The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 1 January 2020 at 7:09 PM, 64A60 said:

I took the A55 to the (heaving) Stony Stratford Vintage gathering today. Only a 70 mile round trip on A and B roads but the longest distance I've done so far in it. Was mostly ignored by the spectators because dull 50's British saloon but I did have a chat with the neighbour of the previous (now deceased) owner and a chap who owned a identical example in 1968 and wanted a sit inside. I was also interviewed and photographed by someone from Classic Car Weekly so might be in the next issue..image.thumb.png.b463ef38b6f18eb552a49b366903a6e6.png

1 hour ago, jamiechod said:

just won this on ebay- should be alright for humping and dumping boxes to the tip when moving house then probably roffle it after?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-ghia-estate-deisel/223824589312?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2648 

late mk3, they couldve washed and hoovered it out

I took my BMW 318ti in today and it’s failed on emissions again as it has done for the  last four years but normally it scrapes through on a retest but not this time.

I’ve tried all the norm such as sensors plugs, leads, maf & cat etc  over the years but to no avail.

The weird thing is it runs fantastic and is economical and never uses a drop of oil or coolant and I have the same engine in my Z3 and that goes  through the emissions no problem each year and both cars have done similar miles of approximately 65000.

Its at the garage at the moment and they are good so I’m hoping it’s just the cheap cat I fitted about 3 years ago but it’s only done a couple of thousand miles since it was fitted so it’s back to the mini.

1 hour ago, jamiechod said:

just won this on ebay- should be alright for humping and dumping boxes to the tip when moving house then probably roffle it after?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-ghia-estate-deisel/223824589312?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2648 

Nice cars those Mk3 Mondeos - until the fuel pump  / injectors / DMF shart themselves anyway.  Bloody good on fuel and the heated front screen is brilliant on frosty mornings.

Just now, wuvvum said:

Nice cars those Mk3 Mondeos - until the fuel pump  / injectors / DMF shart themselves anyway.  Bloody good on fuel and the heated front screen is brilliant on frosty mornings.

yeah if i can get a month out of it i'll be happy which i think i'll be fairly unlucky if i dont! It looks to have had a few quid thrown at it at the last MOT so fingers crossed. 

They bridge quite nicely too, probably £225 in that.

In other news, a V5 I've been waiting ages for has literally just arrived. Time to finally sort the RFL out...

3 hours ago, jamiechod said:

also just noticed bonus chod on owners drive....

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, Vince70 said:

I took my BMW 318ti in today and it’s failed on emissions again as it has done for the  last four years but normally it scrapes through on a retest but not this time.

I’ve tried all the norm such as sensors plugs, leads, maf & cat etc  over the years but to no avail.

The weird thing is it runs fantastic and is economical and never uses a drop of oil or coolant and I have the same engine in my Z3 and that goes  through the emissions no problem each year and both cars have done similar miles of approximately 65000.

Its at the garage at the moment and they are good so I’m hoping it’s just the cheap cat I fitted about 3 years ago but it’s only done a couple of thousand miles since it was fitted so it’s back to the mini.

Is it worth chucking some snake oil in it? We've got a 2.0 Beetle cabriolet that failed its emissions , put a can of Cataclean in and it scraped through, well worth £15 or whatever, the place I use swear by it, reckon it gets , on average , a car a day through.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, Six-cylinder said:

Opening the FoD for camping during FoTU is no use this year and getting your Free breakfast at the Silvers isn't going to work either, so I am thinking we should find another event local to FoD (Buckingham) as a focus for opening the field for camping on a different date.

Any ideas?

you could celebrate the opening of a paper bag they'll still come! ?

16 hours ago, barefoot said:

Me too. It's a cheap car over there, fun mayhap, but by the time it's back here, it'll be an expensive car, and it'll still have no headlining.

I'll have you know it has a headlining now! It isn't very good, but it does have one. I've been steadily improving this car during my travels, because IDIOT.

14 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Could you road trip it back? Bar the bits of sea you have to do... Would cost fucking mega loads in fuel though

I had toyed with that, even if I shipped it somewhere, left it there for a while and then continued the roadtrip. Lots of admin, bribe-potential and hassle though, and the way the world is going, many of the countries would be best avoided!

There's been an absolute shitbox Japanese 4x4 people carrier thing around here for ages, huge wheels, cut away arches, winch on the front, several big bits smashed and taped up with gaffa tape, mud, shit and general crap. It got abandoned outside the house opposite a couple of months ago, not normally a worry as it would move every couple of weeks. But not this time, just been parked there ever since.

Today it has a DVLA  'Untaxed' sticker and a wheel clamp on it.

I'm not normally a great one to smile at someone elses misery but this twat has been abandoning it anywhere he likes including all four wheels on the pavement right on the corner of the road and then leaving it there for weeks for at least a year. I hope it gets fragged!

Seeing as I have been a good boy since New Year, serviced the car, cleaned it etc, I thought it about time I de-clagged the interior. Hoover was dug out from the cesspit and off I went, rejoicing. Hoovering away I noticed it is a tad damp here and there which as the windscreen occassionally mists up, not totally unexpected but I thought having taken all the damp towels out of the boot, it should have been okay.

Mould behind the seat! :(  Nowhere wet, but damp in places especially the bloody boot. Oh sod, I quoth, or words to that effect.

A little later I realised why it's damp inside and in the boot: sheer naked stupidity/operator error. Whenever the sun shines, some elderly stereotypes like to put the roof down. The roof that is still WET! Yes I put the wet roof down and it spills a load into the car and the rest just stays in the boot, on the roof and then flows into the carpet when you go round corners.

Why am I such a fucking idiot?

After weeks and weeks of arsing about waiting for the log book for the Vespa, I got it last night. Had already insured it, so taxed it and couldn't wait to get out for a blast. It ran out of juice, so I lobbed some in from a can, then went to the petrol station. Bit of a bastard to start again, so twiddled with the fuel tap and off it went. Mile and a half up the road, giving it some beans and it conked to a stop. Steadfastly refused to start, went to open the tool box door to see if there was any spares in there (,i.e plug and spanner), forgot it was a different lock and promptly broke the only ignition key in the tool box door lock!

Luckily it wasn't far from home and another scooter rider with a van kindly offered me a lift, but I pushed it anyhow

IMG_20200110_144508.thumb.jpg.38c29d3125a7d5329f6952086886ecd9.jpg

A bit earlier on I collected this, a quite horrible ET2 that doesn't run and is Cat N, but it was stupidly cheap (in relative terms) so can't complain

IMG_20200110_141205.thumb.jpg.bbbe4588856ebf150d36ae09e13d77fe.jpg

On the way back from buying that, popped into a motorbike accessory place to get a new helmet and this was in the car park. A thing of absolute beauty and still probably top of my dream bike list

IMG_20200110_135038.thumb.jpg.9b8cd58469f072b785ecd285c5b3a58b.jpg

IMG_20200110_135017.thumb.jpg.c69261347e113c53d35b171e6228e0d7.jpg