The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just bought two Yoko Bluearth's for just over £50 a corner fitted at my favourite place (the one that was happy to mess about with rusty Invacar rims). Bit extravagant as I'm a little brassic at the mo? Maybe, but I'm doing 300 odd miles a week taking my DD (Darling Daughter, mumsnet speak) to school at the mo and will be using the Mazda all winter, so what price safety*?

By my hilt! Mine Mini R56 doth not relent on its mockery of my onslaught of futile determination to maketh it walk to heel.

"Hai hai monkey boy!", it didst bray this een as I approached. "Hast thou employed that feckless pot-smoking quart-boy who works at the Cornhill Tavern to fetch car parts?" "Thou hast taken delivery of an o2 sensor with the wrong plug". "Only a halfling wouldst make a dog's tail of such a task. Wait till thy wife finds out that her conveyance doth be stricken for 2 more days whenst you schlep morrow-west to Eurocarparts to be relieved of another 100 gilts". "HAHAHAHA!"

"Aye", chimeth in the 172 "Thon Split_Pin hath not a pot to piss in since signing the affidavit to Gordy-boy of Rumford and taking ownership of ye moronic Mini".

But I hadst a quip up my green sleeve for I retorted "Pipeth down 172 for you have relieved me of half -and-three of my treasury upon acquiring a new subframe and lower arms". "Desist your pish or its off to Sports Car Breakers of Newbridge on the next barge-cart brought past by Wullie Macintosh of Allparts".

And so to bed.

535i roffle winner CortinaDave with his winnings.

20191119_224159.thumb.jpg.babf7bde8b44d1133560a8a5c12a2490.jpg

I drove it up to Edinburgh today, as I thought it unfair to inflict the questionable cooling system on him for a 420 mile trip.  I've sort of got the measure of the thing now.  Took me 12 hours as I was stuck for 2 hours on a shut A14 near Huntingdon due to a bad crash, plus an hour stop when I had an overheat near Darlington.  Buttock clenching moment but fortunately I was at a junction with a pez station.  Copious amounts of water applied and it was fine afterwards, so there's definitely a leak somewhere hidden away.

Apart from that I enjoyed the trip as it does eat the miles well, and managed 29.4mpg.  Early flight home tomorrow, and then I'm working from home thankfully!

T'other day, while in the grip of depression over the crack in my front bumper, I ordered (don't laugh) some splitter things to go on the edges of the bumper and make it look 'race car' while also 'repairing' the crack.

Anyhoo, I properly repaired the front bumper with Araldite and mesh and so it is solid and invisible (unless you lay under the front) so they were not needed.... but could be fun and make it look... 'racecar'

After several e-mails from the post office to say when they were being delivered but not needed to sign for (never had that before got me all hopeful that it was my wood dash from foreign parts) they arrived this morning. I duly attempted to put them on the car.  They are MASSIVE and rather than 'racecer'  think 'snow plough' so they are sat on the chair doing nothing, I am considering fitting them to the fridge/freezer to make it chill stuff faster.

On 11/18/2019 at 11:26 PM, richardmorris said:

No, but have staked an interest in a traction that should be the right price and new clutch with a high compression ds engine. Main negative is the  colour - two tone green.

Pffft!!

image.png

image.png

Sorted.

?

Replaced the o2 sensor on the Mini. Took it a decent test drive and the EML stayed off and it didn't cut out.

However after the car has been sitting switched off for about 10-15 minutes, once you start driving again, after about 5 minutes, it starts chugging and lurching. Lifting off and reapplying the throttle clears it. These are some of the symptoms which were occurring before. Damn.

As there are no codes thrown, I am suspecting suspecting MAF sensor but that's nothing more than a guess. 

Recently the Acclaim has been playing a new game wherein it looses all electrical systems randomly, usually when first starting.

Presumably a bad battery connection, I may have to look at it given it died as I was trying to exit the Clyde Tunnel today and I shat myself a bit when I realised I was rolling uphill with no drive or lights with traffic behind me...

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

The volvo has been sitting for a week and a half (I knew I didn't need a car). Started 1st time and I took it to tescos. Lovely machine and fast as fuck. I feel I'm just not going to use it. Anyone like to buy it? @Jim Bell? Nice and local.

@paulplom

Thanks for the offer man but I've just bought something worse from another shitter who's much further away. 

What a treat it was to see this today. You see some right old rammel out in Fenland Cambridgeshire. 

Not being driven in an ironic fashion, it was owned by the typical fen farmer type with a stupid hat and about 5 teeth. 

AF338933-4B6E-46CB-916E-E0A3D30809FA.thumb.jpeg.e994fc5de9d3977c4ca306f26e6f4ec8.jpeg

A van! It does about 200 miles a year by the looks of things, so it was a stroke of luck that I even saw it!

I’d love something like this - good clear coat over the body and just use. 

The dented Saab was called back into action after a few weeks rest, it repaid me by having no dash lights for the first 10 minutes of my journey in the dark, and then spluttering as if it was running out of fuel in a pub car park... It's also covered in Birdshit now... 

537A17EB-C196-42BE-A091-2F857C2896F6.jpeg

Still can't find a replacement door which isn't a 2 hour drive away!

On 11/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, richardmorris said:

I don't have many details, but at our local 2CV meeting last night I was asked by my mechanic friend if I knew anyone who would want a late Citroen BX turbo diesel? very good condition about 100K and in black. I'll get more info if anyone is interested.

I do really fancy a BX next... might need to get rid of one of the Saabs first though.