The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The 620 has thrown a strop with the arrival of the 820 by somehow self-disconnecting its washer fluid hose going to the nozzles from the pump/bottle. Straightforward fix, surely, right ?

Nope, all the gubbins are hidden behind the front wheel arch trim, which means jack up and wheel off tomorrow. 

Then I need to sort out the back brakes on the Accord as that also has spat its dummy.

Once I get that sorted, I suspect the Accord will be looking for a new Autoshite owner. As much as I love everything about it, it just doesn't fit in the fleet for obvious reasons. 

Not to buy, a friend ( him with the Morgan, s class etc) has just bought it. Mainly i think because a friend of his in Marseille has one.

unfortunately it’s needing of more than a tickle with the sparkly stick. Despite looking lovely as is, it’s like a rotten pear. Does anyone have parts for a 1957 van? 

Just now, clayts450 said:

Cappuccino and a croissant please, my good bearded friend.

Now, harp( owner, like the alcohol) has said his step daughter has already suggested crepe from one side and ice cream the other.  The plan is to convert back to 425cc and get rid of the rot while preserving the patina. I’ve suggested anchor wax- any other suggestions? It has been varnished.

its currently on a modern* 602 but a drum brake box. The original engine and box are in the back. New chassis and floor and bulkhead replaced. But the rest needs a lot of welding.

3 hours ago, clayts450 said:

Leather* and wood* for the win, Mister ?

It has leather*, but no wood* sadly.  The leather* is about half a step up from a Project Drive Rover, so not the worst ever used in a Korean car but not exactly Connolly hide either.

3 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I thought these might be a logical progression from the Camry. What's your verdict on it?

Well this probably isn't the best example, being an ex-taxi with 280K on the clock, but it's not dissimilar to the Camry in some ways, being a big roomy slightly bland barge with not a great deal of feel through the steering.  Ride is firmer than a Camry, though not overly hard.  It has the typical Korean feel of being well screwed together from relatively cheap components.  The diesel engine pulls well and seems pretty good on fuel (did the 200 miles back from Congleton on £20 of diesel), but you do have to work the gearbox as the gears are very close together (it's a 6-speed, but 60mph in 6th is 2,000rpm so it's not particularly high geared by modern diesel standards).  I imagine a V6 auto petrol would be a relaxing beast, but the VED on those is a bit silly.  Seats are comfy, although the driver's seat only just goes back far enough for me - I do like to drive stretched out though.

Apart from a bit of vibration at idle (don't think the DMF is in the first flush of youth), a slightly feeble heater and an occasional noise which sounds like a wheel bearing on its way out, I can't really fault this one.  Yes it's been well maintained being a cab for most of its life, but the fact that a 280K Korean car can still drive so well means that they must have done something right...

Anyway, it's booked in for an MOT on Monday so we shall see what we shall see.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - I stopped at Asda in Grantham for a bite to eat.  Came back out again and there was another silver Sonata parked two spaces away.  Guess what I did?  Yep.  Unfortunately managed to time it just when the owner of the other Sonata was coming out of the shop, so couldn't really pretend that it hadn't happened either.  :oops:

The Mini started chugging again in Cumbernauld Town Centre car park this afternoon before conking out altogether. 

Thankfully it wasn't in the middle of a busy junction or something.

The dead o2 sensors which I believe are the cause look like a right laugh to access and change out. A special o2 sensor socket is meant to help with this. Many skint knuckles look likely!

Glad you sold the wheels from the Audi, I made an utterly derisory offer on a set of genuine AMG wheels, and I mean Cavcraft type derisory, insulting type... and I new it would never be accepted.

Just got the dreaded 'pay now!'  e-mail!So now I need tyres which even if I buy mingebag tyres will cost more than the wheels. I won't though cos I am a tyre snob... something else for me to be ashamed of :( 

On 11/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, Yoss said:

We have a new drive for Felicia to leak oil over. A simple tarmac affair. We looked at block paving but it was more than twice the price, would have shown oil leaks and be more awkward for jacking up cars. 

Take care with jacking on tarmac, especially in warmer weather; the wheels on smaller trolley jacks aren't very big and put a lot of weight on a small area and tarmac can let them sink in, if holding a load on the jack put it on a bit of plywood or better still swap to axle stands, although some axle stands aren't great in this respect either.

Checking over the Ka earlier as its only mot'd til next month. Couple of small holes in the sills nothing too bad....but behind the fuel filler its rotten! Totally crumbling away. Daft question and i think i already know the answer...but is this structural or am i better calling the scrappy? Potatocam pics....

20191110_142125.jpg

38 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Take care with jacking on tarmac, especially in warmer weather; the wheels on smaller trolley jacks aren't very big and put a lot of weight on a small area and tarmac can let them sink in, if holding a load on the jack put it on a bit of plywood or better still swap to axle stands, although some axle stands aren't great in this respect either.

See post from yesterday. Already covered and aware, but again thanks for your concern. 

23 hours ago, Yoss said:

Thanks for that, but don't worry, I never use OE jacks, certainly not at home anyway. I have one of these in the garage. 

9CCA2094-36C9-41BE-93A3-1C39D68A363E-huge.thumb.jpg.32caa9a8f2c0a9a93786dc365d510cb3.jpg

Which has a nice roller to spread the weight at the front. But even then I have a large sheet of steel that I'll be using for a while until it hardens properly. I used to do all my work in a council car park when I still lived at home. Different times etc.., you could get away with anything then. But they resurfaced all the car parks on the estate and they took a long time to harden properly. There are still triangular holes there where my axle stands sunk into the new tarmac. So yes, I shall be careful. Thanks anyway. 

Sorry, this one I mean. Multi quote not working. Or just confusing me. 

11 minutes ago, chancer said:

Checking over the Ka earlier as its only mot'd til next month. Couple of small holes in the sills nothing too bad....but behind the fuel filler its rotten! Totally crumbling away. Daft question and i think i already know the answer...but is this structural or am i better calling the scrappy? Potatocam pics....

20191110_142125.jpg

Ka gonna Ka....