The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The modern Korado has shat it's radiator out, blotting an otherwise spotless copybook.  £600+vat to fix because dealer only part innit m9 (+7-8 weeks lead time on the part from Korea), so off the road it goes for a good long think about it's behaviour.

This of course means that the search for a suitable WBOD is now on. The primary candidate so far is a 2002 Peugeot 607 2.2 hdi with 197k on the clock and 6 months test for £450… wcpgw?? (Apart from emissions, electrics, general Frenchness, etc)

10 minutes ago, LabRat said:

The modern Korado has shat it's radiator out, blotting an otherwise spotless copybook.  £600+vat to fix because dealer only part innit m9 (+7-8 weeks lead time on the part from Korea), so off the road it goes for a good long think about it's behaviour.

What about taking down to a good old fashioned radiator repair place? If you can find one that is. 

I've tried a couple of radiator places round here who laughed like drains and sent me back to the dealers.

Not sure why; it looks to be a fairly boggo radiator. Currently searching the web to see if it's the same type as a Hyundai/Kia. Made by Korea Delphi apparently, but I doubt it would just be fitted to Ssangyongs surely? 

2 hours ago, LabRat said:

I've tried a couple of radiator places round here who laughed like drains and sent me back to the dealers.

Not sure why; it looks to be a fairly boggo radiator. Currently searching the web to see if it's the same type as a Hyundai/Kia. Made by Korea Delphi apparently, but I doubt it would just be fitted to Ssangyongs surely? 

There's a place in Ellesmere Port who did an excellent job of the one on the XJS.

18 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

There's a place in Ellesmere Port who did an excellent job of the one on the XJS.

Would that be Cropper and Jones? I've dropped them an email, hopefully they can help. 

May still end up with a winter snotter for a few months at this rate, but at least it won't be quite so dire!

3 hours ago, LabRat said:

You may well laugh, but as a last (first) resort.  This stuff works well on Stock cars, providing you can see the leak.

Small pellet and push it right in.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUIKSTEEL-X1-ONE-QUICKSTEEL-STEEL-REINFORCED-EPOXY-REPAIR-PUTTY-FREE-POST/322402054860?epid=20009500619&hash=item4b10a8f2cc:g:KUUAAOSwjDZYiMvj

Cheaper versions may well be available.

Do not use it if you intend to solder the leak, but if they are laughing what have you got to lose?

9 hours ago, Shep Shepherd said:

photo_2019-12-01_11-53-19.jpg

Due to the holes, the remaining two bolts can be felt with my fingers and therefore should be easy enough to remove and refit. Quite what I'm going to use to cover the holes I have no idea. I'll work something out. 

Like SIC says wodge the removed bits back on with tigerwob, or for a less bodgy finish clean up the apertures after you remove the sump and make little closing plates from aluminium or steel sheet and drill and tap fixing holes.

2 hours ago, LabRat said:

Would that be Cropper and Jones? I've dropped them an email, hopefully they can help. 

May still end up with a winter snotter for a few months at this rate, but at least it won't be quite so dire!

Yes, that's them. Decent outfit, been going for years.

Went for a walk, found this. Found out it's for sale for £1500. I can now think about nothing else.

EKvAHrYUUAAC3c_?format=jpg&name=small 

Yes, it's that Holden that had the Nissan engine. Full RB30 goodness in this one. Bit too reliable really, so Holden made a complete hash of the cooling system to ensure Ford could still compete.  ?

10 hours ago, egg said:

My Mondeo front plate is getting more and more delaminated. This is Feb 2016 when I first got it (it was much better then)

DSCF8850.thumb.JPG.65a2607be8b773dfd43ee965bee7d4db.JPG

Now there's no DMB, I'm seeing A1 Show plates are recommended by Brownnova. Do you think it's ok?

?order_no=5DE4225B04FDE&id=1610134

Crap I’m afraid, that’s the post 2001 font! Having said that, I think the A1 guy on Facebook can do the correct font as I’m sure I’ve seen some of his work before. Needs a better script font and Ford logos too. Worth asking?

My Royale has its original plates and the front one is in really poor condition, cracked and delaminated! In the absence of DMB I’m not sure I trust anyone else to replicate exactly so I’m just ignoring it (it will be MoT exempt soon anyway). 

I think there’s also a company called Fancyplates that at least do three different old font styles that are the correct size. Would be worth forgoing the Ford logos etc for the correct font imo.

6 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Crap I’m afraid, that’s the post 2001 font! Having said that, I think the A1 guy on Facebook can do the correct font as I’m sure I’ve seen some of his work before. Needs a better script font and Ford logos too. Worth asking?

My Royale has its original plates and the front one is in really poor condition, cracked and delaminated! In the absence of DMB I’m not sure I trust anyone else to replicate exactly so I’m just ignoring it (it will be MoT exempt soon anyway). 

I think there’s also a company called Fancyplates that at least do three different old font styles that are the correct size. Would be worth forgoing the Ford logos etc for the correct font imo.

Cheers Dicky, that is supposed to be their pre-2000 (why not 2001?) font....I'll check them out on facebook.

I looked at Fancyplates fonts, and I'm not keen on any of theirs either.

I wish that I'd bought front and rear from DMB, rather than just rear. False economy, time has proven.

The V70 started showing signs that the in tank pump was about to die last week (ran out of fuel at half a tank) so I bit the bullet and bought a new one. It turned up today and I got to work fitting it.

The job went surprisingly well and the new pump was quickly fitted. With the tank totally empty the fuel gauge still shows just above the red instead of empty. I swapped over the passenger side sender for a spare and it’s still the same.  I’ll just have to live with it and fill up when it’s 1/4 full. 

Incidentally the araldite repair I did last time was still holding, turns out araldite can take immersion in diesel! 

D4777780-920A-41FD-888B-761D9F098FB1.jpeg

1A13E9F9-B885-4C60-8EEE-F921979C4681.jpeg

Managed to remove The Aero's remaining sump bolts via the holes I created when I got home from work today using a 13mm 1/4 inch drive socket augmented with a smol extension bar and an equally smol universal joint. The sump remains in situ though, due to some very tenacious gasket sealant holding it very firmly in place. I think that a judicious application of a rubber mallet, a big block of wood and some wooden wedges will set it free at the weekend ?

I really need to wake up a bit more before I set off for work. This morning was not a repeat of slippergate (looking down while driving to work to see that I have my carpet slippers on).

This time I nearly lost the car while de-icing it. It all started so well, I took some warm water out to pour over the screen, started the car but stupidly put the wipers on. Lovely smeared ice over the screen so I got out to pour some more water on the screen, at this point I noticed the car rolling down the drive, luckily I managed to get in and pull the handbrake on preventing the car going straight across the road into a neighbour's car. Unfortunately I also chucked the jug of water in the footwell in my panic. I have no recollection of releasing the handbrake so am now wondering if the car had sat there all night without rolling away.