The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

FINALLY removed The Aero's sump. Took me longer than I expected, as I'd forgotten to remove one bolt, but it came off easily after that:

photo_2019-12-07_11-12-45.thumb.jpg.a2cf939ff93b0d28fbce14d175183cb0.jpg

BLACK

photo_2019-12-07_11-13-31.thumb.jpg.7a82af47b51d9543b5d16b2decccba85.jpg

Oil pickup strainer didn't look too bad.

photo_2019-12-07_11-14-27.thumb.jpg.fc7a37aa995bbb47f23dfaa3d8cd7d0f.jpg

FFS! The sludge you see was just the tip of the iceberg, as it were. Underneath the remaining oil, there was even more.

photo_2019-12-07_11-15-11.thumb.jpg.7a2c28086f59ff1b7fa7f6d9212d80c7.jpg

I think I saved the day by dropping the sump. I reckon that the engine would have been wrecked fairly quickly if I'd carried on driving the car after it started to exhibit symptoms of a blocked oil pickup strainer last month.

I cleaned the sump, baffle plate and oil pickup strainer with foaming oven cleaner followed by Elbow Grease degreaser, both of which did a grand job of cleaning them, as you can see:

photo_2019-12-07_15-52-35.thumb.jpg.b11e8e03abf7141ae8ec92ef11348070.jpg

photo_2019-12-07_15-52-43.thumb.jpg.89a2601aa804e3ead1bdabcfe4d8ee51.jpg

photo_2019-12-07_15-49-35.thumb.jpg.d7736a1bddc09844e8c10fd950540471.jpg

Going to refit the sump tomorrow and put the car back together, with a view to putting it back into daily use from Monday. Hopefully, it will be easier to reassemble than it was to dismantle.

Ive less than 300 miles on the Astra until  it hits 200K miles! 

I plan on treating her to a full tank of Shell V-POWWAH diesel to celebrate! Which funny enough she'll be due a tank roughly as 200 rolls along! I should hit that by the end of the year, one way or another! 

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Where are the two holes Shep? Have you filled 'em up?

They're in a cast-in strengthener on the gearbox end of the sump and have no bearing on the oil retention properties of the sump. I'm probably going to leave them open, as I don't think they will cause any problems if I do. If need be, I'll seal them with aluminium tape.

Did a little bit of low-key fettling this afternoon.

Had wanted to swap the cat out on the 420 as its incorporated heat shield rattles like a bastard. Stubborn rusty bolts holding it to the front pipe stopped play (intermediate bolts came off lovely). 

Fitted new parcel shelf speaker covers acquired from Looms earlier today to the 620 - two  minute job.

Went to fit the rear head rests to the 214 but quickly realised a major flaw in my cunning plan - no holes for head rests.....d'oh !

Took off knackered window winder on 420 nsr, but bad light stopped play, so will finish off tomorrow.

If time allows tomorrow, will be fiddling around with the handbrake on the 820 as it's a bit too loose for my liking.

I've got to get back out under the zx today. Where I amended the position of the back box hangers to try and fit the zx cat to a 306 exhaust system. Now it's back with its original cat I need to amend them some more as the back box sits too high and fouls the rear bumper. Causing no damage, but it's FUCKING annoying as all I can hear now is the vibration! 

Bit early for the big hammer though 

Talked myself out of the job. Remembered that I was shit scared of snapping a hangar off the backbox the first time, now I've got to bash them up away from the weld. 

Decided on a plan B and bought 2 extra long hangars to provide the drop

Screenshot_20191208_103803_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.90e49804a66bca5b25782d5ee330bb71.jpg

(£4.something each, not £9 for 1). Red and poly too, must be 10 horses in that? 

After two hours of spannering, The Aero is once again a functioning car. No oil leaks, broken bits, leftover parts or strange noises from the engine. Disaster averted! I'm really looking forward to driving the car again and making full use of its performance in due course ^^

Getting the car back on the road is a huge weight off my mind. Not only have I saved a great car from certain death, I can use it as a daily driver again, which is handy, as The Volvo is going in for an MOT tomorrow...

Video time!  No idea what the screech is, but the car has always done it when started from cold, and it's never got any worse. It started first time, too. Not bad after not being run for a month. The smoke is penetrating oil burning off the exhaust manifold and downpipe.

Productive morning changing the thermostat on the Saab, now sits rock steady in the middle of the gauge, previously lucky to get a reading, now to change oil and filter it I can get the sump nut undone, feels like it's been done up by Geoff Capes..ea4aaef5f1d9071fee21db216a6150ac.jpgb316c9f59055dc8db647b93905443db0.jpg242c84bd8cebec93820d4044a83661a0.jpg9c8a23419d8b7cdad9c7e7c285e4b1f7.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Got absolutely wankered last night on my works do, brilliant night out.

Yesterday I picked up a new kick start lever for the Vespa. It had rounded off and it was a bit of a gamble as was worried the shaft itself might be knackered. Anyhow, £10 for a brand new lever sorted it, the old one was a right bastard to get off, involving swearing/hacksaw/swearing/crowbar. A short video clip of its maiden flight since buying it, apols for the truly dreadful quality*

Also, the Lambretta's (new) clutch started slipping again, so took it back to garage who discovered some back plate thing was very loose. 2 hours labour and fingers crossed it seems ok now.

Talking about pipes and how I like the upswept Micron style exhausts and a lad at the garage offered me a Fresco (iirc) power pipe, which is mega tempting. Need to replace the carb at the same time, they recommended a Scootopia 22 mil one to replace the standard one, as they're supposed to be much better in all departments and are 'fit and forget' they reckon.

This thing is never going to be the fastest one out there but there is actually no better sound in the world than a 2T with an aftermarket pipe going full chat or on shutting the throttle down.

Having a pre-house move clear out and found this V5 in a manual. It’s a crappy Princess I owned, raced and scrapped many years ago.  The mot fail doesn’t look too bad but it really was hanging! 

Is it of any use to anyone? 

5ACC6E39-0553-4FD9-B47E-B2EA9EF0BDE4.jpeg

7D0384C3-584F-4BB5-A618-435EC37DA86D.jpeg

Sat in a very posh hotel in Edinburgh, awaiting food.

Down here for the week for training. The room has a king sized bed and overall is equivalent to a small flat. This is well beyond my station!

It even has a great view. It's up a big hill near Murrayfield.

43 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Just about to leave for the office Christmas do. Scenes of gluttony and enforced jollity* now follow 

Your work do is on a Sunday? Do they pay you to attend? Here at Scrooge industries we may have a pub meal next week if we can fit it in.

88E934A4-FDAF-4463-8AA8-75C26EB7EADD.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

No. But last year, I paid for it!

I have declined tomorrow’s invite to the drinks do at the mansion house ( as the call it, in France it would be the chateau) as work is going on. I expect to be stopped on the drive on the way home by the armed fuzz.

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Luckily I'm just a contractor and don't get invited to Xmas lunch.

Bloody relief.

I've been invited for drinks with my colleagues at my local Wetherspoons the Saturday before Christmas, but I hate Wetherspoons and all it stands for, so I wouldn't patronise any of their pubs even if I was dying of thirst. I'm going to visit my parents in east Kent instead.

34 minutes ago, Yoss said:

So what did CUV 478C come from? It's nearly a Routemaster reg, they stopped at CUV 363C.

Ditto had to do a double take! especially as Routemasters used the rectangular at the front and square at the back

but realised CUV478C is just after the last of the C Reg RMLs as you say (next being JJD364D) and also Routemasters tend to have painted/transfer "plates" rather then actual number plates

should of left a comment at the time!

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

Having a pre-house move clear out and found this V5 in a manual. It’s a crappy Princess I owned, raced and scrapped many years ago.  The mot fail doesn’t look too bad but it really was hanging! 

Is it of any use to anyone? 

5ACC6E39-0553-4FD9-B47E-B2EA9EF0BDE4.jpeg

7D0384C3-584F-4BB5-A618-435EC37DA86D.jpeg

one for the wegistier cc @vulgalour ?

but regardless its always interesting to see old V5s and study them :) (like i noticed theres no wheel plan recorded but its down as 2 Axle rigid body on the DVLA checker)

but I recommend hiding the VRM better I was able to figure it out, even without my tool to search for it via the VIN! (because I tried to look it up via the VIN just out of sheer curiosity, and was getting no results, so figured out the reg from your photos to see just what the hell the VIN was on the DVLA database turned that its GJ not 6J its just not that clear in the photo)

I dont recommend using the pen marker thing to hide details in a photo as it is slightly transparent still! 

if you want to complete the cycle on it, you could tick the "I Have scrapped the vehicle" thing and send that slip/V5 off to the DVLA, as there's currently no scrapped marker against it

Mild and dry weather meant I had the opportunity to take the '88 Sunny out today, about 40 miles of dad's taxi duties. It was as charming to drive as ever.

It would have been nice to get that LS400 in the autumn, but I'd have to have put more effort into selling the Sunny and I'm glad I didn't. It has a distinctive character which offers something different to my old Datsuns and newer, '90s onwards stuff.

Datsuns are hiding in the garage and for the first time I've let the Laurel's MoT lapse and stuck it on SORN for the winter. It has been in and out a bit though as I've needed to use the garage space for other jobs. 1200's battery is flat, must get it charged so I can take advantage of any decent weather on the unsalted country lanes.

Still nothing done about the Camry - may as well take it for an MoT once things get quieter next month, then that'll force a decision one way or the other.

Had an enjoyable drive in the modern Lexus on quiet roads the other night. A journey that usually take 1hr 20 was knocked off in just over an hour, yet it was still very relaxed and calm.

30 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I have declined tomorrow’s invite to the drinks do at the mansion house ( as the call it, in France it would be the chateau) as work is going on. I expect to be stopped on the drive on the way home by the armed fuzz.

Got to be worth going , just in case big Bruv. Is there, after al he's got bugger all else to do. You could get him talking after a few Advocaats, record it then get an SM on the proceeds from the tabloids.

6 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Got to be worth going , just in case big Bruv. Is there, after al he's got bugger all else to do. You could get him talking after a few Advocaats, record it then get an SM on the proceeds from the tabloids.

As mentioned the drink is rubbish. Mulled wine or Heineken last year. It’s a nice idea, and everyone is very polite, but it’s rather stilted. I need to work late anyway, so an excuse not to go.

055861C2-C588-4D22-A0CE-CCC248851819.jpeg

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Sat in a very posh hotel in Edinburgh, awaiting food.

Down here for the week for training. The room has a king sized bed and overall is equivalent to a small flat. This is well beyond my station!

It even has a great view. It's up a big hill near Murrayfield.

Leonardo Hotel, Clermiston Road?