The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Front speakers in the Jag sound absolutely bloody awful. Let's find out why.

Hmm...Where do I start with this?

IMG_20200119_161137.thumb.jpg.dff219e8605afb5bade147b72f68e9b8.jpg

Speaker not actually screwed to anything aside from floppy doorcard which they busted all the clips on when they fitted it.

Speaker cone actually touching the door card around the cutout for the old speaker.

Speaker utterly knackered because they didn't cover the back of it so it was full of water.

Why do I smell a Halfords installation here...

Oh yeah, when I went to the park, it was a tad busy - it always is whenever the sun makes an appearance, loads of gimmers sat in their cars with their flasks and cheese and pickle sarnies wrapped in greaseproof paper, why not get out of the car you twats and get some fresh air? Oh yes, it's cold... anyway, a guy in a blue Suzuki Swift is reversing out which is tres handy I thinks, so I left yards and yards of room behind him and waited patiently. He then drove it into the car parked alongside him!

Cue one old codger getting out of the silver Honda and a bloke so old he must have known Methusala getting out of the Suzuki and much ranting and raving. Forunately, someone else left so I parked, let the dogs out and was busily picking up the first of Chesters many poops when the old, OLD boy drove past all the windows up and he was still having a mammoth rant/argument with the other bloke even though the other bloke was still stood by his car inspecting the damage... there was no one else in the car either. I think he was arguing with the voices in his head.

I'd say it was amusing but that is to understate the point, it was hilarious! The combined ages of these two old guys must have been 190 years young and I genuinely thought they were going to have a punch up! As he drove past, I noticed he had a half chewed portion of cheese and pickle sarny sliding down his cardi...

Further to my post in Wednesday, my 172 now has a new subframe, bottom arms and a lower engine steady as well. A grand job done by our dome's friend Stuart with the former also venturing up on Saturday night and chipping in with assistance. Apparently Cooper the spaniel was unimpressed!

Photos are from dome, straight to my living room.

IMG-20200118-WA0019.thumb.jpg.c3b2149a1c5d80cfba196a1b824f6e92.jpg

IMG-20200118-WA0025.thumb.jpg.294a323874aa56704ba9df82edb6e2f9.jpg

IMG-20200118-WA0024.thumb.jpg.6bc163f90aa32f7cda4e558b58369633.jpg

Unsurprisingly the old subframe was howling.

IMG-20200118-WA0026.thumb.jpg.dba2a58fc7756ef8899e7f5aca6e2520.jpg

IMG-20200118-WA0028.thumb.jpg.5f3318f313657ddbbfaf69403ce90228.jpg

IMG-20200118-WA0027.thumb.jpg.c07f2a2c62541d2a7eb253d80d42873c.jpg

Unfortunately the rest of the structure of the car at the front is showing it's age as well somewhat although nothing out of the ordinary for a near 20 year old car. Power steering lines are also corroded although still fluid-tight.

After being advised of this on Saturday evening, I slept* on it (*lay awake all night anxiously mulling it over) and decided to just continue to drive it. Life is too short to worry what will happen next, car wise. 

It drove home much better than before with no rattling bushes which helped with this decision.

The car thanked me for my perseverance by trying and partially failing to jettison it's middle exhaust heatshield which now clangs furiously at idle. Out with the hacksaw tomorrow night!

Thanks to dome also for a lift up to the farm today and a run in his Audi S4. "Its quite the way to travel the country" he said, couldn't agree more!

Audi door seal continues to leak as the so called rubber restorer had no effect. I've ordered some red rubber grease to fill the tiny gap that is letting in the drops. Should work I reckon!

Morning all, 

Ex-roffle, ex Uncle-Fester Mazda 323 in for it's first MOT with us this morning...  fingers crossed.  Didn't need anything that I could see, so pretty hopeful.  Funny how much we've all grown to love this wee thing, felt bad leaving it at the garage last night... like leaving the dog at the vets!

WP_20190803_19_56_05_Pro.thumb.jpg.9d7072bff1f61e598aa9b13e3dceffcf.jpg

You've no idea how much this dude loves this car!  It has been absolutely perfect for teaching him how to drive and maintain a vehicle.

WP_20190811_10_37_34_Pro.thumb.jpg.c08df94bb5b0fe98c118c7c0906afa3f.jpg

UPDATE:  Failed on a perished ball joint rubber... nothing else to report, pick up on Wednesday!

FINAL UPDATE:  Done and home, my friendly mechanic removed the old rubber from the balljoint, and just replaced that... didn't even know that was a thing!  He's a good guy, as I pulled up tonight he was moving a 1953 Ford Anglia out of the workshop having just resurrected the ancient sidevalve donk and replaced the tyres... old school to say the least! 

28 year old Mazdarati lives to fight another year!

Going to be collecting 2020’s first arrival tomorrow... Which means there might be a Saab 9000 up for grabs very soon. Question is do I fix the door first or just roffle as is... 
Oh FFS, my want for a 9000 is high, but currently well over capacity..

Probably still enter the roffle though..

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Oh FFS, my want for a 9000 is high, but currently well over capacity..

Probably still enter the roffle though..

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

It’s currently on loan to the BiL... so you may have a couple of weeks to get sorted ?

On 1/19/2020 at 8:27 AM, 00833827 said:

On a run to my local lidl to top up wine supplies last night i noticed at the dealership next door that a mate of mine runs he had taken a renault kangoo in as a trade in. Its 2006 test is out a few months and taxed till end of month. Was dark so couldnt see its condition but will pop by there again shortly. Its a 1.2 pez which will do fine.

3 things i know :

1. I will probably buy it if its available

2. I will probably get it for small money

3. My wife will probably divorce me. She has already said not to bring it home. I think i will have to hide it somewhere for a while

well my marriage is saved, the kangoo was taken before i got in touch with my mate. i suppose thats a good thing?

The 214 behaved itself long enough for me to drive it for 10 minutes then do this:

IMG_20200120_135400_2.thumb.jpg.b80e81986601cf77b6ce3cb563cfe8ac.jpg

Battery and handbrake off, sleep long little soljer (you ungrateful bastard).

Problem is, the Council have made me aware these garages will be demolished in the Autumn for new housing (to be fair, it was on the cards) which means I can't abandon it for many years ('drove fine to where it is now, 27 years ago').

Nice 30 minute country walk and home.

Pair of Avon ZV7s fitted to the front of the Toyota after picking up 3 nails in OSF on Saturday morning. Put spare on and it was date stamped 4901.....

Good front tyre on spare, and car now drives superbly and quietly.

Also I have repaired a Poundland mouse because I'm a mingebag.

MOT time for Felicia.

IMG_20200121_095359.thumb.jpg.be40c6e1d353bb1a2253cef1bf6b778d.jpg

I always go for an early slot on a day off so I have time for any minor jobs and get it back the same day. But, no worries, straight through. 

IMG_20200121_111304.thumb.jpg.d7c310b746a1a19bf124d12fc54566f3.jpg

So the rest of the day is my own to do nothing at all.

Favorit is due next in a couple of weeks. How have I ended up with two cars with January/February Mot's? I almost feel it's worth putting one back in around July to spread them out. January is definitely not fun time for working on cars. 

Just now, Yoss said:

MOT time for Felicia.

IMG_20200121_095359.thumb.jpg.be40c6e1d353bb1a2253cef1bf6b778d.jpg

I always go for an early slot on a day off so I have time for any minor jobs and get it back the same day. But, no worries, straight through. 

IMG_20200121_111304.thumb.jpg.d7c310b746a1a19bf124d12fc54566f3.jpg

So the rest of the day is my own to do nothing at all.

Favorit is due next in a couple of weeks. How have I ended up with two cars with January Mot's? I almost feel it's worth putting one back in around July to spread them out. January is definitely not fun time for working on cars. 

I'm hoping my old Audi tomorrow passes first time, I've not got the spare cash if anything major fails. And to be honest, I don't think it'll fail on anything major. 

Might retest it in May or June so it resets the anniversary to the summer. January isn't a time to be working on a car without a garage.