The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Pottered about on the cars tonight.

First I manhandled this exhaust heatshield off the Clio:

20200121_194247.thumb.jpg.7c708c74a2009167555433c6fad5f0fc.jpg

The hole is where the after-cat sensor goes. I also cleaned up the chewed jacking points and will hit them with some paint again ince they dry out. I might lash on some dinitrol first.

Next, I saw to the non-working rear washer jet on the Mini. The roads were filthy today and my wife was struggling to see out of the back window.

A quick clean and adjust with a pin saw it skoosh once more. 

I had wondered why the back wiper seemed to be out of alignment and hitting the window frame at the bottom.

20200121_200636.thumb.jpg.1989640406f37578aba5a152c1e8f80c.jpg

Unfortunately it has cracked around the spindle and slupped round a bit so new wiper required.

It has also started smoking again when pulling away. At least that isn't a new problem!

2 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Spotted at a customer’s place today.

Is it even possible to drive one of these? Surely the first corner has you at 45 degrees and wedged?! 

A4EA651C-0969-477C-9CDF-CF1C7D345293.thumb.jpeg.1c50f0dd378646c92684170036bc35a2.jpeg

Apparently so.??

62147515-B140-42C3-B91B-165528E82387.jpeg.318c2303491ee4194f26b228bc7e7f01.jpeg

That must be a right laugh at the slalom entrance to a supermarket (!)

Took the polo for an MOT today. It let me down big time, although i don't agree with some..

Date tested22 January 2020

FAIL

View test certificate

Mileage70,535 miles

MOT test number9103 1367 6187

Test location

View test location

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

Nearside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (5.2.3 (e))  its the NsFront its low on inside but he said itd be ok

Parking brake efficiency less than 50% of the required value (1.4.2 (a) (ii))garage is on a hill thats like a mountain and it holds fine, even in neutral.

Repair immediately (major defects):

Parking brake lever has excessive movement indicating incorrect adjustment (1.1.6 (c))they do pull up abit higher than 'modern' cars, but its the same as the other 6 of them ive had

Central Rear Seat belt missing (7.1.2 (a)) it isn't. Unless someones nicked it in the time i dropped it off

Nearside Front Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect (4.1.2 (c)) had new bulbs for mot

Offside Front Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect (4.1.2 (c)) had new bulbs for mot

Central Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))had a brand new one, just needed clamp adjustment, its silent now

Nearside Front Body component corroded and likely to cause injury (6.2.1 (a) (i))bottom of wing is rusty, been like it for 3 years did have ductape over it.

Nearside Rear Wheel bearing has excessive play (5.1.3 (a) (i))

Offside Rear Wheel bearing has excessive play (5.1.3 (a) (i))

Nearside Rear Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))been standing for 4 weeks

Offside Rear Parking brake inoperative on one side (1.4.1 (a))

Exhaust Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (8.2.1.2 (c))because of exhaust blow probably or because its sat for 4 weeks and frosty today

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

Nearside Rear Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i)) is an advisory on my app, but has had new ones and they work, i checked all lights before i dropped it off

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Central Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))

Looks like its off to be bean cans then. Oh well 20 months from a £100 car isn't too bad.

IMG_20200121_182301_992.jpg

4 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

Sounds a very harsh MoT, worth getting a second opinion from a more 'old car friendly' place?

Seconded, although even if failures are fair it's all pretty trivial stuff other than potentially needing new rear wheel bearings (assuming lambda is down to exhaust blow).  Maybe ask them to re-check the emissions now the clamp's been tightened, and if ok have a go at sorting the rest?

Yes had a chat with the garage, they get it motd at another garage. He agrees, the seat belt was tucked down the seat, the corrosion is the bottom of the wing, they took the tape off, he said hel put some back on and tell them to leave it,or fill it.  the handbrake and brakes and possibly the wheel bearings are due to it sitting for 4 weeks (and i stupidly left the handbrake on) so hell grease them up but at worse it needs a handbrake cable and bearings. The bulbs. He said seem fine if at worse hell put new bulbs in, and not charge me. The exhaust leak he thinks it needs some "gloop" round the join.  Lambda is because of exhaust blow or it needs warming up.

Tyre, i said ill get a part worn, he doesn't want to get involved in that.

So yeah after having a decent chat he thinks most if not all of it he can do without new parts.

And i've given the go ahead to do it. As for some reason i just can't scrap the thing. I can see why the eldery lady cried when i bought it, it's like some diesase you can't get rid of.

56 minutes ago, Dannyk said:

Yes had a chat with the garage, they get it motd at another garage. He agrees, the seat belt was tucked down the seat, the corrosion is the bottom of the wing, they took the tape off, he said hel put some back on and tell them to leave it,or fill it.  the handbrake and brakes and possibly the wheel bearings are due to it sitting for 4 weeks (and i stupidly left the handbrake on) so hell grease them up but at worse it needs a handbrake cable and bearings. The bulbs. He said seem fine if at worse hell put new bulbs in, and not charge me. The exhaust leak he thinks it needs some "gloop" round the join.  Lambda is because of exhaust blow or it needs warming up.

Tyre, i said ill get a part worn, he doesn't want to get involved in that.

So yeah after having a decent chat he thinks most if not all of it he can do without new parts.

And i've given the go ahead to do it. As for some reason i just can't scrap the thing. I can see why the eldery lady cried when i bought it, it's like some diesase you can't get rid of.

That looks like a tyre, some gaffa tape and an Italian tune up enroute to a completely different and more reasonable garage.

Glad you have saved, I would have too.

5 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Spotted at a customer’s place today.

Is it even possible to drive one of these? Surely the first corner has you at 45 degrees and wedged?! 

A4EA651C-0969-477C-9CDF-CF1C7D345293.thumb.jpeg.1c50f0dd378646c92684170036bc35a2.jpeg

5 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Apparently so.??

62147515-B140-42C3-B91B-165528E82387.jpeg.318c2303491ee4194f26b228bc7e7f01.jpeg

That must be a right laugh at the slalom entrance to a supermarket (!)

It's the overhang at the back I'd be worried about - I'd be guaranteed to take out someone's garden wall with it.  That poor Panda on the back must get yanked around all over the place on tight corners.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

That looks like a tyre, some gaffa tape and an Italian tune up enroute to a completely different and more reasonable garage.

Glad you have saved, I would have too.

Yeah all easy now ive had it explained, im letting the garage do it though so they can't say i havn't done it good enough or whatever. Oh well, it's only another 17 years and it won't need one.?