The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I quite like these number plates being advertised on Facebook. 

https://hdplates.com/collections/number-plates/products/4d-laser-cut-acrylic-front-back

Question is, if I put them on the Legacy which needs a new front plate really, will it look fucking stupid. 

Yes

https://m.facebook.com/GMPCityCentre/photos/a.309557355825078/2728606970586759/?type=3

I suppose the usual advise of being careful of where you meet up if suspicious is needed.  But robbed at gunpoint? Bloody Oldham... 

Text for those not on Faceache 

"Police are asking members of the public to remain vigilant after a number of armed robberies in Greater Manchester.

A number of victims have been targeted through false car advertisements on the online auction website Ebay. Between Tuesday 19 November 2019 and Wednesday 22 January 2020, police received 10 reports of armed robberies across Manchester and Oldham.

Having reviewed several lines of enquiry, detectives are now treating the incidents as linked and are investigating a further six incidents which have been reported as suspicious circumstances.

On most occasions, offenders falsely advertised a car on Ebay and organised to meet the buyers at a given location for the car sale. On arrival, the potential buyers were threatened with weapons, including with a gun, a hammer and machetes and offenders fled with a large quantity of the victim’s cash.

On one occasion, a victim and his girlfriend arrived to buy the advertised car. Two men – one of which was wielding a gun –approached the victims and held the weapon to the woman’s head as they stole a large quantity of cash from the victim. 

On another occasion, a victim arrived to buy the advertised car. On arrival, two men threw a vehicle jack through the passenger window of the victim’s car, smashing the window and hitting the victim in the face. The offenders attempted to assault the victim and steal his bag, but the victim managed to escape and no money was stolen.

On a third occasion, a victim arrived to buy the advertised car. The offenders – who were wearing balaclavas and wielding machetes – approached the victim and threatened him with the weapons before stealing a large quantity of cash.

No arrests have been made and enquiries are ongoing.

Detective Sergeant Kat McKeown, of GMP’s City of Manchester division, said: “These offenders are targeting innocent members of the public via the internet and have no compassion at all for their victims who they have subjected to a number of terrifying ordeals. 

“They are devious and ruthless and need to be caught. For this reason, we have a dedicated team of detectives working around the clock to identify those responsible. Though, I would like to take this opportunity to remind people to say alert and vigilant and report anything suspicious to police immediately."

Anyone with information should call police on 0161 856 4409, quoting 1926 of 21/01/2020. Reports can be made anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

On 1/21/2020 at 7:14 PM, SiC said:

Have you not opened the bonnet yet? You'll change that opinion if you have to do any work in there!

It's not too difficult to remove the plastics.The difficult thing is to replace headlight bulbs,the whole bumper has to come off,and the bulb fixings in the lights are rather flimsy.The electric power steering column can go wrong,and the fuse/relay box also. Everything else is Clio and fairly durable.

1 hour ago, Spurious said:

Jeezus, that's a scary scam. (Adds Oldham to list of places never to buy a car from, qv Wakefield, Bradford)

The only ambush you may experience during a sale by another Shiter would be 'can I interest you in this fucked Corsa as well, 100 2nite m8' ? Especially if they live in Chester.

Oil change on the Audi tonight.

Hopefully the thinner 5w40 and recommended Mann filter with the anti-drainback valve will improve oil circulation to the chain tensioner at the back of the engine on a cold start. I went for Fuchs Titan as that's what I use for the Clio.

20200122_191608.thumb.jpg.70538ed942bfd2de3a06b03613ca8023.jpg

20200122_192107.thumb.jpg.7a4c354f34422f7ea3379f0e17fe1832.jpg

Not overly concerned as it runs quiet after a few seconds but every little helps and all that.

MOT booked for 4th Feb......

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

It's an Excellence as well - about the rarest of the lot, most of them snapped in half years ago.

In the photo above, you can just about see that the window frame verticals of the front and rear doors are not quite parallel to each other. Is the body flexing already?

8 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

In the photo above, you can just about see that the window frame verticals of the front and rear doors are not quite parallel to each other. Is the body flexing already?

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was sagging, even before I read Wuvvum's comment!

I went to check my tyre pressures yesterday after the new tyres had had a chance to settle in and made a few corrections to level them all out to what I like (34 front, 32 rear) and as i was walking back from the petrol station shop I suddenly thought I ought to check the spare too.

Just as well i did! it was inflated to a whopping 9psi. Glad i discovered and corrected that now and not while changing a flat tyre in the dark & pissing rain on the side of the M25 at 8pm. its also worn down to the 3mm markers, suggesting its been used in anger for a while in the past. its a full size steel so no reason not to I suppose. anyway, glad thats done.

After a couple of days of hard work, we've got the driveway sorted out.  Doesn't look like we've done anything at all now it's done, looks like it's always been like this, and that's just fine.

202001-17.thumb.jpg.870480bfdab450def52295e7f31dd86a.jpg

202001-18.thumb.jpg.2c024ba56f0ae2ffabec7c29c1baea2c.jpg

202001-20.thumb.jpg.f4a13f744a80ce766d01a2f687c9e510.jpg

202001-21.thumb.jpg.991b41ab3201f239a9d5108a137b6c94.jpg

Ordinarily, you'd just get someone out to redo the lot in one go of course, and we'll likely do that in the future.  Thing is, this job cost us the sum total of nothing bar a bit of elbow grease and back ache, since all the materials we needed were dotted around the property in places we didn't want them and now we have the benefit of an area to park that isn't edged in mud.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:38 PM, LightBulbFun said:

Had to do a double take there!

you were very close to where I live LOL

those are the Morris minors I have talked about in my thread (cc @mrbenn  :) )  , and I remember spotting that pickup back in 2015 or so, I found it most interesting that it was a US truck but RHD :) (somewhere I might have a crappy photo I took of it back then)

(although I dont recall the blue moggie living so close to the green traveller maybe there are more moggies around here then I realise!)

Thanks for that, Dez. Looks like chod central round there!

Today didn't start too well, run out of diesel in rush hour 10 yds off a roundabout, then battery went flat, managed to get mi dad's car next to it with jump leads, couldn't get it started. Had to go buy a battery from local motor factors, realised I couldn't pay for it as my new card only came day before and I didn't have pin number so it was declined. Then no tools to fit it. Luckily they know me and lent me tools and I can pay for it when pin comes. Moral of story fix the known dodgy fuel gauge, and don't get drunk and loose your wallet and have to cancel all your cards.