The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 minute ago, gm said:

yep, got the tool (bought it years ago from junkyarddog when he was involved in mx5nutz) - pm me your address and I'll bung it in the post - mine is also a mk1 1.8 which I was booting off a roundabout when it went ping, a quick tow home from the rac and a new belt fitted a couple of days later and it's running good as new, maybe even better as the old belt was pretty worn, might have been slightly out of timing before.

@Tenmil Socket

IMG_1079.thumb.JPG.5af2af2a1a661a863c9c57276499e8b2.JPG

I bought the kit off mx5parts, worked out much cheaper than europarts :)

That would be great, many thanks! 

I noticed they do a kit that contains rocker gasket and water pump too. I might as well change the aux belt too...

Had a good poke round the newly purchased Omega today.  Was a rather more relaxing drive back up the M11 than the one I'd experienced a week and a day earlier.  The 2.2 DTI isn't the most refined engine in the world (the earlier BMW 6 knocked it into a cocked hat in that respect) but at motorway speeds it's pretty much inaudible.  It wafts along quite happily, the cruise control works, the stereo is brilliant and bugger me is it comfy.  I haven't put any fuel in it yet but according to the computer it managed 46mpg on the way back - so about what you'd expect for a big barge with a rather old-tech engine.  It's not exactly blisteringly quick with 120bhp, but it's more than adequate.  It does have one minor issue where it puts the EML on when you come to a stop for any length of time (e.g. at a red light) when the engine is fully warmed up.  This puts the engine into limp mode, but then the light goes out again within a few seconds of pulling away again and full power is restored, so it's not a massive problem really.  Holding the revs slightly above idle seems to prevent it happening anyway.

All the (numerous) electrics seem to work with the exception of the parking sensors.  The heated driver's seat is volcanic, warms up almost instantly and is in a different league to the Rover's - it's even better than the ones in the V70.  I haven't tried the other seats yet, but I have no reason to believe they wouldn't work (yup, it has seat heaters in the rear B)).  Also, despite having done nearly 200K, there's very little wear to the interior, apart from the gear lever gaiter being rather scruffy, and the light switches have "done a Fiat" and gone all sticky and weird.

Bodywork isn't bad but the paint needs a good polish in a few places, there are scuffs on the rear bumper corners and one of the headlight washers is MIA - this will need replacing as it has HID headlights (which are predictably shit).  What does concern me slightly is the crack in the windscreen - the previous owner said it passed the MOT OK, but I'm not so sure - it's not really in the driver's view of the road, but it's well within the wiped area.

DSC_0800a.thumb.JPG.6825b76eb1cef339d8bc9b0e5c586fe9.JPG

It does have rear arches though.  There is some surface rust, but a good prod revealed that all is still solid in that department - some Kurust was applied and hopefully they'll last a while yet.

DSC_0803.thumb.JPG.44c26259352a1702f2a58ab65566fa80.JPG

DSC_0802.thumb.JPG.42d0ca3d2e7b462e15b52de9b0b68523.JPG

It also needs a bonnet release lever, and possibly a cable as well - the bonnet is a right twat to open, I had to grab the cable end with a pair of pliers and then heave while bracing my foot against the bulkhead.  Fortunately the screen wash bottle holds 6 litres and the oil is still on max, so I shouldn't need to perform that operation too often.

The boot only opens from the button on the key, but it is mahoosive.  In fact, greatly to my surprise:

DSC_0801.thumb.JPG.b675ab727523d656c010ba7eba7b6ce4.JPG

It was a bit of a faff to manoeuvre in so I won't be doing it every day, but it's good to know that I can if I need to.

Being an Elite, the dashboard is a festival of fake wood - rather more convincing than the Hyundai's it has to be said.  It doesn't have sat nav though - I thought it might, being a very late Elite, but nope.  It'd probably be pretty useless now anyway to be fair - the only reason the Rover's is still usable is that BMW keep updating the discs.

DSC_0804.thumb.JPG.856d09cffdc968ec8260bb87a3b64863.JPG

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.  I've always liked Omegas, and the facelift ones in particular are a handsome beast I reckon.  Not sure what the long term plans will be for it, but for now I'm just going to enjoy cruising the mean streets of Norfolk.

I got back today from a short break in France.  Chariot of choice was the 406, despite my reservations due to the running rough when cold issue.  611 miles on Thursday down to Bordeaux and all was well.  But on Friday morning my sphincter got a workout as it kept cutting out on roundabouts and at T-junctions.

Mrs T asked what my plan B was.  Dump it and fly home was my response.  However, before the hols I knew at full operating temperature it was fine, so lesson learnt I left it to warm up for 20 mins each morning and problem solved*.

20200112_134206.thumb.jpg.8250fba734901c82d497a8b67a559e35.jpg

Closest I'll ever get to a bottle of Petrus.

Saw several 205s and a few R4s.

20200112_120313.thumb.jpg.f6ec576d97f5b55766dfb692c0baf680.jpg

There's also shit loads of 406s in and around Bordeaux, as well as plenty of other 90s shite.  It's the first time I've ever been to the region and I really like it,  as it has a nice relaxed feel (out of season anyway).

The Dune du Pilat near Arcachon is a sight to behold.  Tallest sand dune in Europe.

20200111_162507.thumb.jpg.16697464d20f36a9a0b72758de8e3630.jpg

On the way home today, the Mulsanne straight.  Fastest I went was 60, as the locals were pottering along...

20200113_103039.thumb.jpg.93f12cc01e67f485b9eca4c6aa03de1b.jpg

1,500 miles in total at high 40s mpg, and apart from a sore right butt cheek it's a comfy old cruiser.

14 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Had a good poke round the newly purchased Omega today.  Was a rather more relaxing drive back up the M11 than the one I'd experienced a week and a day earlier.  The 2.2 DTI isn't the most refined engine in the world (the earlier BMW 6 knocked it into a cocked hat in that respect) but at motorway speeds it's pretty much inaudible.  It wafts along quite happily, the cruise control works, the stereo is brilliant and bugger me is it comfy.  I haven't put any fuel in it yet but according to the computer it managed 46mpg on the way back - so about what you'd expect for a big barge with a rather old-tech engine.  It's not exactly blisteringly quick with 120bhp, but it's more than adequate.  It does have one minor issue where it puts the EML on when you come to a stop for any length of time (e.g. at a red light) when the engine is fully warmed up.  This puts the engine into limp mode, but then the light goes out again within a few seconds of pulling away again and full power is restored, so it's not a massive problem really.  Holding the revs slightly above idle seems to prevent it happening anyway.

All the (numerous) electrics seem to work with the exception of the parking sensors.  The heated driver's seat is volcanic, warms up almost instantly and is in a different league to the Rover's - it's even better than the ones in the V70.  I haven't tried the other seats yet, but I have no reason to believe they wouldn't work (yup, it has seat heaters in the rear B)).  Also, despite having done nearly 200K, there's very little wear to the interior, apart from the gear lever gaiter being rather scruffy, and the light switches have "done a Fiat" and gone all sticky and weird.

Bodywork isn't bad but the paint needs a good polish in a few places, there are scuffs on the rear bumper corners and one of the headlight washers is MIA - this will need replacing as it has HID headlights (which are predictably shit).  What does concern me slightly is the crack in the windscreen - the previous owner said it passed the MOT OK, but I'm not so sure - it's not really in the driver's view of the road, but it's well within the wiped area.

DSC_0800a.thumb.JPG.6825b76eb1cef339d8bc9b0e5c586fe9.JPG

It does have rear arches though.  There is some surface rust, but a good prod revealed that all is still solid in that department - some Kurust was applied and hopefully they'll last a while yet.

DSC_0803.thumb.JPG.44c26259352a1702f2a58ab65566fa80.JPG

DSC_0802.thumb.JPG.42d0ca3d2e7b462e15b52de9b0b68523.JPG

It also needs a bonnet release lever, and possibly a cable as well - the bonnet is a right twat to open, I had to grab the cable end with a pair of pliers and then heave while bracing my foot against the bulkhead.  Fortunately the screen wash bottle holds 6 litres and the oil is still on max, so I shouldn't need to perform that operation too often.

The boot only opens from the button on the key, but it is mahoosive.  In fact, greatly to my surprise:

DSC_0801.thumb.JPG.b675ab727523d656c010ba7eba7b6ce4.JPG

It was a bit of a faff to manoeuvre in so I won't be doing it every day, but it's good to know that I can if I need to.

Being an Elite, the dashboard is a festival of fake wood - rather more convincing than the Hyundai's it has to be said.  It doesn't have sat nav though - I thought it might, being a very late Elite, but nope.  It'd probably be pretty useless now anyway to be fair - the only reason the Rover's is still usable is that BMW keep updating the discs.

DSC_0804.thumb.JPG.856d09cffdc968ec8260bb87a3b64863.JPG

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.  I've always liked Omegas, and the facelift ones in particular are a handsome beast I reckon.  Not sure what the long term plans will be for it, but for now I'm just going to enjoy cruising the mean streets of Norfolk.

Those 2.0 dti and 2.2 have about 3 million plastic small vac pipes, check them they could be source of you em light 

16 hours ago, wuvvum said:

...It'd probably be pretty useless now anyway to be fair - the only reason the Rover's is still usable is that BMW keep updating the discs.

Re: Rover sat nav - I understand that your's is a DVD version. 

Does the BMW DVD player simply slot in in place of the original CD player or is there more to it than that? And do you have a link to one I can buy please?

Ta

Yes, mine is the DVD version.  It does slot straight into the same holder as the CD unit, and the plugs are the same.  The only thing I will mention is that I upgraded my dash unit to the newer version at the same time - not sure how the DVD would work with the smaller screen of the original type.

There are normally a few for sale on eBay - do a search for BMW E46 sat navs and it should bring them up - they are exactly the same system (including the in dash units which are interchangeable, barring two small brackets on the top which need to be hacksawed off to fit in the Rover dash).

On 1/10/2020 at 4:20 PM, Cavcraft said:

After weeks and weeks of arsing about waiting for the log book for the Vespa, I got it last night. Had already insured it, so taxed it and couldn't wait to get out for a blast. It ran out of juice, so I lobbed some in from a can, then went to the petrol station. Bit of a bastard to start again, so twiddled with the fuel tap and off it went. Mile and a half up the road, giving it some beans and it conked to a stop. Steadfastly refused to start, went to open the tool box door to see if there was any spares in there (,i.e plug and spanner), forgot it was a different lock and promptly broke the only ignition key in the tool box door lock!

Luckily it wasn't far from home and another scooter rider with a van kindly offered me a lift, but I pushed it anyhow

Slurped up some crust/shit from the bottom of the tank when it ran out of fuel and bunged up the main jet?

That ET2 is indeed hanging, well bought.

I still harbour memories from 20 years ago of being scared shitless on the back of djimbob's lovely deep metallic red kettle ?

Another impromptu Scotoshite meet at the Unit - good to see Mr Fowler, Davehedgehog31 , Jaypee and Dome.

IMG_20200114_183420.thumb.jpg.69832858de32f69db3d181cf89d17ab9.jpg

Mr Fowler attended to a mildly recalcitrant alternator belt on his 740, achieving silence where once there was squeal.

IMG_20200114_184552.thumb.jpg.424c223647a0c179cf94975bbbab77a2.jpg

We also made a discovery of fire:

This wee burner did a grand job 

IMG_20200114_202605.thumb.jpg.46905cc9cd88d1472842d2a8419ecf5f.jpg

All in all a grand night oot :)

I remember when I was on work experience I was given temporary paper overalls for the week I was there. I warmed myself in front of the red diesel space heater before starting and when I looked down the overalls had been transformed into shorts with the cinders floating around the shop behind me.

Just taken my mate to view a car and the vendor turned out to be a really really arrogant bloke with a huge chip on his shoulder. Although we chiselled a bit off the 'firm' price (he hadn't said it was firm before we got there) I'd have not taken the fucking thing for free.

Thought I'd make a start on the Discovery clutch today. When I bought it the previous owner told me his mate fitted a new clutch six months earlier.Looking at the bodges to the structure I just shrugged. How it got through an MoT  I never knew. The rear seatbelt prescribed area was repaired with a bit of tin and some No-nails (which I peeled off when looking at it) and behind the plastic trim the sills consisted of tin, black mastic and pop rivets. Both inner and outer.

I thought if he had done the clutch I wonder what bodges I will find.I found to select diff lock you have to crawl underneath and move a copper tube that is rammed onto the lever when I first got the car so early indications were Mr Bodger had something to do with the gearbox.

The centre console isn't screwed down.The screws are there and so are the fixings but none are screwed together. With this removed and the top part of the gear lever off I removed the sound deadening to find the next bodge. There is a rubber seal across the tunnel held in place with 12 pop rivets.Mr Bodger decided drilling through all those rivets is too much work so he has sliced through the seal front to back.Yeah if he had removed the seal maybe he would have seen what was happening to the diff lock lever when putting the gearbox back in. I haven'tgot any further yet as I need to move the car in and out of the workshop. The parts won't be delivered until Friday anyway. Yes I have ordered a heavy duty clutch fork before you ask.Wonder what else I will find.