The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 1/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, Six-cylinder said:

Opening the FoD for camping during FoTU is no use this year and getting your Free breakfast at the Silvers isn't going to work either, so I am thinking we should find another event local to FoD (Buckingham) as a focus for opening the field for camping on a different date.

Any ideas?

^^^ This.
As you say, FoD camping and Silvers' Service Breakfast Club on FotU weekend won't work this year due to new FotU location being about 80 miles away.
Like the idea of combining a FoD camping weekend with a local event though.
What about either Tingewick or Yardley Gobion fete. Can't see any published dates for 2020 yet but Quicksilver & I went to both last year and they were very enjoyable. Not far away, large turnout of a good variety of cars, nice informal atmosphere, free entry and no need to book in advance. Also other fetey type stuff for OHs and kids.

Started/stopped again (repeat 15 times) then stopped.

IMG_20200115_134111.thumb.jpg.eccc8cf0539cc3dbb044be44fc63dbd0.jpg

Changed plug, made no odds . 

IMG_20200115_135334.thumb.jpg.3633bbcfae00301aa65d11c1f2df22f8.jpg

Started  again after a while, let it tick over then revved the knackers off it.  Seemed to work, so it went to our valeting department for the screen to be washed.

IMG_20200115_142152.thumb.jpg.d3fab25d66a4d900945a2dd7278d303e.jpg

Next up a successful 8-10 mile ride, didn't try flat out on top but does an indicated 50mph without any drama.  Think problem probs due to it running out of fuel recently, probably dragged a bit of shit through.

Tick over slightly higher than ideal so will try and adjust that, then get the garage to do new inner and outer cables so I know they're right. 

IMG_20200115_145007.thumb.jpg.c25c834f4fa2cf07c7f192a5aa182ce0.jpg

Really enjoyed that little run out, quite different to the Lambretta to ride.

Yet another mini-shite meet this week, this time at a remote location in Fife to drop off my Clio to a friend of our dome and 320T who loves* working on them.

320T, jaypee, dome and I mostly slabbered over this '62 Galaxie 500.

20200115_200805.thumb.jpg.9ecf62cb48018ebb9f34074c2db42ed9.jpg

My Clio needs a new subframe and bottom arms.

When our friend inspected it he asked where the car had been living (Staxigoe near Wick to be precise) as it was really rusty.

Anyway, the replacement items are good so it will help the car live on. I think I have decided Clios are not for me though......

Many thanks to our 320T for venturing out on a cold and blowy evening to give me a lift back - it was quite far.

I have almost been ashamed to admit this but...

some time ago I had a longing for a wood dashboard. I ordered and paid for one (£100) which never came so requested money back which did, amazingly! So I ordered another one from CARiD in Canada or the US which looked right and was only $90. But, by the time postage was taken into account, it was £130 and then it got caught for customs which was another £30. But still, gonna be here soon...

And so it was, five tiny pieces of tat. Best of all, not for my car. Nothing like the fit of any part. I requested a refund that was in November! Just had a notice to send them pictures of the item destroyed and they will process a refund. I have sent them pictures so will see if I get anything back. What a fanny about and what a fanny I am for buying such utter crap. I have decided that the interior is fine the way Mercedes made it (apart from the 'pink shrimp').

On 1/15/2020 at 12:00 AM, 320touring said:

This wee burner did a grand job 

Is that a Clarke propane based unit? I'm considering one for whatever garage I get when I eventually move. Does it cause a lot of condensation on stuff around it?

The video got me reminiscing- we first did a circuit of the flat track, which was like something out of the Ben hur chariot race ( then read the instructions about no overtaking). Then we lined up to go round the banked track. I was near the front and followed the camera car which was a mehari.  I was also giving a lift to a Canadian 2cver who I’d just met thumbing for a lift on the campsite. Set off at a fair lick ( as you do when 1000 other cars are chasing you). Got to 65 and couldn’t seem to get any more out of the car- we were half way up the banking at this point, and looking out of the passenger roof side you could see the concrete track. Then I realised that I hadn’t changed gear and was still in third! Changed up to fourth coming down from the first corner and accelerated to past 70 passing the camera car and others. It was accelerating well past the stop limit on the speedo so think it was over 80. 

then we did the trip into Paris. 4000 or so 2cvs in convoy. 

The poster from the event had been on the wall at work ever since. Nothing will ever top the experience.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:44 PM, wuvvum said:

Will a 2CV really do 65 in third?  I've obviously been short-shifting then...

finally got an answer for you! LOL :) 

8 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Got to 65 and couldn’t seem to get any more out of the car- we were half way up the banking at this point, and looking out of the passenger roof side you could see the concrete track. Then I realised that I hadn’t changed gear and was still in third!

On 1/15/2020 at 3:24 PM, Cavcraft said:

Started/stopped again (repeat 15 times) then stopped.

IMG_20200115_134111.thumb.jpg.eccc8cf0539cc3dbb044be44fc63dbd0.jpg

Changed plug, made no odds . 

IMG_20200115_135334.thumb.jpg.3633bbcfae00301aa65d11c1f2df22f8.jpg

Started  again after a while, let it tick over then revved the knackers off it.  Seemed to work, so it went to our valeting department for the screen to be washed.

IMG_20200115_142152.thumb.jpg.d3fab25d66a4d900945a2dd7278d303e.jpg

Next up a successful 8-10 mile ride, didn't try flat out on top but does an indicated 50mph without any drama.  Think problem probs due to it running out of fuel recently, probably dragged a bit of shit through.

Tick over slightly higher than ideal so will try and adjust that, then get the garage to do new inner and outer cables so I know they're right. 

IMG_20200115_145007.thumb.jpg.c25c834f4fa2cf07c7f192a5aa182ce0.jpg

Really enjoyed that little run out, quite different to the Lambretta to ride.

Didn't know you had this.. do you have some details on it somewhere?

Just when the neighbours didn’t think my driveway could get any more classy... there’s been an 04 reg Renault Kangoo wheelchair accessible van parked in my drive all week... No I haven’t gone mad... it’s my Brother in Laws MoT failure of a van... 

He says he is fixing it tomorrow...