The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 12/24/2019 at 6:12 PM, HillmanImp said:

Incidentally there's a guy I was racing against called OP_OMEGA_V8 which I assumed was nothing to do with Vauxhalls but I've looked and theres a whole section on Wiki about prototype V8 Omegas. So its been educational too. 

You know that Holden made cars and pickups that appear to have very similar profiles to the front half of the omega right ?

Just buy a Monaro and retrofit the front panels off an omega. I'm sure it would fit. 

Been out to do a 2 minute job changing the headlight bulb on the Subaru. 

Access was good, old bulb straight out, new bulb straight in, just need to clip it tigh.... 

IMG_20191227_154203.thumb.jpg.caf64088037f552aef485ee4b0b8c839.jpg

Fucksticks. The plastic holding the retaining clip had snapped. 

I remember L1 saying the other side had broken too. Had a look and it was cable tied so I've done the same but not before I'd dropped my phone and half a packet of cable ties into the engine bay. 

It then took me about 10 minutes to get the bonnet down as it wouldn't shut. Managed it eventually. Now worried its gonna just pop open when I'm driving it as it was so reluctant to shut. 

Now the new light is about 400 times brighter than the other side so I'll have to go back tomorrow to get another to cable tie it in again and no doubt face more shenanigans. 

28 minutes ago, loserone said:

Yeah, the cable tying was a bitch.  Not sure why the headlights do that, I guess they get hot and it degrades the plastic.  That bulb can't be that old either, they were both changed in May.

Plastic just degrades doesn't it. It's just standard as stuff gets older innit.

I've got a light restoration kit too to de-yellow the lights. Will try and do that over the next few days as well. 

Today is turning into a "one job leads to another" type of day... 

Decided to give the Bluebird some attention, discovered a damp spare wheel, traced to... Oh. Missing floor bung and an extra hole. And a spare wheel covered in rust. 

Cleaned up for now, wheel wirebrushed and kurusted, need to sort the boot floor out properly at some point. Sprayed the well with WD40 temporarily. 

Poking around the engine, oil filter is done up v tight and not much access for a grips style tool to remove, might splash out on a chain remover. 

IMG_20191227_171142.jpg

IMG_20191227_172056.jpg

35 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Plastic just degrades doesn't it. It's just standard as stuff gets older innit.

I've got a light restoration kit too to de-yellow the lights. Will try and do that over the next few days as well. 

We drove past a bloke using a restoration kit and drill polisher on a S-type jag this afternoon.

More messing about with the Mini today. It kept wanting to stall when the revs were allowed to return to idle Although it would always recover before it cut out manoevering was a pain in the arse because the issue made it too easy to stall without riding the clutch a lot.

Unhelpfully, it doesn't have a separate Idle Control Valve, everything is integral to the throttle body so all I could do was clean it up.

Quite a bit of trunking had to be removed. The smaller box is some sort of resonator.

20191227_091452.thumb.jpg.d3e3ef232452c303ceb632e7ac07ee67.jpg

Theres a surprisingly large about of room round the back of the engine with all of that removed. Throttle body sits under the bog pipe on the left.

20191227_091459.thumb.jpg.e66924783e5a6c575c2244da373e0438.jpg

The butterfly area was fairly clean however I gave it a few passes of brake cleaner anyway.

I accidentally stripped the thread of the tiny bolt holding on that useless resonator box (it's before the main air cleaner) so it's now cable tied in. Might replace it with plain pupe if I can be bothered.

The fall to idle seems much smoother now.

Ordered a MAF sensor too however the car doesn't have one (only Turbo models do) hopefully I'll get a refund of some sort.

20191227_093853.jpg

5 minutes ago, DVee8 said:

We drove past a bloke using a restoration kit and drill polisher on a S-type jag this afternoon.

Thats the sort of think I've got. Think it was about £15 from ECP. 

Will be careful to keep it very wet when sanding, my mate burnt the lenses in his Boxster doing it. 

11 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

More messing about with the Mini today. It kept wanting to stall when the revs were allowed to return to idle Although it would always recover before it cut out manoevering was a pain in the arse because the issue made it too easy to stall without riding the clutch a lot.

Unhelpfully, it doesn't have a separate Idle Control Valve, everything is integral to the throttle body so all I could do was clean it up.

Cars haven't had Idle Control Valves for years. Pretty much everything that is a fly-by-wire throttle body doesn't have one. 

Does the car have a clutch switch?  I know some cars have it not just for cruise but also to tell the ECU that there is a substantial load decrease coming because the clutch pedal is down. Then not to overreact from loosing that load. 

Sisters poxy rotten transit update:

50 mile round trip to collect a new starter motor this morning.

Would have been the afternoon if the ecp guy hadnt phoned ,and woke me up, to tell me they shut at 6pm instead of 8.

Bit of a struggle to fit the new starter until I got to the ignition feed to the starter. Last connection and the ring terminal fell off before I even touched it.

Trip to my buddy to borrow a box full of useful conectors. Pretty shoddy repair but it was the best I could do due to access issues.

Then the poxy top bolt on the starter wouldn't go in.

1 1/2 hours into darkness relying on my phone balancing on my forehead and I'm done.

In more ways than one!

Giving my sister 2 bills

One at realistic garage rates and one with just parts and a £43 bottle of whiskey.

Wonder which one she will want to pay?

Ps van starts and runs obvs

8 hours ago, hairymel said:

Transit guilt trip payment update :

brother in law has paid the parts and whiskey bill and tried to add an extra tenner which was refused.

sister has asked if I am in at 7 tommorrow night for a 'delivery'

I'm hoping for strippers

*wire type obviously

*not obviously but still hoping?

The delivery will be parts for you to service it! ?

15 hours ago, SiC said:

Idle Control Valve.

Does the car have a clutch switch? 

Indeed, only my Corsa left on the fleet which has one as it's cable throttle.

No idea on the clutch switch but good shout, I'll check that, cheers.

No refund on the MAF sensor as its outside 30 day return period. 

Double Family visitation complete. (Two trips from North Wales to Stratford-on-Avon one either side of Christmas)  

Another 700 trouble free miles in the 9000, meaning it’s now nearly at 199,000. Probably due a service, so might do that this week. 

6C09E227-4014-4210-B6CA-A564DAE22121.jpeg