The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

12 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Once again it's early on a Saturday morning and once again I am on a train going to collect a car I didn't intend to buy, have no real use for and only bid on because it was cheap. 

I'm beginning to think there might be something wrong with me... 

There’s nothing wrong with you. Loads of people are up early on a Saturday

MOT on Thursday.  Usual pacing up and down watching a man with a concerned look on his face pulling and prodding things.  

End result? “Yeah good as gold mate, one of the headlights was slightly out so I tweaked it down a bit so all good.  No advisories or anything, brake pads could do with a change soon but that’s all good.  £40 please”

Twelve years old and its one and only failure was last year when the rubber seal in the filler cap had split which was an £11 replacement part.  Goes to show that keeping an eye on stuff and maintaining regularly is a good idea.  Shame it’s lousy cosmetically!

Will treat it to a wash and wax later.  Good old Leon....

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Once again it's early on a Saturday morning and once again I am on a train going to collect a car I didn't intend to buy, have no real use for and only bid on because it was cheap. 

If it’s that Merc and you’re open to investors than please let me know. Had I seen the tat thread that day I’d have put my hand up sooner!

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I know that feeling. 

You need to stop buying things just because they're cheap. By the time you get them home, fix a few bits, tax MOT etc it's not that cheap, and you've got another car you don't really need. Fix one of the cars you own instead, or go for a drive and enjoy one of them. 

This is what I keep telling myself, and currently it's working. I've not bought a car this year. 

55 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

If it’s that Merc and you’re open to investors than please let me know. Had I seen the tat thread that day I’d have put my hand up sooner!

Sadly not.  I wanted that and fully intended to buy it but couldn't afford it.  Today's purchase is nowhere near as interesting. 

2 hours ago, skattrd said:

I know that feeling. 

You need to stop buying things just because they're cheap. By the time you get them home, fix a few bits, tax MOT etc it's not that cheap, and you've got another car you don't really need. Fix one of the cars you own instead, or go for a drive and enjoy one of them. 

This is what I keep telling myself, and currently it's working. I've not bought a car this year. 

This is what I'm trying to do. Sold a couple of cars last year and I'm trying hard to ignore the cash in the biscuit tin (that brown Cresta in the ebay thread though.. Phwoarrr..) in favour of finally doing something with the Gazelle and the 164. I've had each for three years and they've been shamefully ignored in the shed for pretty much all that time. 

I hope the mx5 is not going to be one of those cars. I had not driven it for a fortnight and it only just started, I defrosted it and let it warm up while I defrosted the Kia and got it out of the way.

I went up to collect my prescription meds in the Mx5 and it fired up straight away after. Unfortunately on my way to get some petrol, so I could give it a good run out, I made the mistake of putting the driver's window down, it has suffered the usual Mx5 window mechanism cable failure and wouldn't go back up. I have come home. I had bought another set of window switches (the passenger one is dodgy). I had the faint hope that it was the driver's switch as well, it wasn't. To compound my annoyance the new* switch is for the later Mx5 and has a shorter lead as it's in a different place on the console (even though it was shown as a Mk1 switch) so while it works it's no good to me. The car is now back behind the gates in disgrace with the door panel off, centre console off and a window that I can't get all the way up (without chopping the chewed up cables off the mechanism) I have temporarily filled* the gap and will beef this up with gaffer tape (only I can't find it so will have to go back out to buy some).

And I've just remembered that I've left my prescription in the glove box.

20200118_123712.jpg

those window cables are a bugger to fit - I would recommend just replacing the whole mechanism if you can find a good used one. there is an aftermarket 'worm drive' type available which is a much better design but I'm not sure where to buy one - my old v-spec had them fitted, the windows were much quicker and smoother to use.

good luck

Camry taken for an MoT this morning:

image.thumb.png.9a2eaa916f0711b8bfb5f93167147b1a.png

Both the failure items as expected. Unfortunately I only found out about the headlight last night and it was too cold/dark to faff around changing it when I knew it would fail on the ABS light.

Pleased to find no rot/brake/suspension issues. Will get them to advise on what's up with the ABS and get it sorted. I have the spares car here if need be, although I do wonder if there's a bit of rodent damage.

I could do with getting it on the road again as I seem to be doing a lot of extra miles due to various dad's taxi duties, and it's not ideal to keep using the Sunny at this time of year.

Well that was an uneventful collection mission.  It's a modern* diesel Audi so as expected it got me home quickly, economically, safely and boringly.  The only thing that makes it vaguely interesting is that it's been remapped from the factory 130bhp to 162, according to the dyno printout, so it GLF when called upon - it'll easily light up the front tyres on the throttle in first.  I wouldn't call it a sleeper though as people expect diesel Audis to be going fast. 

It's a base model so cloth seats, keep fit windows in the back and no cruise.  It's not in bad nick apart from the rear bumper needing realigning and some bizarre corrosion on the roof. 

DSC_0823.thumb.JPG.d903f34b75623ede134d3d4458713eb6.JPG

RobT and co are right though - London is still a fertile hunting ground for chod.  These were all taken within a few hundred yards of each other in Hackney this morning. 

DSC_0807.thumb.JPG.feb3e5e5b67553663cf026c3dd79c71e.JPG

DSC_0808.thumb.JPG.f8ce4fad9721d06897f5a0011854e7d9.JPG

DSC_0809.thumb.JPG.4183478c1af61c69735f5bc2fb1f66f7.JPG

DSC_0811.thumb.JPG.ec31d94a49c3184f8f6189ff0dca9872.JPG

DSC_0810.thumb.JPG.d2b0aad0ad54e161dc7a5d237c9f72dd.JPG

DSC_0812.thumb.JPG.4b8c4d94b09a62e70090bf1c904ff760.JPG

These two were on the south bank of the Thames - not exactly chod, but make a nice change from the usual butchered H van (of which there was also one). 

DSC_0817.thumb.JPG.6a9720c77f2e9101d269fecdc6294b1a.JPG

DSC_0818.thumb.JPG.79f03b363213a4d1c8b43f95c0f07eb8.JPG

Even Aldershot (where I picked the Audi up from) isn't entirely without interest when it comes to chod spotting.  These were all taken on the walk from the station to the seller's house. 

DSC_0819.thumb.JPG.e70386274e7ee630bb8fe75ec0738adf.JPG

DSC_0820.thumb.JPG.e9cd3aecc95395a27201c6119240f840.JPG

DSC_0821.thumb.JPG.c24e1c982589be06459d982b3a88ddb2.JPG

25 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Well that was an uneventful collection mission.  It's a modern* diesel Audi so as expected it got me home quickly, economically, safely and boringly.  The only thing that makes it vaguely interesting is that it's been remapped from the factory 130bhp to 162, according to the dyno printout, so it GLF when called upon - it'll easily light up the front tyres on the throttle in first.  I wouldn't call it a sleeper though as people expect diesel Audis to be going fast. 

It's a base model so cloth seats, keep fit windows in the back and no cruise.  It's not in bad nick apart from the rear bumper needing realigning and some bizarre corrosion on the roof. 

DSC_0823.thumb.JPG.d903f34b75623ede134d3d4458713eb6.JPG

RobT and co are right though - London is still a fertile hunting ground for chod.  These were all taken within a few hundred yards of each other in Hackney this morning. 

DSC_0807.thumb.JPG.feb3e5e5b67553663cf026c3dd79c71e.JPG

DSC_0808.thumb.JPG.f8ce4fad9721d06897f5a0011854e7d9.JPG

DSC_0809.thumb.JPG.4183478c1af61c69735f5bc2fb1f66f7.JPG

DSC_0811.thumb.JPG.ec31d94a49c3184f8f6189ff0dca9872.JPG

DSC_0810.thumb.JPG.d2b0aad0ad54e161dc7a5d237c9f72dd.JPG

DSC_0812.thumb.JPG.4b8c4d94b09a62e70090bf1c904ff760.JPG

These two were on the south bank of the Thames - not exactly chod, but make a nice change from the usual butchered H van (of which there was also one). 

DSC_0817.thumb.JPG.6a9720c77f2e9101d269fecdc6294b1a.JPG

DSC_0818.thumb.JPG.79f03b363213a4d1c8b43f95c0f07eb8.JPG

Even Aldershot (where I picked the Audi up from) isn't entirely without interest when it comes to chod spotting.  These were all taken on the walk from the station to the seller's house. 

DSC_0819.thumb.JPG.e70386274e7ee630bb8fe75ec0738adf.JPG

DSC_0820.thumb.JPG.e9cd3aecc95395a27201c6119240f840.JPG

DSC_0821.thumb.JPG.c24e1c982589be06459d982b3a88ddb2.JPG

Had to do a double take there!

you were very close to where I live LOL

those are the Morris minors I have talked about in my thread (cc @mrbenn  :) )  , and I remember spotting that pickup back in 2015 or so, I found it most interesting that it was a US truck but RHD :) (somewhere I might have a crappy photo I took of it back then)

(although I dont recall the blue moggie living so close to the green traveller maybe there are more moggies around here then I realise!)

Today I fitted an exhaust centre section to the Peugeot. It is now a lot quieter, and will hopefully stay that way this time. 

I'm kinda unimpressed with how well it does an estate though, the tailgate aperture isn't big enough for what I mainly use it for, which is bikes. 
I want another R8 - a mate of mine has pointed out a twincam Honda Concerto, and a plan might form there.

In other news, I'm very very broke and need to find a job I'm mentally capable of doing (bear in mind I'm looking into being diagnosed with ADHD, too). Whilst the bike shop is good for me, it's casual employment and whilst it's exactly what I want and need right now, it doesn't provide and my parents aren't helping. Life is a bit of a bastard.