The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The amount of middle lane buffoonery evident on the M1 between Jcts 19 and 26 yesterday at two different times of the day was jaw-dropping. 

Numpty of the Day award goes to the prick in the Fiat something crawling along in lane 2 at 60 mph, completely oblivious to his surroundings. Undertook him at legal speed, looked over, glued to his phone.  Looked in the mirror - everyone followed my lead and undertook him too.

I do try to do the right thing but it soon becomes very tiresome moving into lane 3 to overtake these idiots then pull back into lanes 2 and 1.  In the end I thought fuck it, kept to a legal limit and just undertook them. The only danger with so doing is that the MLM stirs briefly from their slumber and pulls into lane 1 without checking their n/s mirror, so I tend to edge past them. I always look over at the driver. 99.9% of the time completely oblivious.

These arseholes are simply bags of swag waiting to be plucked off by Highways Agency (forget the rozzers, I ain't see a traffic cop parked up on the motorway for years) but they do fuck all about them.

I reckon Joe Public should be able to go vigilante on these idiots, send in a 5 minute CAMRAH viddy and get 50% of the 100 quid fine.

Exciting news from the barefoot stable; The Rover 75, settling down nicely into its regular commute, taking the wife four junctions up the motorway and back, has managed an impressive 29.2 from the last tankful. I don't think that's bad at all from a 2.5 litre V6/Bader box driven briskly* in rush hour traffic. That's brim to brim with proper maths, the on board trip computer thing reckons it's doing nearly 40mpg!

Anyway, with that rant exorcised, today I finished off the speaker upgrade to the Rover 620. Bagged some cheap Pioneers from Halfords a few weeks back, but the old spacers didn't work with them. Spotted some solid MDF ones on eBay for a Honda S2000 that looked similar to the Rover 600. Fitted perfectly with the Pioneers - banged out some loud Prodigy tunes and rewarded with crystal clear music, rather than the pathetic fart from the gubbed OEM Goodmans' speakers which had all but disintegrated.

Elsewhere, finally managed to ring the Council today about the lack of key-lock interfacery on my new garage. I explained the keys were completely wrong, didn't fit no matter what angle or contortionisms I used. They then said they'd cancel the tenancy and I said 'Noooooooooooo...' (been on waiting list 11 months), I said I'd wait until their Voids team either (1) gave the housing team the right fucking keys or (2) fitted another lock. She said 'oh, you are nice...yes we can do that for you'.

Damned shame as it's a brand new door on the garage, so no doubt they'll wreck it now.

1 hour ago, clayts450 said:

The amount of middle lane buffoonery evident on the M1 between Jcts 19 and 26 yesterday at two different times of the day was jaw-dropping. 

Numpty of the Day award goes to the prick in the Fiat something crawling along in lane 2 at 60 mph, completely oblivious to his surroundings. Undertook him at legal speed, looked over, glued to his phone.  Looked in the mirror - everyone followed my lead and undertook him too.

I do try to do the right thing but it soon becomes very tiresome moving into lane 3 to overtake these idiots then pull back into lanes 2 and 1.  In the end I thought fuck it, kept to a legal limit and just undertook them. The only danger with so doing is that the MLM stirs briefly from their slumber and pulls into lane 1 without checking their n/s mirror, so I tend to edge past them. I always look over at the driver. 99.9% of the time completely oblivious.

These arseholes are simply bags of swag waiting to be plucked off by Highways Agency (forget the rozzers, I ain't see a traffic cop parked up on the motorway for years) but they do fuck all about them.

I reckon Joe Public should be able to go vigilante on these idiots, send in a 5 minute CAMRAH viddy and get 50% of the 100 quid fine.

I usually stay in lane1 and occasionally pass people on the left by doing so. I do give a blast on the horn though purely to warn them of my presence ( they’re obviously oblivious to most things).

1 minute ago, richardmorris said:

I usually stay in lane1 and occasionally pass people on the left by doing so. I do give a blast on the horn though purely to warn them of my presence ( they’re obviously oblivious to most things).

Joined the M62 from the M57 this morning.  I was running a little late, so joining it after 6:15 instead of before 6:00. 

The traffic was slowish getting slower towards the M6.  Before junction 8 it's pretty much 60 mph in the fast lane, 62 mph in the middle lane, 63 mph in the slow lane. After Junction 9 its down to 50 in all lanes.

Anyway.  Whilst in the outside lane I was tailed gated by a white Range Rover. 

Some sort of Arab/Middle Eastern number plates. 

Anyway i moved over, let him tailgate the next car, who insisted on brake testing him more than a couple of times. I moved to the inside lane and watch a van undertake the range rover. And then the range rover start to flash the car in front. Then the van pulled straight in front of the range rover, the car moved to the middle lane, and slow down so he was along side said range rover.  Then both those lanes slowed down and I sailed on past in the inside lane at about 45 mph. 

15 minutes later going over the Thelwall viaduct, the Range Rover passes me doing about 90 mph.  I've set the cruise to 70 at this point. 

Later as I go past the M56 junction I see the range rover trying to force his way in to the slower traffic waiting to go off. 

Such great road sense. 

23 minutes ago, New POD said:

Joined the M62 from the M57 this morning.  I was running a little late, so joining it after 6:15 instead of before 6:00. 

The traffic was slowish getting slower towards the M6.  Before junction 8 it's pretty much 60 mph in the fast lane, 62 mph in the middle lane, 63 mph in the slow lane. After Junction 9 its down to 50 in all lanes.

Anyway.  Whilst in the outside lane I was tailed gated by a white Range Rover. 

Some sort of Arab/Middle Eastern number plates. 

Anyway i moved over, let him tailgate the next car, who insisted on brake testing him more than a couple of times. I moved to the inside lane and watch a van undertake the range rover. And then the range rover start to flash the car in front. Then the van pulled straight in front of the range rover, the car moved to the middle lane, and slow down so he was along side said range rover.  Then both those lanes slowed down and I sailed on past in the inside lane at about 45 mph. 

15 minutes later going over the Thelwall viaduct, the Range Rover passes me doing about 90 mph.  I've set the cruise to 70 at this point. 

Later as I go past the M56 junction I see the range rover trying to force his way in to the slower traffic waiting to go off. 

Such great road sense. 

Gulf Arab motorists think they can do as they please when they bring their cars over here, and frequently do.

23 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

In the case of all the Estimas that would undoubtedly join, many, many head gaskets.

(or did you miss out on the hordes of grey-import diesel Estimas down under?)

We definitely did not miss out, there is no shortage of grey import people carriers around here. Very popular with the budget backpacker rental businesses.

49 minutes ago, dome said:

Bought a new car last night as a winter beater.

Cheap as chips with long MOT but not exciting

I'll not let on what it is but I've just ordered 8 spark plugs for it. Go on, have a guess what it is?

It's some sort of italian exotica with a  V12 twin spark that needs 24 plugs, but you are a tight arse.

4 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

We definitely did not miss out, there is no shortage of grey import people carriers around here. Very popular with the budget backpacker rental businesses.

Call me boring if you like, but I've never felt a burning desire to rent a budget backpacker - or is it a euphemism?

Ok so..I've had a lot of contemplating over my E39 recently. A couple of things caught my eye as you know I go through cars like Jim Bell does...perhaps more. However, by chance an absolute beauty popped up and I agreed a deal. It's a rare car, and it's identical on insurance and tbh, also on fuel if anything. I can't fathom diesel. So I potentially should be picking this up Friday...

S70 T5...with one owner from new..and absolutely full and comprehensive history with stacks and stacks of bills and reciepts. Only negative being a scrape near the front bumper.  

What do you think eh?

Screenshot_20191105_172210.jpg

Screenshot_20191105_172223.jpg

Screenshot_20191105_172232.jpg

3 hours ago, Eddie Honda said:

Honda Jazz?

8 because iDsi engine.

We have a winner!

Octavia is out on sale or return to Fraz on here. I've decided to go down the winter beater route so picked up a cheap Jazz with a noisy gearbox and giffer repairs last night. No pics as the rain was biblical and it's been dumped at my work. Will update my thread, plan is a service and poke around it then press it into daily driver duties

And I bought another Cavalier to say I'll never sell again.  It's a good one, I'll never sell it.  Really.
For maximum creepiness it was used in a reconstruction of the 1998 Real IRA Omagh bombing as the bomb car.  And staying in character, it actually caught fire the other night but only the exhaust rubbers burned.  Here it is pictured with some of the branches that extinguished it.74612516_149505179776228_5221888282916290560_n.thumb.jpg.03e136b2d4dad6aef226573502354f89.jpg