The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

We have a new drive for Felicia to leak oil over. A simple tarmac affair. We looked at block paving but it was more than twice the price, would have shown oil leaks and be more awkward for jacking up cars. 

IMG_20191108_144348.thumb.jpg.f620523ab2c9a00fb5131762f624900d.jpg

Had it widened a bit too. It was always a bit tight getting out the passenger side, now it's much better. Also gives me more room to get round a car when washing it. 

From the garage end. 

IMG_20191108_150609.thumb.jpg.55c2a50a0ed2d3e8c5ff43e00ac826f0.jpg

It arrived in a big lorry. 

IMG_20191108_134610.thumb.jpg.9ab81de95824a3296092704fda1b1a37.jpg

These people did our friends drive and it looked OK so we thought we'd give them a ring. Rang them Tuesday afternoon. Bloke says he'd come and have a look, is 8.30 tomorrow morning (Wednesday) OK? By luck that was my day off. He turns up at 07.55 gave me a quote much cheaper than I was expecting. He said this was because they already had another job in the area. Sounds like sales speak but it was a good price. So when is it likely to be? 'I'll send a couple of my guys round this afternoon to start taking this (the old drive) up'. Blimey, ok. They turned up at 11.45 and by the end of the day our crappy old crazy paving was gone, less than than 24 hours after the first phone call. Yesterday they levelled it all and added some hardcore where it was being widened and by 2 o'clock this afternoon we had a new drive. I wish all tradesmen were that quick. 

The old drive looked like this. IMAG0077.thumb.jpg.2e602c916c78156d47867537a135b68b.jpg

IMAG0075_BURST002.thumb.jpg.a37045a2569289de0540a4e7e032a221.jpg

Mrs Yoss hated it and it was a constant battle to deweed it. Not ideal for using engine cranes either. 

And this front edge had broken up since this picture was taken. 

DSC04116.thumb.JPG.35a6071c3505eca8425d04484eefc87e.JPG

And a few months ago I managed to trip over a bit of it whilst carrying the glass recycling box and landed face first in said box whilst also skinning both knees and six knuckles on the way down. At 5am. So I'm pleased to see the back of it too. 

Now I need to try and sort the Felicia's oil leak. 

Getting the ferry back from Holland after spending 5 weeks here working.

Holland is not what it used to be that's for sure. The farmers are protesting

against the new regulations about cows farting, construction is stopped 

because the ground is polluted, the hospitals are striking and so are the teachers.

There are shootings every week and synthetic drugs, xtc, amphetamine, crack etc

are becoming a huge problem. Xtc is now 1.50 euros a time which is less than a small beer

and the youngsters here are buying shit loads to go partying on a weekend. The chemical

shit left over is getting dumped in the canals and making more pollution. 

It's all going to hell in a bucket which is a real shame coz I really like being here and have 

more friends here than in the uk. A lot of them are leaving to live in France or further afield.

Anyhoo, my old van is behaving itself as it usually does, and I got 61 mpg on the way here.

1 hour ago, puddlethumper said:

.....Holland is not what it used to be that's for sure. .....

There are shootings every week and synthetic drugs, xtc, amphetamine, crack etc. are becoming a huge problem. Xtc is now 1.50 euros a time which is less than a small beer and the youngsters here are buying shit loads to go partying on a weekend. The chemical shit left over is getting dumped in the canals and making more pollution. 

It's all going to hell in a bucket which is a real shame coz I really like being here and have more friends here than in the uk. A lot of them are leaving to live in France or further afield....

That sounds like the payback for turning a blind eye to the drugs "culture". But don't worry,  Britain and Ireland are inexorably going the same way so we'll all be meeting in Hell at some stage. 

14 hours ago, Yoss said:

We have a new drive for Felicia to leak oil over. A simple tarmac affair. We looked at block paving but it was more than twice the price, would have shown oil leaks and be more awkward for jacking up cars.

Be careful using a jack on that new drive. 

Changing wheels on a friend's Mk2 Cavalier on his tarmac drive with the crappy Vauxhall Jack, the jack sank into the tarmac and folded under the car just as the front wheel was coming off. 

Luckily the drive shaft nut caught on the wheel centre and held the car off the ground or it could have been much worse. 

Do not trust OE jacks or tarmac drives. 

Use a bit of hard wood as a spreader at least. 

First MOT of the Lorinser SEC 500  since I got it. No dinosaur killers found and a good chance for me to have a looky see underneath as it's too low to put on ramps or jack easily. The only comment was a fuel weep from the Chinese pump I fitted when trying to cure the cutting out problem. It'll be garaged over the winter and I want to do the timing chain and a few other bits before spring. It also wants the tyres skipping unless anyone wants any 1999 Nankang M+S that go out of round if parked for 10 days.... I didn't have any worries really but the pass is always nice, even the occasional ABS flicker stayed away and didn't stab me in the back.

1626398581_Nov2019054.thumb.jpg.83ff563640be859ee2af1b461d0d4d6c.jpg

I have been ignoring a small split on my voyager exhaust for 3 and a half months.

It's been very noisey for the last 3 months

In a act of extreme exertion I have dragged my arse out of bed before 11am and popped to work to have a look.

It's split and rusted out over half way round the middle box.

So up on the 'portable lift' and a quick buzz with the welder. Hopefully it will at least last to mot time :-)

20191109_112035_001.jpg

20191109_112018.jpg

20191109_114656.jpg

I've finally got my c15 back on the road after taking it apart to do a little bit of welding at the bottom of the inner wings. So that turned out to be repair both sills, inner and outer, both inner wings and A posts, passenger floor, both headlight panels, front cross member and nearside chassis leg. Two new wings and bonnet lobbed on as originals turned out to be rotten too. New brake Flexi hoses, brake fluid flushed, and I fitted visa headlights as I prefer the indicators in the heaslights. Just need to sort out a bonnet trim now. Thankfully it drives lovely again. Now just the small matter of a mot due in just over a month.  Photo flatters it, the new offside wing is wobbly, paintwork terrible and laquer peel all over. Next year I'll sort out the more cosmetic welding needed, replace the full sills as I've tracked some down and I might even lob some paint on it.  I love this little van.IMG_20191109_104015.thumb.jpg.200ed7fc78b9c2e9470cc0cd0c34a4ae.jpg

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

Too big for my liking  , are they x5 wheels ?

Yeah x5 19s 10 inch wide rears. Had a set of 216s on one before. Nice wheels but too much for me I paid less for these with tyres than a set of 216 motorsports go for without tyres 

47 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

I've finally got my c15 back on the road after taking it apart to do a little bit of welding at the bottom of the inner wings. So that turned out to be repair both sills, inner and outer, both inner wings and A posts, passenger floor, both headlight panels, front cross member and nearside chassis leg. Two new wings and bonnet lobbed on as originals turned out to be rotten too. New brake Flexi hoses, brake fluid flushed, and I fitted visa headlights as I prefer the indicators in the heaslights. Just need to sort out a bonnet trim now. Thankfully it drives lovely again. Now just the small matter of a mot due in just over a month.  Photo flatters it, the new offside wing is wobbly, paintwork terrible and laquer peel all over. Next year I'll sort out the more cosmetic welding needed, replace the full sills as I've tracked some down and I might even lob some paint on it.  I love this little van.IMG_20191109_104015.thumb.jpg.200ed7fc78b9c2e9470cc0cd0c34a4ae.jpg

I thought you were going for pig noise?

26 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I thought you were going for pig noise?

I need to find a visa lower valance to do it. I've got visa headlights in now so that's the lighting sorted out. To fit the pig nose I just need to adapt the crash bar behind the bumper which is easy enough but i can't find that valance panel anywhere. Hopefully will find one at a citroen show next year. If that fails I'm going to have to make something to cover the cross member and wiring harness as it looks weird without it. 

4 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Be careful using a jack on that new drive. 

Changing wheels on a friend's Mk2 Cavalier on his tarmac drive with the crappy Vauxhall Jack, the jack sank into the tarmac and folded under the car just as the front wheel was coming off. 

Luckily the drive shaft nut caught on the wheel centre and held the car off the ground or it could have been much worse. 

Do not trust OE jacks or tarmac drives. 

Use a bit of hard wood as a spreader at least. 

Thanks for that, but don't worry, I never use OE jacks, certainly not at home anyway. I have one of these in the garage. 

9CCA2094-36C9-41BE-93A3-1C39D68A363E-huge.thumb.jpg.32caa9a8f2c0a9a93786dc365d510cb3.jpg

Which has a nice roller to spread the weight at the front. But even then I have a large sheet of steel that I'll be using for a while until it hardens properly. I used to do all my work in a council car park when I still lived at home. Different times etc.., you could get away with anything then. But they resurfaced all the car parks on the estate and they took a long time to harden properly. There are still triangular holes there where my axle stands sunk into the new tarmac. So yes, I shall be careful. Thanks anyway.