The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Got the tyre repaired on the Merc, dead easy, it was the valve leaking. Driving around today with the roof down, everyone is looking at me as if I'm demented but, seat heaters, airscarf, heater and blue skies. Why wouldn't you? Got a snog off Cheryl (she's the nice lady in the Co-op not the horrible stalker at Daddyhole!) after she carried all my shopping out for me, got bounced on by a dog (Benson) I haven't seen in ages and have generally had a good day.

Now watch some bastard fekk it up!

Had a good friend from the Netherlands visit me for a few days with his 2009 Focus diesel estate:

611846037_IMG_20191229_0919511.thumb.jpg.efd7107389b0ce76e328feb42b9e223b.jpg

He laments the fact that owning a car like a Saab 9-5 or a Volvo V70 is prohibitively expensive in NL for the average person and is perpetually amazed at how cheap cars over ten years old are in the UK.

Also, the Swedish equivalent of the Mercedes-Benz W124 met the West German equivalent of the Volvo 740 this evening:

photo_2019-12-30_16-14-57.thumb.jpg.81afdbea1ecf99e2ce2f7b821737f1ba.jpg

I was surprised to discover that the W124 is a slightly smaller car than the 740, but that could have been down to the way they were parked.

I've been round to have a chat with a couple of garages today, one for the Volvo 850, and another for the w203 Merc. Both cars should be getting looked at next week.

The Volvo is going in to Shemtek in Notts to sort the none start issue its had now for 2 years. My usual garage was unable to diagnose the issue, so its been sitting there ever since. The chap at shemtek knows T5s very well and is confident he should be able to diagnose and fix it without much problem, fingers crossed, I miss driving that car.

The Merc is going to a (new to me) local place to hopefully sort out the handling issue it's had since the incident on the A1 a few months back. Fingers crossed for this one, it's the most expensive car I've owned and I've barely driven it in the 5 months I've owned it.

18 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

Had a good friend from the Netherlands visit me for a few days with his 2009 Focus diesel estate:

He laments the fact that owning a car like a Saab 9-5 or Volvo V70 is prohibitively expensive in NL for the average person and is perpetually amazed at how cheap cars over ten years old are in the UK.

due to fact cars are road taxed on weight and european cars generally are expensive

nl friend had a toyota chaser import for a while - bought from here cos v cheap

cheap to apk even tho RHD but then he taxed it

ouch - it didnt last long

has oldtimer corolla and 2 starlets used for trackdays :D

On 12/29/2019 at 10:58 PM, jamiechod said:

I bet there will be so many Peugeot lickers going mental at ruining an S1 rallye 

Interestingly, Chris Harris seems quite sensitive to the fact the adventure cars got damaged

https://mobile.twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/1211618602606088193

I guess the R4 is going to be restored or at least roadworthy again:

https://mobile.twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/1211623363963183105

Been out and refitted the light on the 944. Haven't tested it yet, will wait for it to rain and see if it has worked as have other stuff to do today so will just hope for the best and worry about it if it does still leak. 

Someone has also chundered on the path outside the house so I've had to clean that up. 

Nice. 

On 11/22/2019 at 5:19 PM, chaseracer said:

In other Blingo news, all of the electric seems to have escaped.  I have bought a power pack and will "charge to 200!" tomorrow, if it stops raining.

Finally got off my arse and did this.  Battery is indeed banjaxed.  New one ordered online and will be fitted by the excellent local branch of ATS Euromaster on Friday morning.

After spending the day helping fitting an engine and gearbox to a series 1 land rover, I watched the afterglow of this decade fade behind the hills.

IMG_20191231_161257020.thumb.jpg.5a702186c70bb7dab603b5accfc49770.jpg

IMG_20191231_161649759.thumb.jpg.331e7c73cd1a72b6ff278fc58acc7d36.jpg

Here's to the future, and also those we have lost.

Have a good one, all. I'll see you on the other side (also with more landy details).

K11 NEWZ.

I haz bought a car cover for Dudley the K11, an eBay jobbie by a manufacturer called Maypole. I have to say it’s been really good at keeping the bird poop off it, although the interior is starting to get a bit mouldy so I’m gonna address that in the new year. I’ve left the drivers window down a tad to try and air it out a bit.

BB5E800C-4E29-4AFD-A720-57712F52EFCF.thumb.jpeg.fd8a1c6e1270350ac866c756aac052ad.jpeg

The plan is to MOT it and sell it on, as I still don’t have a need for it. Not sure on the price yet but I would like to make a profit on it and bodywork-wise this is a really good example. I stuck the battery back on him again this afternoon and he fired on half a turn of the key after being sat for two weeks, so I think that he’ll be okay for a few more thousands of miles yet.

Happy New Year to all you shiters!

*Hnnnnnnngh*

1532928658_BoxsterOrderList.thumb.png.f846e4b3414c165f435f2da5a97aeb0e.png

Then labour on top. Porsche Tax basically. Non genuine bottles exist but its been advised many a time for your own sanity to not use them.

I was intending to do most of it myself and make a YouTube video on it once we move house. However I just want to use the car right now. My local garage said ok to the suspension work on the Boxster and I'm really hoping that they'll be happy to do the coolant tank too. No special tools are needed, apart from small and leathery thick hands maybe.

I'm hoping that in 2020 we'll have a bit of a road trip to South of France in it.

After spending the day helping fitting an engine and gearbox to a series 1 land rover, I watched the afterglow of this decade fade behind the hills.
IMG_20191231_161257020.thumb.jpg.5a702186c70bb7dab603b5accfc49770.jpg
IMG_20191231_161649759.thumb.jpg.331e7c73cd1a72b6ff278fc58acc7d36.jpg
Here's to the future, and also those we have lost.
Have a good one, all. I'll see you on the other side (also with more landy details).
Pleased you have got a good end to the year - hoping 2020 brings you more of the same...

Finally Put a new midsection on the polo, snapped two exhaust clamp bolts and hurt my hand after slipping and punching the underneath. Then started it up for the first time in a week, started fine but has a bloody blow. 

Gave the yaris (or granny mobile as my daughter calls it) a good clean and polish. Then changed headlight bulbs. What an absolute nob the passenger side one is! Made my newly bad hand even worse.

1/10 would not recommend playing with cars today. 

IMG_20191230_122551.jpg

IMG_20191230_122558.jpg

IMG_20191230_150807.jpg

On 12/8/2019 at 11:45 PM, LightBulbFun said:

it just means the vehicle has been either dead or inactive for so longer, thats its either just not part of the DVLA database, or its been archived by the DVLA and is not on the front line so to speak

This. My 1959 Vespa had no paperwork when I got it from a family member and it didn't show up on DVLA. I went round the houses, trying to find old taxation records to no avail, and - as a last resort - filled in a V62 as if I'd just bought it without a registration document. Bingo! Turns out it had last been taxed in 1979 and not transferred to the new computerised system, but was still on their records. A V5c arrived showing me as the first and only owner! This was closely followed by a letter saying I should return it because there was an error on it. Obviously I did nothing of the sort, but a few days later another V5c arrived with my name as keeper and, this time, my Uncle as the previous owner :D

1 hour ago, SiC said:

*Hnnnnnnngh*

1532928658_BoxsterOrderList.thumb.png.f846e4b3414c165f435f2da5a97aeb0e.png

Then labour on top. Porsche Tax basically. Non genuine bottles exist but its been advised many a time for your own sanity to not use them.

I was intending to do most of it myself and make a YouTube video on it once we move house. However I just want to use the car right now. My local garage said ok to the suspension work on the Boxster and I'm really hoping that they'll be happy to do the coolant tank too. No special tools are needed, apart from small and leathery thick hands maybe.

I'm hoping that in 2020 we'll have a bit of a road trip to South of France in it.

I’m planning a Poor Man’s Porsche repair series later in the year so if you have other jobs needing doing I’d be happy to help you out! Mine needs loads doing :-(  

3 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

I’m planning a Poor Man’s Porsche repair series later in the year so if you have other jobs needing doing I’d be happy to help you out! Mine needs loads doing :-(  

I was hoping to do a bunch of YouTube videos documenting changing the bits, but I was waiting to move house and have better facilities to do that. However that is taken forever (well over a year now since we started) and I feel a bit fed up at the moment. So I just want to go driving in it. My local garage  agreed to do the suspension previously, but I'm hoping that they'll agree to do the coolant bottle too.

What needs sorting on yours? Mine is coolant bottle + cap, front top mounts and ignition switch. Oh and could do with a service + aircon regas. Minor stuff really for the average 20 year old porker.

Top mounts (TBH it probably wants a full suspension overhaul at 137k), brakes, a CV boot, indicator stalk assembly, sill welding (I’ll get a garage to do that unless you fancy it? :D). Few other bits I can’t remember 

PAS pipes are hanging on by a thread - that’s not a DIY job without a ramp though.