The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well the strut top replacement on the V70 hasn't exactly been a roaring success.  It seems to have lost the death wobble through the steering, even when driven at mildly illegal speeds down thunderously shit back roads, but it's still clonking like a bastard over bumps.  I'm still debating whether to buy a replacement spring seat piece and fit it myself, which involves scary spring compressors (which I don't own but can borrow off a mate) or buy a complete secondhand leg off eBay - there's always the risk that a used leg won't be a lot better than the one I've got, and it's also a bit more expensive to do it that way, but on the plus side it's a 30-minute job to just swap legs over.  We shall see.  For an MOT it also needs the nearside rear door looking at (won't open at all), the handbrake is pants and the rear silencer has fallen off - plus whatever else MOT man finds.  On the plus side it seems mechanically fine and still GLF when asked.  But at the end of the day it's a battered 18-year-old Volvo with 270K on the clock so not worth spending vast sums of money on.

My attempt to bleed the clutch on the Sonata was also a failure - I couldn't get the bleed nipple undone.  They're a concentric slave cylinder on these which lives inside the bellhousing, but there's a bleed nipple at the end of a bit of pipe that sticks out through the bellhousing.  Problem is that said pipe feels a tad flimsy, and the bleed nipple is rather tight, so I'm pretty sure the pipe would have snapped before the nipple came loose.  Ho hum.  Guess I won't be driving it down to my parents' at Christmas then - it'd be a right twat if I got caught in traffic.

On a more positive note, the seat cover I bought for the Elantra arrived and has been fitted - it's a decent fit and definitely takes the chill off the leather when it's cold (as it was today).  Also the sat nav in the 75 has started working again.  And my washing machine randomly decided it was going to work today, which saved me a trip to the launderette and £4.50 - I'm leaving it switched on now as it seems that once it's on and behaving itself, it will continue to behave until it's switched off again.  I don't understand washing machines.

15 hours ago, egg said:

@stuboy - hate that roundabout - it is easy to be in the wrong lane. But still awful driving!

It is a  bit of a twat and when I used to do it regularly you'd see shit like this fairly often.  I still maintain that the Whitfield roundabout is worse (where the last McDonald's before Dover is) but that's to do with the lorries jumping in front of cars randomly.  Seen a fair few closures and recoveries there and nearly come a cropper myself...

Today I saw a car that I really, really, want. Unfortunately it wasn't for sale but coming the other way on the road. It was a Mitsouka Galue, never seen one in the metal before and it confirms that they are just as shonky as I thought, but in an acceptable/different way. I was outbid on a cheap ish one on Ebay a while back, they do seem to ask silly money for them when they come up for sale, so I'll have to keep a look out.

Just looked on ebay, there's one for £7k, I'm out (for now)

My Mrs. came in from work at 2pm and said 'A lorry full of Brussels sprouts has crashed'.  I stopped what I was doing to listen to what she was going to say next, expecting her to carry on with one of her Christmas jokes.

But, 

imxjtOy.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-50811266

There's probably a joke in there somewhere, - 'spilled all over the cabbageway', etc,.

1 minute ago, JeeExEll said:

My Mrs. came in from work at 2pm and said 'A lorry full of brussels sprouts has crashed'.  I stopped what I was doing to listen to what she was going to say next, expecting her to carry on with one of her Christmas jokes.

imxjtOy.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-50811266

Bloody hell. At least no one was hurt. 

On the left, a rear wiper motor for a ph.1 Peugeot 106, of c.1993 vintage.

On the right, a rear wiper motor for a ph.1* Peugeot 106 c. 1994 vintage - but it's different enough that I can't swap it for the one on the left without butchery to the wiring. Fiddlesticks.

* from now on, I'm calling it a ph. 1.5...

20191216_181638.jpg

9 hours ago, M'coli said:

On the left, a rear wiper motor for a ph.1 Peugeot 106, of c.1993 vintage.

On the right, a rear wiper motor for a ph.1* Peugeot 106 c. 1994 vintage - but it's different enough that I can't swap it for the one on the left without butchery to the wiring. Fiddlesticks.

* from now on, I'm calling it a ph. 1.5...

The early one is Peugeot 6405 87 (- UNTIL - 1996) the next is 6405 C2 (- SINCE - 1996) and restyle is 6405 C4. ;)

Mibbie the right one is from a newer tailgate than 1994...

Hahahaha Just noticed on the volvo pic. My van doesn't turn the lights off after locking it for a minute or so. They are shining straight into bin woman's bedroom window. She'll wonder what he fuck I'm doing at 6am, and she'll think I'm doing it on purpose. Taking pics for the dash at night thread won't really cut it ?

5 hours ago, Eddie Honda said:

The early one is Peugeot 6405 87 (- UNTIL - 1996) the next is 6405 C2 (- SINCE - 1996) and restyle is 6405 C4. ;)

Mibbie the right one is from a newer tailgate than 1994...

Nope, I've got two of them, both from 1994-5 cars... that said, the red one's tailgate is from a different model to what it's fitted to but the same model as the one on the right.

There are however enough little differences between the older car and this one to make the distinction between them - but they're not there to change the car other than to make it more usable for RHD use or to save Peugeot a handful of centimes every time a component is fitted.