The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 hours ago, BeEP said:

/\ What Andylggs said /\  Chances of an unknown car needing zero spending on it is low, although it can happen.  If your 740 can be fully sorted for less than the purchase price of the 940 then fixing it would definitely get my vote as well.

In the cold light of day this does seem to be the sensible option.. I would like to try a Turbo before they're all raced/too expensive though 

Picked up the ex-Bramz Rover 45 from BeEP's this afternoon.  It drove back fine, with no noises from the transmission that would signal imminent doom.  The heated seats are also superb.  It is, however, slow as f*ck so a new MAF will be on its way in short order. 

The nearside doors now open OK but the front outer handle is going to need some attention as it's rather loose and needs holding in place in order to open the door.  Also the rear demister doesn't seem to be working.  Those are the only issues I have found so far which need immediate attention though. 

It's interesting to compare this Project Drive car with earlier versions I've owned.  The quality of some of the interior bits is dreadful, and the wood* on the dash is almost Elantra levels of bad.  It's also quite noisy - I think Project Drive got rid of a lot of the soundproofing.  It handles really well though, the steering is quite quick and nicely weighted, and I think once the engine is back up to full power it should be quite a decent drive. 

DSC_0851.thumb.JPG.b49bfc1399b9500ab1adab2aa787fd04.JPG

Thanks to @bramz7 for delivering it to Norfolk and to @BeEP for storing it and picking me up from the bus station.  And for the tour of the impressive selection of BL tat. 

Kitchen is getting there nicely now.  Just got to flat back the cupboards and get some lacquer on them, for which I need it to stop raining for at least one day so I can do the whole lot in one go.  There's a bit of paint on some of the carcasses, nothing too arduous to deal with, and then we can move on to stripping the various different wallpapers and bits of tiles off the walls to get back to a nice blank canvas.

20200126-Kitchen04.thumb.jpg.9d0dee1b3c475f0db08e789513abbee8.jpg

The other comedy thing in the kitchen is the cooker switch arrangement.  On one of the walls is a new cooker switch box with trunking running up to the ceiling.  This trunking covers the wire that runs into the attic to join the wiring from the old switch. To make use of the old switch, previous owners have cut a hole in the backboard of the cupboard that obscures it and then run a plug and wire to a surface mount plug socket just below the cupboard.  Brilliant!  The new socket is just a bit too high to be useful, which is just what you want.  Underneath it is, we assume, the old gas main for the cooker and of course they've left a row of random tiles on the wall.  You have to turn the cooker switch on in this cupboard for the other cooker switch to work as a switch too, which is genius.

20200126-Kitchen03.thumb.jpg.8a419ead405fb6f2121bd09e4f6c2d43.jpg

1 hour ago, skattrd said:

Have you fitted a ronbox yet @wuvvum ?
ROD-2?

Sadly these later Euro 3 L-serieses aren't compatible with the Ronbox, as they have a different injector pump setup.  The way to tune these is to fit the injectors from a Euro 2 car (which open at a lower pressure so inject more fuel when coupled to the higher-pressure Euro 3 pump), wind the boost up to 19psi and ideally get a remap as well.  So a bit more involved than the earlier cars.

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

That is MINTY fresh. Great work.

How many collections is it so far this year, Wuv? It feels like one a weekend atm... 

It is the fourth this year, although one of those wasn't actually mine...

7 hours ago, Amishtat said:

In the cold light of day this does seem to be the sensible option.. I would like to try a Turbo before they're all raced/too expensive though 

both are dream chod for me, especially the turbos, or the 3.0 engined ones. But also any old 740 or 940. In fact I just saw a 940 saloon today in the dark streaking across my path on a roundabout.

21 hours ago, Amishtat said:

So.. A conundrum.. Do I spend seven or eight hundred putting right all that's wrong with the 740 or try a cheeky bid on an apparently nice local 940 turbo for a little more? Genuine question, I can't make a decision 

In the land of no consequences, or at least unlimited finance and drive space, do both.

To the very nice guy in the 06 Honda Civic in the A45 Small Heath bypass (Birmingham) Applegreen brand petrol station who decided to see if I was ok when fiddling under the bonnet in my VW Polo loaded with wife and two kids, thanks.

Even though it turned out I was only fiddling with trying to get a bulb out, thanks for the consideration. And for giving me the correct new bulb you happened to have on you, thanks very much.

Kindness and thoughts very much appreciated!

Not sure what to do with the 760 Turbo. For some reason I've had little to no interest. Even the Facebook lot have avoided it. I don't think it's priced unfairly, it seems to be largely fault free and drives lovely. I've been offered a swap for a tidy 318IS and to be fair, that's not a bad offer. 

But I also find myself beginning to like how it drives. I've never had a car so big yet easy to park. The turbo noise is addictive too, plus it can be driven ultra sedately in supreme comfort. 

But then there is also a 940 TD on eBay which appeals to my ancient diesel lusting more than anything I've seen recently. The economy on the 760 (I didn't buy it thinking it would be good) is pretty abysmal. 

Bah. Old cars. 

1 hour ago, Tim_E said:

To the very nice guy in the 06 Honda Civic in the A45 Small Heath bypass (Birmingham) Applegreen brand petrol station who decided to see if I was ok when fiddling under the bonnet in my VW Polo loaded with wife and two kids, thanks.

Even though it turned out I was only fiddling with trying to get a bulb out, thanks for the consideration. And for giving me the correct new bulb you happened to have on you, thanks very much.

that is quite astounding for Small Heath!

2 hours ago, Tim_E said:

Last week I stopped at Kinross Services, saw a guy in a Vauxhall Zafira with the bonnet up looking concerned, stopped and asked if he was ok. Reply - "Ah aye I'm fine pal, this is just a pile of pure unadulterated shite and it's overheating, nae bother though". Never let it be said that the Scots beat around the bush!

9 hours ago, bramz7 said:

Not sure what to do with the 760 Turbo. For some reason I've had little to no interest. Even the Facebook lot have avoided it. I don't think it's priced unfairly, it seems to be largely fault free and drives lovely. I've been offered a swap for a tidy 318IS and to be fair, that's not a bad offer. 

But I also find myself beginning to like how it drives. I've never had a car so big yet easy to park. The turbo noise is addictive too, plus it can be driven ultra sedately in supreme comfort. 

But then there is also a 940 TD on eBay which appeals to my ancient diesel lusting more than anything I've seen recently. The economy on the 760 (I didn't buy it thinking it would be good) is pretty abysmal. 

Bah. Old cars. 

Sounds like my dream chod!

6 cylinder turbo barge :D If only I had spare cash/space.

Is it saloon or estate?

After a weekend of being messed about by 3 different people whom initially seemed very keen, but whom subsequently went silent when the reality of my address and a time to come and view landed with them, I have decided to keep the Clio.

One guy employed a bit of high pressure tactics,  despite me ignoring his first message of "£less than the asking price but not a derisory amount". He continued to pester me, before saying he would pay the full asking price (without seeing it)because it "was for his son". His profile indicated that he had bought and sold about 7 or 8 'low cost big liability cars' during 2019, together with some other classically chavvy posts. Bottom line I didn't want him coming to my house and ultimately, I didn't want to sell the car.

Initially I will remove the arch liners and make an attempt at slowing the rust that is there. Come the MOT in July I will have my tame tester weld up or properly eradicate any rot which is in a critical area. I will attend to the rest by means as yet unknown. I am considering investing in some welding equipment but I'll have to weigh up the cost of the associated paraphernalia.

Happy to still have the wee rocket though.

42 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

I thought the 760 was a 6 and the 740 was a 4?

Not so much into auto but still, yum tasty car

760 saloons were launched 1982Y V6 2.8i 156 bhp, a year later a 2.3 4 cylinder turbo joined the line up with 180 bhp and a six cylinder intercooled turbo diesel.

Estates were launched late 1985.

This is a facelift car done in Oct 1987 for the 1988 model year, the front was smoothed off, new dash, V6 was much improved in smoothness and 170 bhp instead of the asthmatic 156 bhp. Facelift Saloon 760s got independent rear suspension and larger fuel tanks.

The only 740 to get six cylinders was the diesel, same VAG engine as the 760 but no intercooler so a bit lower power.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 5:11 PM, holbeck said:

C15 MOT fail.

Merde!

Quite a long list, but mostly do-able.

The worst of it is corrosion to seat belt mounting and rear subframe mount. The garage are  getting me an estimate from their sub-contract welder.

Ho hum.

Just got the estimate for the C15, and its not good news.

The Garage want over £600 for the MOT work, the majority of that is welding.

I want it to live, but I'm struggling with putting that amount of cash into it.

Two days MOT left so if anybody wanted to make me an offer, it could be available as a project.