The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Saab threw up a nice message on the way to work this morning saying COOLANT LEVEL LOW, PLEASE REFILL causing a mild case of brown trousers. Pulled over to check and the level was spot on, then again once parked up. It does have a fault with the coolant temp sensor which may be/I hope is related, it reads cold unless the car's on a decent run . Have ordered one and will attempt to fit at the weekend. Emergency coolant on standby ?

16 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Also the 75's sat nav has stopped working - it's either saying it doesn't recognise the DVD or it gets stuck on "Please wait a moment".  Not quite sure what's wrong with it, although I suspect the DVD is a non-genuine copy so might have worn out - I'll try buying a new disc off eBay as they're only about a tenner - if I have to replace the DVD unit again that's 50 quid plus for a secondhand one.

Mine does that...

I have a map.

New front tyres fitted to the 406 today.

20191211_152651.thumb.jpg.483f729df58ff83bd49e28a3f9e8e236.jpg

I'm sure the old ones didn't look this bulbous, but they're the same 195/65s. At this point I'd normally say it's an improvement, but the steering doesn't feel quite so precise now, plus I had an understeer moment this evening on a roundabout.  It could've just been a slippery bit as it's damp and cold this evening.  Or perhaps wearing new tyres in isn't a load of cock after all, but I've never had to do so in the past.  Will see how it goes at the weekend, as I'm off to Bournemouth on Saturday so that'll be a 300 mile round trip.

Also a rare moment of togetherness, as my stuff is normally dotted all over the place and parked on street.  The gooner parking on the piss was remedied as it was bothering me.

20191211_153411.thumb.jpg.5cb6ca8eee98a9a4c1f7681883bb4b53.jpg

It depends on the tyre how noticeable it is, but breaking them in isn't a myth. They need a little wear and a few heat cycles to get rid of the release agents from the rubber.
It's particularly noticeable on a damp road too.
Give it around a hundred miles and they should hopefully feel a bit different.
Agreed. Had a couple of new Toyo Proxes CF2 put on the 620 last week. Reviews said gr8 handling in the wet. Roads damp. Turned out of the fitters, wheelspin city. Felt a million times worse than the ditch finders they replaced. Did a run down to Derby and back and felt really bouncy. Done 50 or so miles and they are great now. Felt super steady in torrential rain yesterday, rather than comical understeer with the death rings.

Yep. Me too. Traction control saved the day with my wet grip A rated rainsports on the back, giving zero wet grip for the first 30 miles. 

Pulled out of the tyre place, in front of moving traffic, applied 200 bhp. Which was retuned to 5 bhp. 

2 hours ago, jamiechod said:

to be fair those tyres on the 406 look like an example of the Chinese ditchfinders with the comical names we have a thread on here for, so its to be expected really.

They are far from it. They are Vredestein (Dutch) http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/T-Trac-2.htm

They just have a habit of big fucking model names on the sidewalls - I've had/have Snowtrac 3s on my Volvo. Shit to a blanket at this time of year.

6542821967_b423f5a461_c.jpg

DSCF4623.JPG by E Honda, on Flickr

The only thing I will say about the T-Trac 2s there is that they are T-rated. I would have gone for H-rated Sportracs.

I'm on a work outing, left Glasgow yesterday headed for Inverness in the 205 of win. Decided to take the scenic A82 route. The drive through Glencoe never gets old and with the low window line of the 205 you really feel like you're in amongst it. 

IMG_20191211_142740654_HDR.thumb.jpg.4a26ee9f61d5d606dcb254166a0d7f1b.jpg

From here I'm heading across to Aberdeen to stay the night, work there tomorrow and down the road on Friday. The 205 isn't bad at distance and was great fun on the twisty sections. The fact you're driving pretty much flat out most of the time makes it all the more fun. 

3 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-50754865

Who knew scrap dealers were honest 

The other £390,000 they also found in the safes in notes that didn't need to be taken to the BoE to be changed into legal tender will be kept though....

The 416GTi I got off RobT also had Vredesteins and they were good. 
The 306 is on two Nankangs, a Hankook and some other Chinese thing, and tbh they really aren't bad. 

I really don't have any news for you all car wise at the moment. The Jag continues to be effortlessly reliable and expenditure is still £0, though I am thinking about treating it to new plugs and leads when I can afford it as I'm suspicious it's misfiring, though pushbikes are a priority at the moment. 

306 is immensely dependable too, I've done about 1750 miles in it in a month. No issues to report at all.

There is a certain Nankang tyre that is all the rage at the moment. Forget the model name but it is getting rave reviews as excellent tyres. 

I personally wouldn't touch them though. Especially as the premium brands have got a lot more competitive recently on price. Probably because too many people are going for the cheapest now.  

On 12/11/2019 at 8:55 PM, Eyersey1234 said:

Early Christmas present from my OH, I'm looking forward to it already. 

15760976495352321097932307174732.jpg

im trying not to buy the air pod indoor skydiving thing - bought one for smol nephew coupla years ago and keep meaning to have a go but massive poulet :D