The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 1/4/2020 at 12:07 PM, Parky said:

Another oil change done on the daily - 106600 miles on it and having had a sumpful of decent synth every 6000 miles the engine should be reasonably decent inside.  Used the Pela as per usual and I know it might miss some but a 90% change should avoid a lot of sludge issues considering it’s done so regularly and I only use decent stuff.  

This time around I decided to use up a few odds and sods I have lying about so it has a litre of Total 5w30, a litre of Unipart 5w40, and two litres of new Quantum 5w40 so I now have a sumpful of 5w37 by my reckoning.  3 litres of Quantum left over so I will get another litre lined up so I have enough for a future change

Mrs P also complained that her Mini’s headlights are a bit shite so bought a couple of Halfords 50% brighter ones to try out when she gets home later.  They are poor but I reckon they are either shite bulbs or could be the originals.  I found my Leon’s lights were fine until one blew and the replacement standard bulb was about twice as bright.  Will report back on how that goes

Fuck it.

I can confirm that Halfords 50% brighter bulbs are, in fact, 50% brighter. Or at least they are on the drivers side of Mrs P’s Mini....

The passenger side has appeared to be misaligned and vibrates over bumps, unlike the drivers side so I thought the bulb was loose and moving around.  I was right, in fact the reason the bulb was moving was the entire inner light fitting was broken and held roughly together with cable ties. See this pic? All three adjuster lugs are kaput so a secondhand light is winging its way to me as we speak.  Or at least I hope it is as whilst the description was accurate (I think) the image was a library pic so fingers crossed whatever arrives is alright.  That said I have learned how to strip them with a hot air gun so I could still retain my own lens according to this lunatic - 

02399CCF-69D2-4F6A-83DE-83A8EC6F930C.jpeg

On 1/4/2020 at 10:38 PM, HMC said:

Passed what I think is/ was the legendary  tytes yard on the way from Weymouth to Weston today in the new sprinter. Would have stopped as I could see a load of old lorries and a stash of AS worthy cars but was wary of being a trespasser/ tourist (which of course we would have been)

9E17C008-6E87-4C99-9BC0-7AF46921A933.jpeg

5D800F18-1E72-4E15-8B5A-AD4729F8FC44.thumb.jpeg.bbb982f2c5c9f9bc68082379fdbd6d71.jpeg

No idea whether it's still a going concern but I stopped there with a mate in 2003 purely because we were in the area and had heard about it. The old boy (who must be long gone now, he was well past eighty then) couldn't have been any more welcoming once he learned we liked old cars. Fuck, it was wonderful.. Got some lovely photographs that day. 

email from Hagerty...

I am delighted to announce details of the seventh Festival of the Unexceptional.

This year the event will be held on Saturday July 25th at Grimsthorpe Castle Lincolnshire.

Concours de l'Ordinaire applications open 14th February and this will be via www.carfestivalbooking.com/ 

16 minutes ago, egg said:

email from Hagerty...

Ohhh, last couple of FoTU's there was just 1 Model 70 that could make it

as @Zelandeth mentioned a good while back we could have up to 4 suddenly show up this year :) 

(assuming REV TPA and Dolly are back on the road by then!)

do you think you can get there in the Mk12? :D

After much fannying about with spring compressors, I arrived at:

20200107_123438.thumb.jpg.940daa5705acaa2009a97f9ebe664fcb.jpg

Then a fair amount of swearing got me here:

20200107_132241.thumb.jpg.7dbb4280bf1516b066f84c74b50f845c.jpg

Only now that I have a direct side to side comparison do I realise precisely how fucked the old ones were!

Quick break to recover from an hour of being bad at using spring compressors then onto the other side!

I saw some tyres on eBay  cheap and local . I could see where they were so I called in to ask if I could  have a look at them ... As new  dot  44 18  so I bought them. It was like that scrapyard Foad goes  to . Kinda private scrapyard....old cars...there was a Sherpa MK1 pick up looking pretty straight buried in brambles ..  I enquired if it was for sale .. Anyone want one? He's asking his father how much would  it be and getting back to me..

6 hours ago, egg said:

email from Hagerty...

Last year’s event was the highlight of my year re: Motor Cars. I’ll be going - it’s only an hour or so from me again so I’m pleased. 

I hope another large AS contingent can make it - it was a great turn out last time. I’m happy to organise a convoy again! 

5 hours ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

IMG_20200107_135955372.thumb.jpg.b111d49d1b55529c0a723b3682344308.jpg

Literally just been a car crash outside my house! They were being chased by the cops and legged it but I think they got one of them, luckily the Lexus escaped unharmed. Welcome to Brierley Hill I guess.

There was a crash this morning on the A38:

20200107_083728.thumb.jpg.0622918d1f346537d176a5de32de2c07.jpg

Then onbthe way home I saw the aftermath of a T-bone crash, wasn't as dramatic as above.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:59 PM, Parky said:

Fuck it.

I can confirm that Halfords 50% brighter bulbs are, in fact, 50% brighter. Or at least they are on the drivers side of Mrs P’s Mini....

The passenger side has appeared to be misaligned and vibrates over bumps, unlike the drivers side so I thought the bulb was loose and moving around.  I was right, in fact the reason the bulb was moving was the entire inner light fitting was broken and held roughly together with cable ties. See this pic? All three adjuster lugs are kaput so a secondhand light is winging its way to me as we speak.  Or at least I hope it is as whilst the description was accurate (I think) the image was a library pic so fingers crossed whatever arrives is alright.  That said I have learned how to strip them with a hot air gun so I could still retain my own lens according to this lunatic - 

02399CCF-69D2-4F6A-83DE-83A8EC6F930C.jpeg

Ordered light Monday, arrived Tuesday and it’s a brand new TYC aftermarket.  Looks alright for £65 though.  Has to be a better bet than a busted OEM anyway as at least the light will now point vaguely where I want it to.  Weekend will see if the fucker fits or not but generally they have an OK reputation as a pattern part so we’ll see.

Other jobs are clean crap out of the ventilation fan to stop a flappy noise, change the pollen filter, and lube up the gearchange mechanism as it’s pretty stiff.  It’s certainly nowhere near as light and slick as it should be so something’s dried up somewhere.  Some Redline MTL wouldn’t be a bad shout either.  Gradually getting there....

13 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Last year’s event was the highlight of my year re: Motor Cars. I’ll be going - it’s only an hour or so from me again so I’m pleased. 

I hope another large AS contingent can make it - it was a great turn out last time. I’m happy to organise a convoy again! 

Absolutely still planning on being there. Was excellent fun last year! 

16 hours ago, egg said:

In bits on a trailer!

I don't think I'll be doing FoTU at that venue - I'll be focusing on ShitefestUK and hopefully a FoD visit...

Opening the FoD for camping during FoTU is no use this year and getting your Free breakfast at the Silvers isn't going to work either, so I am thinking we should find another event local to FoD (Buckingham) as a focus for opening the field for camping on a different date.

Any ideas?

I got into my lovely mint low mileage  Ti Compact today as I needed to move it as I am having some work done on the house  and haven’t started it in about 6 months and not  used it since the picture was taken  April last year.

After getting in it and starting it and hearing that lovely burbling noise from the exhaust I knew I should be using it so the insurance was put on through my multi car policy for 4 months for £24 so I’m over the moon with that.

Also I booked it in for an MOT tomorrow but the only problem it has each year is emissions issues as it just doesn’t get used enough but it feels like a Rolls-Royce compared to the mini on run flats and I didn’t realise how much poke it had compared to the Mini Cooper.

The irony of it was the compact was bought about 5 years ago as a winter car to keep my Z3 and my E36 cabriolet away from salty roads but it’s to good for a winter beater.

AF74B966-3894-4E80-8EF1-447FDFB4A6EA.jpeg

F250A448-7E40-4C04-9DDE-D710D2B5CCC0.jpeg

45 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

Definitely see an E36 Compact being in my fleet thread this year. Possibly.

Id say it’s getting harder to find a nice one now for reasonable money but they are about if you don’t mind travelling but even back then I had about a 200 mile journey to get a good example.

I think I paid 800 quid for mine but tatty high milers were about £500 back then and I think the drift scene and the compact cup championship has taken quite a few of the remaining examples.

It even went in to BMW last year for warranty work for a new steering joint/and airbag so that’s what I call service.

I was very lucky finding it as it had every bill from new and the previous owner who was a lovely guy  had owned the car since 1998 and I even had to be vetted before taking it away lol.

At the time I had an identical looking  316 which was also a beautiful car but my father kept pestering me for it so I thought I go one better and find the hot hatch version and it took about 6 months to find a nice one to replace it with.

This is the one it replaced and the only real difference from the outside is my Ti had alloys and front fog lamps.

C93A2007-1FBE-4F4D-8C69-557B088D3928.jpeg

29227950-C639-4955-A147-A867A494485A.jpeg

This is not accurate, just going from the onboard computer thing but since new plugs, doing the same pathetic little journeys, fuel consumption has decreased by 3 miles per gallon! At this rate, the plugs will have paid for themsellves by about 2030.