The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Checking over the Ka earlier as its only mot'd til next month. Couple of small holes in the sills nothing too bad....but behind the fuel filler its rotten! Totally crumbling away. Daft question and i think i already know the answer...but is this structural or am i better calling the scrappy? Potatocam pics....

20191110_142125.jpg

38 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Take care with jacking on tarmac, especially in warmer weather; the wheels on smaller trolley jacks aren't very big and put a lot of weight on a small area and tarmac can let them sink in, if holding a load on the jack put it on a bit of plywood or better still swap to axle stands, although some axle stands aren't great in this respect either.

See post from yesterday. Already covered and aware, but again thanks for your concern. 

23 hours ago, Yoss said:

Thanks for that, but don't worry, I never use OE jacks, certainly not at home anyway. I have one of these in the garage. 

9CCA2094-36C9-41BE-93A3-1C39D68A363E-huge.thumb.jpg.32caa9a8f2c0a9a93786dc365d510cb3.jpg

Which has a nice roller to spread the weight at the front. But even then I have a large sheet of steel that I'll be using for a while until it hardens properly. I used to do all my work in a council car park when I still lived at home. Different times etc.., you could get away with anything then. But they resurfaced all the car parks on the estate and they took a long time to harden properly. There are still triangular holes there where my axle stands sunk into the new tarmac. So yes, I shall be careful. Thanks anyway. 

Sorry, this one I mean. Multi quote not working. Or just confusing me. 

11 minutes ago, chancer said:

Checking over the Ka earlier as its only mot'd til next month. Couple of small holes in the sills nothing too bad....but behind the fuel filler its rotten! Totally crumbling away. Daft question and i think i already know the answer...but is this structural or am i better calling the scrappy? Potatocam pics....

20191110_142125.jpg

Ka gonna Ka.... 

Something incredibly rare happened today...

It didn’t rain!!

So, since it’s wet, cold and undoubtedly shit weather wise now for the foreseeable I used the dry day to dig out my dehumidifier trays and refill them with those weird crystal things that absorb moisture from the air. I’ve put two in each car and the van, should keep the damp and mould away from the interiors over winter. Also put a couple in the garage with the Capri, that should be ok without really but since I had them spare why not.

While doing this I thought I’d give the Mercury a check over since it’s been sat unused for the last three or four months. I’ve been busy with the Capri and other things and it’s been pretty much left and ignored for ages. The thought of selling it had entered my mind recently too.

It actually seems to be fine. Started up ok, though the battery was a little on the low charge side, but it fired straight up and ran lovely. Got it nice and warm and left the heater running for a while. Made me realise what a shit idea selling it is!! It’s such a cool car and it just sounds and feels magnificent once it’s running! Give it a quick rev and the whole body shakes and shudders! Power!!

For now, I’ve put some of the dehumidifier trays in it and covered it up but I’ve taken the battery out and left it on trickle charge for tonight. Next dry day off I get I’m going to get it out for a drive - road salt or not, it’s coming out!

2 hours ago, chancer said:

20191110_142125.jpg

Not at all, as long as there are no sharp edges and the fuel filler device seals properly you'll be fine. 

Sunny day means car fettlin' time, and the two projects I set myself were easily* achieved.

Back brakes on the Accord Coupe - second time they've started making squeaky bedspring noises when being used, so another strip down and regrease . Will take it for a hoon later, but am quietly confident. However, a new issue has emerged - the small nearside section of the boot behind the wheel was a paddling pool. Got the Pela out and sucked it dry. First thought was rear light gasket but in digging some more, I've come to realise it's a side effect of the significant nearside dent. Will have to get the bumper off and see if I can persuade the metal outwards and wang some mastic in there to seal up any holes. I want to Vactan this sucker before I sell it on, too:

IMG_20190702_183815954.thumb.jpg.090b242bed08ffaec2fa1840cfb01b66.jpg

Elsewhere the Rover 620's washer was not squirting water through the jets, and I'd identified a loose end  of pipe flapping around miserably in the bay. Unfortunately, to reconnect it meant the front nearside wheel had to come off, as did the arch liner. One section of pipe was fucked at both ends, so replaced that, threaded it through and we have washer jets again. The 620 was pure filth as well, so gave it a clean up.

Nice relaxed fettling session in lovely sunshine.

Neighbour came out and pointed at the 820 - 'Number 6 ?'. Yup. She was amazed when I told her I'd won it. I asked her whether the neighbours were getting twitchy about my car park space monopoly but she just laughed and pretty much said 'fuck em'. The good news is I'm not actually using any of the other residents' spaces at all, and there's still two spaces left.....hmmm.

Got the brake pads done on the Scudo today - wasn't too bad of a job but the offside is now binding slightly - I'll see if it clears up with use, if not I might have to whip the caliper off again and grease the sliders.

Also got the replacement heater matrix fitted, which was a twat of a job.  The old matrix was definitely blocked though - the van now gets lovely and warm inside.  I did a coolant change at the same time - it remains to be seen whether it's stopped losing coolant, at the moment it's still getting rid of airlocks etc.  I treated it to a new expansion cap as well as the old one looked rather gunged up.  Unfortunately the bypass switch to the heater blower has packed up - I think putting the full current through it might have been too much for it, so I'm going to put a relay back in the circuit, but wired in properly this time...

Hyundai is in for a test tomorrow morning - I think it'll fail on brakes as the handbrake is pants.  Might need other stuff as well, but because I got it so cheap I don't mind spending a few quid on it if need be.

BX has gone back to Stuno - many thanks sir! It was a fine steed for 2000kms of delicious New Zealand scenery.

Bought a new car. My first Australian car! Needs a headliner.

New car cost $2000 (£1000) to buy, which I think might have been a bit much given I've already spent $276  (about £132) on fixing the air con. My orifice tube was duff apparently.  Also needs two tyres before long and an alignment, but I'll get some kms on it first. Has 12 months of WOF (MOT) and six months of rego (tax). 4-litre six pot OHC with 211bhp and vast amounts of torque. Nice slush box. Very wafty. Really struggles for traction when it's wet or on gravel. So, fun. Hoping to meet up with Phil_lihp tomorrow as I head to South Island (he's on his way back up).

Heavy rain all night and yep, I definitely need that new door seal on the Audi. The towel I put in the seat bolster is soaking wet.

Getting messed around by 3 different supposedly reputable people on the Audi pages, all I want is that seal and have the money in my hand to pay for it. All they seem interested in selling are the high-value items. Another nail in the coffin of my enthusiasm for the car scene.

Mrs_brownnova looked out the window and said “have you been out to the car this morning?”

“No, why?” Quoth I 

“The drivers door is wide open” she exclaimed.

She wasn’t wrong. In our haste and full handedness yesterday I had closed the door with my foot, but not properly! It had blown open on the wind.

Thank Christ/Shiva/The Flying Spaghetti Monster/Mother nature that we live in the countryside where it’s quiet, or I’d have no Saab! 

Best bit...?

The battery wasn’t even flat B) 

21 hours ago, chancer said:

20191110_142125.jpg

You can get this panel from Ford , I have one for future Ka shenanigans ?20191111_115108.thumb.jpg.aad61a77edf885875bf1e84f4f99f2b8.jpg

For a time over the weekend, the Aero exhibited slight symptoms of its engine oil pickup strainer blocking up (flickering oil pressure light and top end tapping at idle), a very common problem which can be terminal if ignored. Accordingly, the car is to be 'rested' so that I can remove its sump and clean both it and the oil strainer. WCPGW?

23 minutes ago, rusty998 said:

You can get this panel from Ford , I have one for future Ka shenanigans ?20191111_115108.thumb.jpg.aad61a77edf885875bf1e84f4f99f2b8.jpg

So i guess thats not in any way structural then? Id love to give this car a chance, but that looks way out of my skillset. Shame as the wee car only has 74k on it and its like new inside. This Ka will be available in the next few weeks if you fancy using that part for it! ?

He's fine (been checked over by ambulance staff) but my brother-in-law wrote off his Citroen C2 this morning in an aquaplaning incident (hit the central reservation). Be careful out there folks, so much surface water even down here in the beautiful south. As Kent Police tweeted earlier...

Number of crashes this morning in the wet. We are at 4 different crashes and @HighwaysSEAST are with us and at others. Driving too fast or too close in the wet is a common theme. So slow it down people !!! #YouArentInBoats #BullseyeSpeedboatWinnerWeather SL

1 hour ago, chancer said:

So i guess thats not in any way structural then? Id love to give this car a chance, but that looks way out of my skillset. Shame as the wee car only has 74k on it and its like new inside. This Ka will be available in the next few weeks if you fancy using that part for it! ?

Send me a message as I am truly an idiot ?

I will be interested in buying it if it comes to that 

Car has now been recovered at some cost, straight to scrap yard by Kavanagh. I did venture the idea of getting it recovered to their house and selling some parts from it (it was a VTR or VTS with tan leather interior)...but they didn't...