was the diesel, same VAG engine as the 760 but no intercooler so a bit lower power.

It's never simple is it?

Cheers though, it's nice to know what the line-up is.

3 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I've just been in my first car with heated seats (Volvo XC60). I'm pleased to say they seem as pointless (and even uncomfortable) as I've always thought they were. 

They are an acquired taste but I like heated seats, they make more sense with leather as that can be proper chilly of a winter morning, the ones in the Lexus almost get too hot on the highest setting.

5 hours ago, vulgalour said:

We've been on the lookout for good quality bedroom furniture to match what we've got.  Going new is prohibitively expensive for what we want, so we've been keeping an eye out locally and landed ourselves a smart old Herbert Cribbs chest of drawers today for £40.  I'm guessing it's late 40s or early 50s, it's nicely built with dovetail joints on the drawers and all of the handles are present.  The only thing against it really is the finish is quite dark and the top could do with refinishing so now I've finished the other furniture projects it looks like this is my new one to get on with.

Late 40s would likely be Utility marked.

40 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

They are an acquired taste but I like heated seats, they make more sense with leather as that can be proper chilly of a winter morning, the ones in the Lexus almost get too hot on the highest setting.

Yes, the leather, that's another bugbear of mine (maybe I should have put this in the grump thread!) Maybe for a few years around the 70s and 80s decent leather was the preserve of prestige cars. Before that it was an everyday material as vinyl hadn't been developed and most cloth wasn't hardy enough. After that cloth material had developed and why would you have slippery shiny leather when you could have a nice velour like I have in my Felicia. But then somebody decided it was upmarket and all of a sudden everyone wants it. We even have it on some of the buses round here. It's awful. You keep sliding down and having to push yourself up again. This is on the First buses, they also have fake wood flooring, they look ridiculous and I almost always use the competing Blue Star (Go Ahead group) buses with their nice blue velour seats. 

Maybe on a Rolls you get proper sumptuous leather but on most cars it's that grey shiny stuff. Get velour, it's already warm, you don't need to heat it. 

1 hour ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Definitely - heated seats are a major bonus with leather at this time of year.

In fact I actually tried out the rear seat heaters in the Omega for the first time this afternoon, and I'm pleased to report that they work fine, although they take rather longer to get going than the fronts.

1 hour ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

I've never had an issue in the cold with my leather seats, it warms up in seconds. Equally in the hot, it cools in seconds. I've been in cars with heated seats (never owned one) and I often think I'm wetting myself when it's turned on.

22 hours ago, Tim_E said:

To the very nice guy in the 06 Honda Civic in the A45 Small Heath bypass (Birmingham) Applegreen brand petrol station who decided to see if I was ok when fiddling under the bonnet in my VW Polo loaded with wife and two kids, thanks.

Even though it turned out I was only fiddling with trying to get a bulb out, thanks for the consideration. And for giving me the correct new bulb you happened to have on you, thanks very much.

Kindness and thoughts very much appreciated!

thats a nice thing to read, every now and again, there is something that makes you think that there are still some good folks left in the world.

1 hour ago, Tim_E said:

I've never had an issue in the cold with my leather seats, it warms up in seconds. Equally in the hot, it cools in seconds. I've been in cars with heated seats (never owned one) and I often think I'm wetting myself when it's turned on.

I thought that I'd shat my pants, well it was the day after an ale festival over indulgence. I did have a quick check at the earliest opportunity ???

All clear! 

Seat turned off. 

But windows open ??