The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

A few days late, but as this is the first time I've walked past it in daylight - what do you do when your Renault is broken and you need transport? 

IMG_20191107_072322.thumb.jpg.1a3b2e1071075e8471138782a843f30f.jpg

Can't actually remember when I last saw one, and it seemed to cope just fine with being smacked down the M5 at the weekend. Heater is a bit feeble though, I was going to go out and give the pollen filter a hard stare earlier but toddler stopped play... 

1 hour ago, angle said:

A few days late, but as this is the first time I've walked past it in daylight - what do you do when your Renault is broken and you need transport? 

IMG_20191107_072322.thumb.jpg.1a3b2e1071075e8471138782a843f30f.jpg

Can't actually remember when I last saw one, and it seemed to cope just fine with being smacked down the M5 at the weekend. Heater is a bit feeble though, I was going to go out and give the pollen filter a hard stare earlier but toddler stopped play... 

Almost identical to the one I had. Fantastic cars. I paid £160 for mine in 2016, 7 months MOT and never missed a beat. It's still going somewhere.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:44 AM, Ghosty said:

I now have a sort-of job/paid training/whatever in a bike shop that has the potential to become a full time position, and I'm done with my studies at least for now. That was a stroke of luck and it's keeping me afloat. Mental health is up and down but I'm a lot better on the whole than I have been for a while. 

In my fledgling adult life, I can't afford to take as many liberties any more, and a sensible daily driver is needed now to counterpart the Jag.  The Volvo is sadly no longer justifiable for me as my daily driver - I need something slightly smaller and more economical, but that can still fit a bicycle sometimes,  is still automatic, and most importantly, that I can insure; that's pure roulette now.

\o/ yay for the job

car wise- smoll good on juice with either of these accessories is what you need

152593848_towbarrack.jpg.61488112c1a0e7f4cccb2250e345834b.jpg2038029225_roofrack.jpg.c47827b51a964e2635fab7ee59af663f.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ghosty said:
13 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:
\o/ yay for the job
car wise- smoll good on juice with either of these accessories is what you need
152593848_towbarrack.jpg.61488112c1a0e7f4cccb2250e345834b.jpg2038029225_roofrack.jpg.c47827b51a964e2635fab7ee59af663f.jpg

I've bought a 306 estate!

I can say from personal experience that 306 estate will fit a bike.

I should never have sold mine, especially considering what I replaced it with.

I had a 306 estate 2.0HDi that I'd put a cheeky 120hp remap on back in 2013-2014. It drove like a warm / hot hatch but ran on all but thin air. It was brilliant.

Then I replaced it with that fucking Audi A4 1.8T quattro that ate money like it was going out of fashion.

Have a picture of it. I miss it more, now. Seeing how good it looked.

CAM00283.thumb.jpg.a69fd1f25289487a53d69c7c0af7bc45.jpg

Just now, Kiltox said:

1.2? Have seen a couple of Corsa Cs with HGF but not normally low milers.

Sure it’s not just a fucked water pump ?

Aye 1.2, she had the thermostat replaced 2 weeks ago as her garage thought that was the problem, temp warning came back on yesterday and apparently the coolant is low, no sign of a leak anywhere. Going to have a look myself over the weekend

On 11/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, RobT said:

Weak heaters must be a thing with 90s Renaults.  My old Safrane and last year's Laguna were the same.  This V6 one I've got now is better.  Partly due to the giffer owner pulling cardboard in front of the radiator!

20191102_161313.thumb.jpg.fcadf25dded26042723fb6dd153d6440.jpg

Take that straight out m8 and replace with fire retardant correx or similar.

13 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

My sister's 2012 56k mile Corsa has suspected OMGHGF.  Are all of these particular Voxholl's megashit or is she unlucky ?

Watch out before spending. The waterpump on these is a weird massive thing that is bolted onto the upper half of the removable timing case. There is a gasket inside the timing case that seals a water channel, presumably from the head, through the case and to the WP. This is a known weak point and when it fails it causes the coolant and oil to mix, giving the symptoms of HGF.

4 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Watch out before spending. The waterpump on these is a weird massive thing that is bolted onto the upper half of the removable timing case. There is a gasket inside the timing case that seals a water channel, presumably from the head, through the case and to the WP. This is a known weak point and when it fails it causes the coolant and oil to mix, giving the symptoms of HGF.

Thanks for the info !

Smoll update on my previous posts on my mates 1 series bmw.

Apparently I am now his diagnostic first line.

So far i have struggled through inoperative electronic steering lock, radio recoding , immobiliser reprogramming and several other stupid computer related issues.

It's come back with airbag/seat belt light on

On closer inspection it appears to have an intermittent fault in the explosive disconnect on the battery positive terminal.

What the actual fuck is that was my first response. Not come across one before but apparently it's a thing.

I cleared the code as mot is due and left him to reset the connectors to see if it comes back.

I was also asked to reset the service light as he has done engine and brake service.

That went as well as expected.

There are 5 or six items on the conditional service list that need resetting. All fine except the front brakes.

On reset they showed 255% and then threw a code for implausible data which would not clear.

Further research shows this is another 'common' issue when new wear sensors are not fitted. Old one was fine apparently.

At 7pm at night the fix was to disconnect the loom to the sensor, jumper the two feed wires and then perform the reset. Replugged the sensor and currently all lights are off.

All through this procedure my buddy was telling me that what I was doing was wrong and couldn't possibly work. This really sets off my autism. I can't deal with people who ask me to do stuff for them and then tell me what/how to do the thing they getting me to do.

After that I went to my dads to look at some garden tools.

He seems to pay a 'gardener' to come round and break stuff.

Chainsaw and chainsaw on a pole both with jammed/fallen off chains.

I was presented with a box full of bits as my dad 'had had a look at them'

The bar on one apparently was bent but he had staightened it already, reassembly was halted by the chainbrake not fitting back on.

I sorted that, all the while being told I was doing it wrong.

The chainsaw on a pole after much pissing about seems to have an issue with the teeth meshing in the gearbox. I think either the gearshaft or bearing cover is bent enough to jam the teeth.

Cue 45 minutes googling the poxy home shopping channel 'multitool' and I have ordered a whole new generic gearbox from China. £14 and i don't have to worry about putting back together for a month :-D

Tldr: bmws are unreliable and have too many electronics, people are annoying and gardeners are more so.

Found myself rambling on about shit for no good reason. You realise this once your posts get moderated and someone has or will be offended and slipped the hint in. That's not my cause. From experience this means that I'm spending way too much time on things that don't need that time spent on them and I can be more productive doing other things... A wake up call I suppose. Not the first time this has happened on a site on the web, probably won't be the last, but a break and time away from not only here but other places is calling. No malice intended. I guess I'll check back now and then as you do, some of the material on here is fantastic and very well done and dare I say it, un-missable! 

Made some good acquaintances here and some I'll never fathom out, ever, but that is what make this place great. Hopefully won't be too long, but if it is, have a great holiday period and a fantastic shite filled 2020!

Thanks.

I must still love the 75 as I have just spent another £60 (incl. postage) on it.  That has bagged me a replacement rear seat cushion in the correct colour leather, to replace the existing one which is ripped tae feck, and an offside boot trim panel in the right colour of carpet as the original is MIA - particularly pleased with this one as the panels for cars with sat nav are A. completely different and B. like rocking horse poo.