The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

After the 9N Polo had a new timing chain fitted last year it’s mainly been sitting around and doing the odd learner trip for younger T. That has stepped up over the last month and I’ve been using it for shorter journeys, quite a nice car to drive. However, last evening there was an FTP. It would crank, start and cut out straight away but no dash lights on at all. 
Main live supplies checked and fuses / relays with no obvious signs. Lives at engine management and instruments fuses meant getting the clocks out to check there. 
On removal the main connector didn’t feel quite right, outside of the connector was loose and pushing it home bought the panel to life. 
Further investigation showed the connector block pushes into the PCB, so I glued the plastic in place and soldered the pins back on the PCB, happy days a free repair!

The offending connector / pins  

C6F9C4CF-8329-4F14-8CEF-09A15708016C.thumb.jpeg.2c90e0cb69b83f859c74a1c54e5fae98.jpeg

Front row soldered, back row of pins were also ‘blobbed’ 

410355C2-0D8F-4252-BF51-5658A840ED42.thumb.jpeg.7055494e0a331ab5edfe4ab8af24d6b0.jpeg

All good after deleting error codes for missing comms to Gateway (Airbag lamp was on)

Happy New Year All

And finally home. Very few niggles. It has a noisy twin pipe exhaust, the stereo is an aftermarket Sony in demo mode which is very irritating when it's flashing away, passenger window doesn't work. It seemed a lot further journey home than I wanted, I doubt I'll be driving it that far in one go ever again. Unfortunately I have coffee'd up to stay awake, so probably won't sleep now.

10 hours ago, chadders said:

Probably not:

The cost of NHS dental treatment

People in certain groups are entitled to free NHS dental treatment, including those under 18, those under 19 still receiving full-time education, pregnant women or those who have had a baby in the last 12 months, and those on qualifying low-income benefits.

Otherwise, there are three standard NHS price bands. You should only pay once for each course of dental treatment. 

The bands cover:

Band 1 is £22.70  Examination, diagnosis (eg x-rays), preventive advice, a scale and polish if needed, application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant. Urgent care, even if your appointment needs more than one appointment to complete.

Band 2 is £62.10  Everything listed in Band 1, plus further treatment such as fillings, root-canal work and extractions.

Band 3 is £269.30  Everything listed in Bands 1 and 2, plus crowns, dentures and bridges.

These costs apply from 1 April 2019 and are part of the Department of Health uplift in dental charges, which started in April 2016.

I broke my tooth earlier in 2019 and I had an emergency appointment under the NHS and IIRC the cost was standard at 36 quid. 

She pretty much replaced a triangular corner about 4 mm x 4 mm or 1/6 th of the surface area of the whole tooth. 

12 hours ago, anonymous user said:

And finally home. Very few niggles. It has a noisy twin pipe exhaust, the stereo is an aftermarket Sony in demo mode which is very irritating when it's flashing away, passenger window doesn't work. It seemed a lot further journey home than I wanted, I doubt I'll be driving it that far in one go ever again. Unfortunately I have coffee'd up to stay awake, so probably won't sleep now.

Having done some long journeys in mine with the hood up and the noisy exhaust I can agree it can become very tiresome!! With the roof down however it’s excellent fun! 
Well purchased. They’re excellent cars... even if I’m thinking of selling mine! 

6 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Having done some long journeys in mine with the hood up and the noisy exhaust I can agree it can become very tiresome!! With the roof down however it’s excellent fun! 
Well purchased. They’re excellent cars... even if I’m thinking of selling mine! 

I've been thinking of selling mine too...

To anyone with an MX5 and thinking of selling, ust don't!

The little buggers are addictive and as soon as it's gone, you;ll be looking for another. I have had three and sold them all for valid reasons at the time, but I still want another. Even a sporty Merc doesn't fill the gap completely even though the SLK feels like a 'grown up' version with more toys, it is still not an MX5...

I have done something today I haven't done for years.... serviced my own car.

I only went out to play with the pump thing and after discovering that two hoses would fit into each other and one of them was already down the dipstick hole, it seemed rude not to! My car holds 8 litres of oil and the pump gt out about 8 and a 1/4 litres which is impressive. The oil filter was the easiest to change ever once I dug out my old Honda bike oil filter tool to get the cover off. Opie included all the 'O' rings for the filter (3 of) and the ones for the drain plug which I didn't use obviously.

While the oil was draining (slow man...) I decided to change the plugs.  Again, easy peasy once I found a 30 point thingy and got my Teng tiny socket set into the space. It was on the second coil pack that my left arm/hand had a fairly major spasm/shaking fit and I dropped the bloody Teng extension, socket and 30 point into the bowels of the engine bay! Bugger....

I did have a dig around for it but all  I achieved was slicing my right arm to shreds so fucked it off and went and found another 30 and  relevant bits.  After that, I ust used my right arm/hand (I know my left hand is useless but having been left handed since birth, I forget sometimes/often) and got all the plugs changed, coil acks back on, new oil in and much to my amazement, it started straight up and sounded fine. I was expecting dramas as the coil packs were a bugger to get off but dead easy to put back... Back on with the airbox and the covers and al done in two hours. It would have been closer to one if I had been organised/knew where the tools were and what was needed and if I hadn't wasted time looking for that bloody bit (I'm assuming it will drop out of the undertray at some point) and most importantly, if I'd warmed the oil first. It was the slow drain that really dictated how long the job took.

I have to say I am massively impressed with the drain pump way of doing it, I have never got all the oil out before but I reckon the old girl was sat there devoid of lube or as close as 'fuck it' is to swearing.

Love the Granny pig, very nice. Never had an estate but several saloons of all marks - MK2 was my fave, had a lovely 2.8 Ghia X auto injection with electric seats, air con, sunroof (electric) and all sorts. I felt like Lord Muck swanning around in it :) 

In other news (not really) whenever I checked the oil in the car it looked clean and new, when I drained it, it looked like black shit though it wasn't that old and when it was looked at properly, it was nice and clean. However, I 'think' (rarely) that the pump thing has got all the shit out fro the bottom of the sump that using the sump plug misses. I know it's very odd, but MB actually recommend using these pumps as you get more out! Certainly seems like it.

2 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Yay, my old Granny!

How is it nowadays? Didn’t it have a few engine issues? It still looks fine.

I still really miss it too.

I’ve missed it too!

It still has engine issues: the heads have been removed after it massively overheated when Junkman delivered it to Breadvan about 18 months ago.  Unfortunately the mechanic who was fixing it had a drastic career change, so the engine is still in bits. They’re all there though, and won’t be hard to reassemble.

Body-wise it needs a NSR wheel arch (more than ever) and a patch on the rear valence but   it’s solid underneath:

1CF5811B-FA75-4275-9D18-8148B4940260.thumb.jpeg.6845124ff705a5f80461a05bc344244e.jpeg

The boot lid is rough by the latch; I’ll look out for a replacement tailgate, but might just get away with Vactan and some body filler:

416DAF9B-7253-4385-A52C-33EAA24DC0D0.thumb.jpeg.37109216b32b55265ea22c8109c14fb0.jpeg

The interior is fine, the seats are actually better than I remembered.

I’ve got to shift a couple of other cars first then I’ll give it some love.EAB7DC7C-7725-42AA-AAEE-DCA5FB43A113.thumb.jpeg.1fe5836dfc95b1036ee6a408a98e46cc.jpeg

2 hours ago, skattrd said:

Looks good Mr_skizzer.
I mustardmitt to a little trailer envy, one is on my shopping list for later this year (along with doing a trailer test).

Thanks.

Mine is an Indespension trailer - seems pretty strong and solid, I drag it out of a caravan storage place from time to time and it just works.

I used to rent them, but they all get booked out  at weekends months in advance from March to  September.  

I bought it new as secondhand ones didn’t seem any cheaper unless knackered — I figured I’d get most of the purchase price back if/when I sell it on anyway.

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

I’ve missed it too!

It still has engine issues: the heads have been removed after it massively overheated when Junkman delivered it to Breadvan about 18 months ago.  Unfortunately the mechanic who was fixing it had a drastic career change, so the engine is still in bits. They’re all there though, and won’t be hard to reassemble.

Body-wise it needs a NSR wheel arch (more than ever) and a patch on the rear valence but   it’s solid underneath:

1CF5811B-FA75-4275-9D18-8148B4940260.thumb.jpeg.6845124ff705a5f80461a05bc344244e.jpeg

The boot lid is rough by the latch; I’ll look out for a replacement tailgate, but might just get away with Vactan and some body filler:

416DAF9B-7253-4385-A52C-33EAA24DC0D0.thumb.jpeg.37109216b32b55265ea22c8109c14fb0.jpeg

The interior is fine, the seats are actually better than I remembered.

I’ve got to shift a couple of other cars first then I’ll give it some love.EAB7DC7C-7725-42AA-AAEE-DCA5FB43A113.thumb.jpeg.1fe5836dfc95b1036ee6a408a98e46cc.jpeg

It does still look good underneath. I did do quite a bit of metal work underneath it when it was mine, although I do seem to remember it did have a few bits here and there needing attention. How’s the lacquer peel looking now!? Can’t be much left on the roof by now!

The wheel arch and boot lid handle were getting scabby when I had it so I’m not surprised they’re worse now! I did look out for a new rear arch but the estate arch is different to the saloon ones and not so easy to source anymore. You might be able to use a saloon arch, cut it down to about mid way to get the door shut side sorted then finish the bottom rearward section with sheet metal? That was going to be my plan for it anyway. And there was (no idea if still on there...) on eBay, a brand new old stock tailgate. I don’t remember it being cheap though!

Anyway, great to see the old beast again, I’m well happy you’ve got it still and it’s going to be ok! Keep us posted about it.

10 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

It does still look good underneath. I did do quite a bit of metal work underneath it when it was mine, although I do seem to remember it did have a few bits here and there needing attention. How’s the lacquer peel looking now!? Can’t be much left on the roof by now!

The wheel arch and boot lid handle were getting scabby when I had it so I’m not surprised they’re worse now! I did look out for a new rear arch but the estate arch is different to the saloon ones and not so easy to source anymore. You might be able to use a saloon arch, cut it down to about mid way to get the door shut side sorted then finish the bottom rearward section with sheet metal? That was going to be my plan for it anyway. And there was (no idea if still on there...) on eBay, a brand new old stock tailgate. I don’t remember it being cheap though!

Anyway, great to see the old beast again, I’m well happy you’ve got it still and it’s going to be ok! Keep us posted about it.

I’ve got a pair of saloon arch panels stashed away - that was my plan, to use it for the door side and improvise the estatey bit.

The work you did, including the other rear arch, bonnet and front wings, all still looks spot on :-)

It’s a lovely old bus and a super smooth cruiser. Very much looking forward to getting it back on the road — it’ll go quiet for a bit but I’ll update progress on here, fear not.

Happy to see that Granada again, a while ago I sat in it on Junkman's drive and was mighty impressed, it must have been after SF17 as I was delivering an XJ40 wing to him and Conelrad.
Returning to Ghia wagons three years later with a view to buying one, I was disappointed and put off them, I got my S3 XJ instead. 

JM and Conrad are alive, well and in good spirits for anyone wondering, I see them regularly. 

In me news, the 306 sheared a bolt on the aux belt tensioner on New Years' Eve, and after driving it home the next morning with no power steering (ouch), it was restored to working condition by my dad (who I'm getting on with a lot better with these days), as I'd have never extracted the snapped off thread myself. 
The Jag needs new radiator hoses which are on order, it's mostly behaving itself but is having idle issues again sometimes, it must need some tension in the throttle cable and some more regular excercise again. I noticed a small bubble appear in the front wing which is a fucker, but there are enough blisters on the car's lower flanks that I'm not arsed - it's structurally solid and the windscreen surrounds are perfect and 100% metal so that's that. 

Whilst I'm very happy with the 306, if anyone waved a good condition Civic Aerodeck 1.6 auto at me, I couldn't say no to it.