The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 11/9/2019 at 9:04 AM, jamiechod said:

Fitted some new wheels to the wife's tt, she said thanks but they look shit. What do you think? 

20191109_085025.jpg

I think the designer of the car will be thinking "That looks shit"

I think the chassis design team will be thinking "That will be shit"

I think they look shit. 

And I'm pretty sure that functionally they will do nothing for the ride or handling. 

We really need a before picture.

2 hours ago, New POD said:

I think the designer of the car will be thinking "That looks shit"

I think the chassis design team will be thinking "That will be shit"

I think they look shit. 

And I'm pretty sure that functionally they will do nothing for the ride or handling. 

We really need a before picture.

They're long gone now back on its original ones 

Got a few jobs done today:

First, parked up the Bini in the naughty corner.

Tried out my new o2 sensor socket:

20191115_092652.thumb.jpg.ad99302e80065df45a27e6b93def0995.jpg

Works well and access is just the right angle to get an extension and breaker bar on it.

Some bracketry needs to be removed to get access to the plug on the loom.

20191115_093607.thumb.jpg.1d4a514f8cea7212e6c833bfdd1a1736.jpg20191115_093611.thumb.jpg.b0069b8ab65f8b63f2ad47b74d422763.jpg

Doesn't look too sooty, 12 years of exhaust and some oil puffs will have tired it out. I'm keeping it as a spare however.

20191115_093938.thumb.jpg.be2cc54859bcd1deb2099f65f781f1ad.jpg

Just waiting on the new sensor arriving now.

Mrs_Pin is back in the Clio again, bad times when an R56 is backed up by a 172!

Got a 2nd hand door seal for the Audi. This is where it was leaking, right on the join twixt hood and pillar.20191111_165307.thumb.jpg.f9712c0a7c06dcd85f55e51f6907dbd1.jpg

Had to undo this screw:

20191115_100424.thumb.jpg.a1c46ba10a22be86afd4bc6b98185c12.jpg

Old one came off easy enough.

20191115_101122.thumb.jpg.65ec0214cbab75c4a16b5ad3cac5f495.jpg

Managed not to break this plastic membrane inside the old seal as the replacement one didnt have it.

20191115_101111.thumb.jpg.804dfd98d17daf8d9d3243a6f0f73628.jpg

You can see the thin flange (quiet at the back)  which is warped and split on the old seal on the left:

20191115_101322.thumb.jpg.a99ae5364c8eaf007ef49889265ccdcc.jpg

The new one was an absolute hoor to get on though, I had to get in touch with my inner Giant Haystacks to get the strength to push it on at the windscreen pillar area.

20191115_112701.thumb.jpg.36a164b586f1f24d3d9ee8370ca562a5.jpg20191115_112714.thumb.jpg.355017625f0235fa22be5140c5bd6ae9.jpg

Lashed it with water and no leaks thus far.

15 hours ago, cms206 said:

My mum passed away today. She was 70.

I was only speaking to her on Tuesday afternoon.

Our relationship was never perfect... we were too alike and pig headed.

It fucking hurts.

Tell your mum you love her if you're lucky enough to still have  her

I lost my mum 24 years ago,she would have been 57 this year. Never gets easier but it's a case of carrying on mate. Thoughts with you and yours. Treasure what you have while you've got it. Drop me a message anytime day or night on here or Facebook 

Tyres. Faff? Not fekkin' half mate.

John (some Busman on here - cheers mate, you are a star, a STAR I say!) turned up to collect wheels and ran them down to ATS Euromaster. While we were waiting, we had a bet on how long we'd be ferkin' about. John said: 'up North 30 minutes tops'.

But you ain't up North, you're down here in the slow and soggy South mate...

I said 90 - 120 minutes. John said no....

About 100 minutes later we were on our way for John to deliver the old wheels back to my hovel.

To begin with, I was getting a tad irritated by just how slow everything was not happening and the bloke behind  the counter seemed to be a right surly miserable bastard. Then John sussed that the poor bloke actually doing the job was busy doing a million checks and writing it all down on his little electronic pad thing. It seems they have to check EVERYTHING!

Anyway, John and I went into the workshop (not allowed) and got talking to the chap doing the work, Chris, and he was a really nice guy and very good at his job, just not so good at being a secretary, his typing speed was dire! Once actually putting tyres on (bare) wheels speed increased to near light speed and a jolly good job was done.

I took the opportunity to have a look underneath the car and.... fuck me it's in really good condition! All the discs and pads are good, no rust underneath, no play, mint in fact and not a bloody Polo!  But, I noticed that the front bumper has a crack in it, right underneath so not currently showing but it looks like it will spread so a repair needs to be done. I suggested Duct tape, John suggested alloy plate and 4 rivets - the Autoshite is strong within us :)  

New wheels look great, fit properly and the ride doesn't seem any(much) worse on 35 profile tyres over 50s and I took it along the bumpiest, most pothled roads Torquay has to show and believe me, Torquay has some truly dire roads and all was good. It did do a funny grinding noise when I first got home and while John was here so he heard it, commented and took the piss but it hasn't done it since. However, I know what it was now: mudflap catching on the kerb as I roughly bumped up and turned carelessly.

So, many MANY thanks to John (Busmans Holiday) for all his help and a big 'UP' to BlackCircles for being half the price of everywhere elsin in the 'Bay.

44 minutes ago, xtriple said:

Tyres. Faff? Not fekkin' half mate.

John (some Busman on here - cheers mate, you are a star, a STAR I say!) turned up to collect wheels and ran them down to ATS Euromaster. While we were waiting, we had a bet on how long we'd be ferkin' about. John said: 'up North 30 minutes tops'.

But you ain't up North, you're down here in the slow and soggy South mate...

I said 90 - 120 minutes. John said no....

About 100 minutes later we were on our way for John to deliver the old wheels back to my hovel.

To begin with, I was getting a tad irritated by just how slow everything was not happening and the bloke behind  the counter seemed to be a right surly miserable bastard. Then John sussed that the poor bloke actually doing the job was busy doing a million checks and writing it all down on his little electronic pad thing. It seems they have to check EVERYTHING!

Anyway, John and I went into the workshop (not allowed) and got talking to the chap doing the work, Chris, and he was a really nice guy and very good at his job, just not so good at being a secretary, his typing speed was dire! Once actually putting tyres on (bare) wheels speed increased to near light speed and a jolly good job was done.

I took the opportunity to have a look underneath the car and.... fuck me it's in really good condition! All the discs and pads are good, no rust underneath, no play, mint in fact and not a bloody Polo!  But, I noticed that the front bumper has a crack in it, right underneath so not currently showing but it looks like it will spread so a repair needs to be done. I suggested Duct tape, John suggested alloy plate and 4 rivets - the Autoshite is strong within us :)  

New wheels look great, fit properly and the ride doesn't seem any(much) worse on 35 profile tyres over 50s and I took it along the bumpiest, most pothled roads Torquay has to show and believe me, Torquay has some truly dire roads and all was good. It did do a funny grinding noise when I first got home and while John was here so he heard it, commented and took the piss but it hasn't done it since. However, I know what it was now: mudflap catching on the kerb as I roughly bumped up and turned carelessly.

So, many MANY thanks to John (Busmans Holiday) for all his help and a big 'UP' to BlackCircles for being half the price of everywhere elsin in the 'Bay

It was excellent to meet you Xtriple, the fact you live 10 minutes walk from my place in Torquay, like dogs, cars, and gives me an excuse to talk b*ll*cks just adds to the fun. The paperwork these days at major companies is dire. Up north, remember my conversation about how long it took build the houses across the road (?), those tyres would be changed in about 15 minutes. 

It was though a pleasant afternoon, will see you next time I'm back.

42 minutes ago, xtriple said:

Cheers Jon, just bought you 2 randoms in the raffle for that Laguna :)  to say 'thank you'!

Ha,ha, thank you, errrrrrrr.

Anyway, sis lives down there, no doubt she'll be delighted* to fetch it up north for me then I can wrap it in Xmas paper and drop it outside your place, you know that you said you fancied a second car !!!!

Just after putting the CX on a transporter to go to Messieurs Dubois et Loizou. Very bad leak from water pump visible; transporter driver thinks he has spotted a split in one of the hoses connected to the pump. Grate.

Never rains but it pours. I bet the hose that's split is one of those that has been unobtainable for years. Wonder if generic hoses are any good?

There is a puddle of what looks like Bailey's Irish Cream on the driveway, but is actually leakage from the cooling system. 

20191116_120702.jpg

Thought I'd have a look at the Audi's bootlid this morning. It holds water out of the boot area fine but water is getting in and building up behind the inner trim panel. When you open the boot it gushes towards the leading edge and out from 2 gaps between the trim and the bootlid frame, soaking the contents of the boot. I rarely use the boot as it isn't a family car so I haven't investigated it up until now.

However as the Mini is currently withdrawn from service pending parts arrival the Audi is the family car for the weekend which entails shopping and using the boot. Mrs_Pin would not be impressed by what happens as described above.

Unscrewed the trim panel, lots of condensation as expected.

20191116_104821.thumb.jpg.1269f976f80a41a8baa4a11b35037d25.jpg

Can't see anywhere obvious that the water is getting in but eh, whats that holding in the brake light bulb bar??

20191116_104830.thumb.jpg.dd423e0ee4716f125dcdc9aed7c12b6a.jpg

Blue roll. Someone has busted out the screw holes when changing the bulbs. 

A more acceptable* fix of gaffa tape applied, at least it's not flammable.

Some sealant applied around the light on the outside too, in case thats where the water is getting in.

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Just after putting the CX on a transporter to go to Messieurs Dubois et Loizou. Very bad leak from water pump visible; transporter driver thinks he has spotted a split in one of the hoses connected to the pump. Grate.

Never rains but it pours. I bet the hose that's split is one of those that has been unobtainable for years. Wonder if generic hoses are any good?

There is a puddle of what looks like Bailey's Irish Cream on the driveway, but is actually leakage from the cooling system. 

20191116_120702.jpg

If your leaky hose still has sufficient integrity to be measured there are several companies that do custom silicone hoses; not cheap but more satisfactory than extra joints, hose clips and a tee piece.

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

20191116_120702.jpg

Not a good colour for coolant, or anything else really. I assume the leaves were already there and not expelled from the engine bay!